OSX El Capitain has broken PoE

Kel27

Question

So I (foolishly) installed El Capitain the other night only to discover that it has broken PoE.  When I launch the game all I get is a black screen with the menu music. The game does work if I use CMD+F to switch to windowed mode, but there is also a noticable fps drop since installing El Capitain (so much for Metal). Switching back to full screen makes the game screen freeze (music still plays normally).  

Anyone running 10.11 without any issues? I'm considering reverting to Yosemite.

• Like 1

So I (foolishly) installed El Capitain the other night only to discover that it has broken PoE.  When I launch the game all I get is a black screen with the menu music. The game does work if I use CMD+F to switch to windowed mode, but there is also a noticable fps drop since installing El Capitain (so much for Metal). Switching back to full screen makes the game screen freeze (music still plays normally).  

Anyone running 10.11 without any issues? I'm considering reverting to Yosemite.

Hi,

I'm using "El Capitan" on my MBP (15 inches, late 2013) since the first beta versions and I have no such issue. I guess it depends on your graphical card. 

Maybe a problem with the drivers ? For me, no problem for both NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and Intel Iris Pro (I did not test it before but it works surprisingly well with POE).

Thanks for the reply. Forgot to say I'm using a late 2012 iMac with a Nvidia Geforce GT 640M. 

Just an update :  I have searched the internet and found alot of other osx users with black screen issues.  I tried some of their suggested fixes and found loading the game up not throught steam but going to the PoE folder in steamapps/common works fine.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by Kel27

Same problem here - black screen unless I switch to windowed mode. I'm not running through Steam. I bought POE on App Store. No sign of 2.0.2 there as yet.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Manifests here as well. iMac 27" late 2013, 3.4GHz i5, GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB. 

(Just tried it out of curiosity as I boot into Windows for gaming anyway; most games including Pillars just perform so much better.)

Edit: Shadowrun: Hong Kong is similarly broken, so this seems to be an issue common to Unity.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I was able to download version 2.0.2 from the app store and then verify payment for The White March. I popped in, took a look around, then saved and exited. When I tried to open the game again, I could only get this message:  "“PillarsOfEternity is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “PillarsOfEternity” and download it again from the App Store." I really enjoy this game, and I am really hope that all of my character leveling and solved quests are not lost in the shuffle. I'm going to hold off on the deleting & re-dowloading to see if some patch can be cooked up. Best of luck in getting your problems solved.

• Like 1

I just purchased the game a week back and have had a great time playing it. I have now encountered this black screen with only the hand courser problem on startup. It was starting fine for the last week. I play the game through Steam. I might be wrong but it seemed to start happening with the new

2.02 patch. I also up graded to OS X El Capitan a few days back. Is there a connection with either? Why would it work for a week and then start happening? 

What is the update on a fix? 

Thanks for any help.

iMac 27"

Processor 3.4 GHz intel core i5

Memory 8 GB

GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 775M 2048MB  ( Newest Drivers) 

Dev post on Steam forums:

sorry for the trouble and thanks for letting us know. We've had several reports of crashing on high end Macs (in comparison lower end Macs, for instance with integrated video cards work just fine!) and we are investigating.

As soon as we find anything out we will definitely patch it and let you guys know.

Would be good if devs would provide feedback here.

I was able to download version 2.0.2 from the app store and then verify payment for The White March. I popped in, took a look around, then saved and exited. When I tried to open the game again, I could only get this message:  "“PillarsOfEternity is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “PillarsOfEternity” and download it again from the App Store." I really enjoy this game, and I am really hope that all of my character leveling and solved quests are not lost in the shuffle. I'm going to hold off on the deleting & re-dowloading to see if some patch can be cooked up. Best of luck in getting your problems solved.

I had the exact same issue but running Yosemite 10.10.5. Deleted, downloaded, and reinstalled and seems ok mostly. Looks like a few items disappeared and when traveling on the world map, the buttons (cancel or accept I think) are missing when the dialog box tells you how many hours the trip will take. Luckily I have pretty good muscle memory, you can click in appropriate area and you can make the trip (or cancel it). 

• Like 2

Instruction on where to and how to obtain a players log please and I would be happy to.

Here are my machine specs again.

iMac 27"

OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Processor 3.4 GHz intel core i5

Memory 8 GB

GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 775M 2048MB  (Newest Drivers) 

Edited by Johnny925

Why don't you use the How to report an Issue link? :)

Important Files:

If the files are too large to attach separately, compile them all in a .zip and make a link to Dropbox with the .zip

Attach files that will help the dev team figure out and resolve the issue. These include:

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Mac Location: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Mac Location: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

System Specs

This will give us most of your computer specs to help us diagnose the problem

Mac Location: Click the Apple button in the corner of the screen, Click "About This Mac", Click "More Info", Copy and paste the Model and Year, Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Software information

Screenshots

Attach any pictures or links to pictures that can help us understand the issue

Thanks for your response Conjurer. I didn't use the Report an Issue link because:

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Mac Location: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

The folder "Pillars of Eternity" doesn't exist (or is hidden?)

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Mac Location: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

The folder "Unity" doesn't exist (or is hidden?)

OS X El Capitan (10.11)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

I'm not generally a complainer but I have to say I'm singularity unimpressed with the lack of Dev response on these forums. I bought a game, it doesn't work. That's the bottom line. I'm not the slightest bit interested if Unity is responsible - I don't want to read excuse posts from Obsidian. The game publishers are duty bound to produce a product which is fit for purpose.  This is not! I'm a busy person and relax from time to time with my Mac. Hunting for non-existent files isn't my idea of relaxation. 

Dev posted:

Hello everyone,

Could you all please upload a players log and post them here? And post your system specs if you haven't already.

Thank you for your support!

Obsidian's instructions for doing this are outdated and no further advice was forthcoming from Aarik D despite being asked. So much for customer relations! If I displayed this level of incompetence in my own job I wouldn't last long.

Please do something to fix the problems. If nothing can be done I would like a refund.

Well, give them time. The devs answer quite a lot of questions compared to devs of other games...

I play another online game where since 1 month people can not play the game without frequent crashing,having serve lag etc. After 3 weeks of complaining with no feedback about this issue, one dev said they know and we should not bother them asking the same question over and over again. And we only asked because we had no feedback at all...

Compared to this Obsidian does a terrific job.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the delay. We work regular hours here at the office and aren't online 24/7. The ~Library folder is hidden, but it should be accessed the same way it is accessed in OSX Yosemite. 

From Finder > hold down the Option key, then choose Go > Library.  Another way of accessing the folder: From Finder > select the Go Tab > Click on Go to folder > type in ~/Library > Press Go > Logs Folder > Unity Folder > Player.log

Please keep in mind that OSX El Capitan was released only 6 days ago (according to the apple site), things don't always work out in the early stages of release. We are currently looking into the situation and trying to resolve this quickly. 

Thank you for your support and patience.

• Like 2