White march stalwart burning house decisions..

So I see I can save the woman and guard or take the (Frigid claim) ring and save the guard.

Well I saved her but didn't get jack squat as a reward. Is there any point in not taking her ring and bolting other than having her around at the inn telling you how the ring is the only thing of value she has?

My chars don't have enough constitution to save them both really.

Edited by Dinky Dino

There are ways to cast ice spells to save the guard, then maybe save the woman. So you would need the chanter's ice trap phrase or a druid, something like that. You have to also bypass the initial falling timbers with a jack or usable adventurer tool to save time.

Don't know how much constitution you need for all that.

Edited by Ymarsakar

I really like these choose-your-own-adventure style encounters and would love to see more of them.

You can save both with 3 CON.

Equip the shield with winter wind you can purchase at the Stronghold from Azzuro.

You need survival 4 or 5 to duck under the smoke.

20 MIG or a prybar to prop up the ceiling with a beam.

Save the guy first because he can walk out.

Remove/take the ring before carrying the woman.

I had 5 or 6 athletics, which *might* be checked in the background instead of CON.

= 'Hero' with a new ring!

• Like 1

I saved both with Aloth, but you have to do it just right.  Used some gear and food to pump up a few stats and one of those athletics raising scrolls.  You don't get much for saving either of them though, beyond the satisfaction of saving them.  They do have minor parts in some other quests though.

I really like these choose-your-own-adventure style encounters and would love to see more of them.

You can save both with 3 CON.

Equip the shield with winter wind you can purchase at the Stronghold from Azzuro.

You need survival 4 or 5 to duck under the smoke.

20 MIG or a prybar to prop up the ceiling with a beam.

Save the guy first because he can walk out.

Remove/take the ring before carrying the woman.

I had 5 or 6 athletics, which *might* be checked in the background instead of CON.

= 'Hero' with a new ring!

Doesn't seem to work. I can save them both but having 3 CON doesn't allow me to jack the ring and carry her out without dying after I save the other guy and I tested it by boosting athletics to 6.

Oh well at least you can easily boost CON from 3 to 12 with food/watcher ability that boosts stats temporarily, stronghold bonus, brothel bonuses, CON from equipment, and +1 CON from that pike weapon bought from guilded vale. I also wish the boots of speed counted for something in this scenario. In my game, named companions seem to not be able to steal the ring off her.

Edited by Dinky Dino

I think it's cool that sometimes being a jerk is the best option. There are so many games where there's just no point to being evil because if you do the "good" quest resolution, you get a better reward anyway *cough*BG2*cough*

Yea that's what I love about this game. I tend to try to get the scenario I want no matter what it takes if it's possible. Like if someone has something I want but getting it through dialogue means I get a disposition I don’t like, I just kill them. The best part is when the gibs go all over the place after popping them since npcs have almost no defense. Though I generally try to keep people alive. It's fun since like you said most games you have to be a good boy to get everything.

Heck some quests are far better when you stop doing jobs as charity and demand more rewards or poke for more pay. Though it depends on the quest as sometimes getting coin means you miss a decent or good item.

My only complaint is when you kill certain npcs outside from the shadows, the entire area turns hostile. I mean what the heck.

Edited by Dinky Dino

I managed to get through this scenario and saved both people with Grieving Mother somehow. I don't have the darndest clue how she did it, but I had so much more admiration for her afterwards! As if I wasn't already her fanboy.

I don't remember getting a ring though...?

I managed to get through this scenario and saved both people with Grieving Mother somehow. I don't have the darndest clue how she did it, but I had so much more admiration for her afterwards! As if I wasn't already her fanboy.

I don't remember getting a ring though...?

Non generic companions don't seem to be able to have the option to take the ring on the woman even if they have the required stats to save both. I tested kana and hiravias. I run a full generic party so that's how I saw the option. Ring is frigid claim with +5 dr to fire and +10 defense vs spells.

As far as I know, that scenario is the only option to take the ring and she doesn't give you it after you save her. Well aside from killing her after you save her and taking it which might set everyone on you.

I tried this with Hiravias and if I tried to rescue both he would drop the woman on the way out and then black out if he tried to pick her back up again, regardless of how much I boosted his con by.  Managed it with Kana who had zero Survival but more Athletics and he managed it first time.  Didn't see any checks against Athletics but I suspect each option reduces your stamina by a certain amount like it would in battle regardless of whether they pass the test or not.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I tried this with Hiravias and if I tried to rescue both he would drop the woman on the way out and then black out if he tried to pick her back up again, regardless of how much I boosted his con by. Managed it with Kana who had zero Survival but more Athletics and he managed it first time. Didn't see any checks against Athletics but I suspect each option reduces your stamina by a certain amount like it would in battle regardless of whether they pass the test or not.

I've managed it with Hiravias. As far as I can make out (I could be wrong), he needs minimum 5/6 in both athletics and survival. I had 6 in both. I think he cast winterwind first to free the man and then saved the lady. The only other thing is, (which I can't quite remember) I might have given him a +2 constitution boost either through food or via an item. Oh and he also needs a crowbar. As far as I can recall that's it.

Recap 6 athletics and survival. Cold spell (winterwind). Crowbar. Maybe + con item?

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Non generic companions don't seem to be able to have the option to take the ring on the woman even if they have the required stats to save both. I tested kana and hiravias. I run a full generic party so that's how I saw the option. Ring is frigid claim with +5 dr to fire and +10 defense vs spells.

As far as I know, that scenario is the only option to take the ring and she doesn't give you it after you save her. Well aside from killing her after you save her and taking it which might set everyone on you.

I was able to take the ring with Aloth.

When I saved both and got the ring with Aloth, I used gear/food to boost his CON, PER, STR by at least two each, and a scroll to get his athletics to 6.  I didn't pass any survival checks.   The scenario doesn't show all the checks, some you don't know about unless you are high enough and one of them, a check for PER 14, near the start was needed for me being successful with low survival.

I was able to take the ring with Aloth.

When I saved both and got the ring with Aloth, I used gear/food to boost his CON, PER, STR by at least two each, and a scroll to get his athletics to 6.  I didn't pass any survival checks.   The scenario doesn't show all the checks, some you don't know about unless you are high enough and one of them, a check for PER 14, near the start was needed for me being successful with low survival.

How interesting I will need to look at perception again next time I go through this scenario since like you said you need to be high enough to see. Having high perception didn't notify me of anything like the other checks did.

I went in cold without any foreknowledge with my Monk, he has 20+ might, 19 con and 18 perception with his normal items on and 1 or 2 survival. Was able to prop up the beam without tools, could have grabbed the ring but didn't, was able to grab the girl but could not put the fire out. The winter spell casting shield was on another character. If I had brought that shield I could have saved both.

Seems sort of biased in favor for casters, especially if 3 con can manage it. Should have let you jump through the fire and take damage, or make a save/ survive an attack roll. If you fail you'd need to send in someone else to save your first character or have them perma die.

• 5 months later...

it speeds up your exit if you have sufficient perception to notice the falling beam, and then choose to prop it up before going on to save the two people.

then, even with low con, you can *just* make it back out, exhausted from smoke inhalation.

just did it 5 minutes ago.

Aloth is a good choice for this, if you didn't mod his stats.

bring a prybar.

Hah! That's cynical! XD

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 10 months later...

I can't get the ring from the woman in the burning hut, for the life of me. I tried with 22 Perception. How much more is needed? I can go to 24, with Kana and that bow... Then I'll have to use the console to import that shield with a cold spell because Azzuro NEVER shows up... (Yes I am grumpy for multiple reasons) And use Sagani. Or I could roll a character and use that? Or use the savegame editor and boost Hiravias' Pereception to 40 or something??? Please help, step by step, how to get the frigid claim ring. I can beat all the skill and attribute checks except of the Perception check to steal the ring, apparently.

I can't get the ring from the woman in the burning hut, for the life of me. I tried with 22 Perception. How much more is needed?

Iirc you only need 14 Per to spot the ring. 10 Dex to take it and 10 Mig to drag her out.

Edit: check this post.

Edited by MaxQuest

I can't get the ring from the woman in the burning hut, for the life of me. I tried with 22 Perception. How much more is needed? I can go to 24, with Kana and that bow... Then I'll have to use the console to import that shield with a cold spell because Azzuro NEVER shows up... (Yes I am grumpy for multiple reasons) And use Sagani. Or I could roll a character and use that? Or use the savegame editor and boost Hiravias' Pereception to 40 or something??? Please help, step by step, how to get the frigid claim ring. I can beat all the skill and attribute checks except of the Perception check to steal the ring, apparently.

Just fyi, the ring isn't particularly interesting, and certainly not worth the loss of the warm fuzzies I get by not looting the poor woman's ring. In fact, the ring is so meh, I'm convinced it - and the whole burning building event - is only there as a "f**k you" by the developers to compulsive looters. PoE in general suffers a bit from high effort/low reward loot at times, but the burning building feels deliberate. See also stealing Captain Fortanero's hat (though that one is at least funny).

Also, spells granted by equipment don't seem to work. I tried that with the blizzard estoc from Crucible Keep during a solo run, but no luck.

Ok, I tried it again to show you I can't see the ring. Only 17 Perception but still, I did the exact same things with 22 and nothing. Afterwards I tried saving the woman first, I managed to save the man also, but still no ring. Anyway, please look at my choices and tell me what I should do differently to find that cursed ring... http://imgur.com/a/26gKl

I also tried rushing past the falling beam and using the tools to save the woman from under that beam, in case it's "faster". Still no ring on sight...

Edited by 613 The Evil

I can't get the ring from the woman in the burning hut, for the life of me. I tried with 22 Perception. How much more is needed?

Iirc you only need 14 Per to spot the ring. 10 Dex to take it and 10 Mig to drag her out.

Edit: check this post.

I replied to that post last night also, in hopes somebody would help. No, I am afraid 14 Perception is not the answer... I go way past this but no ring, is there something else I am doing wrong or is it a bug I wonder?

Well, enough waiting. I hired a custom adventurer from an inn, I took matters in my own hands. After testing, I deducted that the minimum required Perception to spot the ring "Frigid Claim" on the woman's hand is 24. This is ridiculously high if you ask me, and also, the game does not give you a hint as it should, you know, those reddened out options you can't click because your Attribute is not high enough, but you can still see you are missing on something? Yeah. this was forgotten. On the other hand, you can cheerfully notice all the cold spells you can't cast, if you enter the burning hut with any other character other than those 3 classes. Splendid... It smells like troll. Anyway, I am happy to have helped any fellow players with this.

Edited by 613 The Evil