Party politics and the most affectionate companion?

G'Day fellow PoE players :)

After months and months of putting this game off, I'm finally going to start my first playthrough!!!

With that in mind, I had an old ritual with Baldur's Gate 2 where I'd build my character around the potential relationships between my companions and with that in mind I wanted to ask, "which companions seem to get on best and also which are the most affectionate to the PC?"

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers

Rowan/LSWSjr

Take everything as my own personal opinion, people vary a lot in how they perceive the characters.

Eder is kinda like the bro for me, he's not loud and brash but rather demure despite being a fighter but is also quite funny and witty.

Aloth is the bro wizard, pretty posh and hoighty toighty but.... well I don't want to spoil it for you. :p

Kana is like the enthusiastic kid, except he's 7 foot tall.  Very good natured.

Durance is... he's a deranged madman who refers to his goddess as a whore.  Think that should cover it.

Sagani is friendly, but she's married with kids so keep your hands to yourself!  Gets on well with Eder, who has a hankering for her fox.

Grieving Mother is strange, and very aloof.

Pallegina is a Paladin in an order that appears to disdain failure, polite but fierce.  She won't be the sort to comfort you but will have your back.

Hiravias is... he's good natured and friendly but he is also coarse and even more foul-mouthed than Durance, and is quite the pervert.  He's like the little dog that tries humping your leg.

Hope this helps.  No character will really turn on each other, as there wasn't really enough to allow the player to risk losing one permanently I think was the thought behind it, but I have noticed that certain characters seem to talk more often to each other.  Eder, Sagani, Aloth, and Pallegina seem to have the most banters that I have noted but then I haven't been counting or checking really.

• Like 6

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Much the same as Flintlockjazz, so I'll keep the same order:

Eder is the farmboy who took up the sword to defend his home; he's seen a lot, but he tries not to let it define him. He's quiet, has an understated sense of humour, and he'll have your back. He likes teasing the other party members every now and then, but he's not mean about it.

Aloth is the sophisticated wizard with a speech impediment. He is somewhat opinionated, but, like Eder, he has your back.

Kana is the gentle giant with an almost childlike inquisitiveness. He's a scholar out to see the world, and he's not going to let minor dangers stand in his way. He is not opposed to violence, but thinks there are generally better solutions. He likes asking the other party members questions, but doesn't always like the answers. :p

Durance is the dour priest suffering from a crisis of faith but refusing to face it. He is very opinionated. He's also the butt-monkey of the jokes of many of the other party members.

Sagani is the middle-aged huntress suffering from a mild mid-life crisis due to her peculiar circumstances, but she's friendly, tolerant, and very, very, patient. So long as you help her, she'll have your back.

Griving Mother is a riddle within an enigma or whatever. It is obvious what they attempted, but in practice, I'm afraid, it makes her a bit boring when she could have been so much more.

Pallegina is the duty-bound paladin, who dislikes her duty but doesn't see herself as having much alternative given her nature. She's polite, fairly honourable, and moderately inquisitive, but not a warm person.

Hiravias is... well, this is hard. I see him as a basically goodhearted jerk without a heart of gold - it is tarnished gold, at best. He's both deliberately and accidentally offensive, even when he means well. If you want somebody on your team that you can pity because he's an arsehole that has serious problems interacting with others, he's your Orlan.  I am sure there are players for whom his behaviour is funny, but I am not one of them.

For what it is worth, going by their conversations with the main character, the other companions, and their interjections during discussions with NPCs, my favourites are Eder and Kana, with Sagani and Aloth as a shared third.

Edited by pi2repsion
  • Like 2

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

• 1 month later...

From what I've seen, the two to avoid are Pallegina and G-Mom. They're somewhat sympathetic, but don't really get along with others, and it's a stretch to think of either as affectionate.

I actually like including Durance, because while he's intentionally abrasive, and prone to bullying other party members, he really does clarify your motives if you follow his conversation path. Also, your party is thick-skinned enough to take it, and some of their responses are absolutely worth the price of admission. Two in particular from Kana and Eder are just savage. 

None of the companions are evil, but they all have their own goals. 

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I especially like Eders comment at some point that at least he'll die with his friends... and Durance.

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

From what I've seen, the two to avoid are Pallegina and G-Mom. They're somewhat sympathetic, but don't really get along with others, and it's a stretch to think of either as affectionate.

I thought that Pallegina got along rather well with Kana : discussing Old Valia, Pallegina singing him an old song she just remembered (nice voice by the way), etc.

• Like 2

Pallegina isn't half as annoying, though :p

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I loathed that particular NPC. I was so put off one game that I stripped the NPC of all armor, weapons, and other items and then tried out bear wrasslin'. After that I kind of got into the habit of doing it regularly. One of the battles was pretty close if I recall.

...But I think the NPCs in PoE are one of the shining spots. Maybe not up to PS:T, but then again, that's my golden standard.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Pallegina is a Paladin in an order that appears to disdain failure, polite but fierce.  She won't be the sort to comfort you but will have your back.

This description reminds me of someone quite a lot

Jaheira_Portrait_BG2.png

Not a bad observation.  Not bad at all.

While there are some differences due to class worldviews, I think that these two have more commonalities than differences.

I loathed that particular NPC. I was so put off one game that I stripped the NPC of all armor, weapons, and other items and then tried out bear wrasslin'. After that I kind of got into the habit of doing it regularly. One of the battles was pretty close if I recall.

...But I think the NPCs in PoE are one of the shining spots. Maybe not up to PS:T, but then again, that's my golden standard.

She has always seemed amusing to me. My attitude was "yeah, yeah, keep talking, I'll just do whatever I want in the end" :)

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Hmmm my two cents.

Eder is the closest thing this game has to a Carth Onasi from KotOR or a Allister (minus the Mary Sue) from DA:O.  That should tell you everything you need to know, but of all the NPC companions he is really the only must have in my opinion.  He is the "right hand man" character.

Aloth is goofy as hell but a nice guy.  I never felt he was aloof just a little socially awkward, he is sort of like a wannbe Eder only he casts spells.  He also ties well into the story and gets along okay with everyone except the two people no one gets along with ;p

Sagani is basically the "mother" character who only cares about duty, taking care of others, and doing whats right.  She is a nice person and gets a long well with most.  Like most companions her best moments are tied to Eder.

Pallegina is getting a bad wrap in this thread for some reason?  She is a little haughty (she is a paladin :p???) and stand offish with those who offend her or her morals.  That said she is loyal to a fault, gets on fine with most, and is never rude or insulting to the main character.  She isn't "super warm" but she is polite and as friendly as someone in her position is ever going to be.  She also never bosses you around beyond asking you to assist her with one task.

Grieving Mother.... uh well.  She is boring as hell and basically one dimensional.  She has almost no personality at all, doesn't really get a long with anyone, and most of the time the other party members barely even notice her there.  She is not a jerk or a bad person, she is even loyal to you to a fault, but she is never friendly, never warm, and party interaction wise may as well not even be there for various reasons I won't discuss.

Kana Rua....  Kana is a nice enough guy with a sense of humor I suppose... but he is also really naive, thinks he is smarter than he actually is, basically he is a slightly less annoying Aerie from BG2 only not female.  He isn't a bad guy or anything but I never found his banter that interesting and he is sort of annoying.

Then there is the other guys....

Durance is a jerk.  There is no way of saying anything else.  He will intentionally offend, insult, and demean just about everyone including you.  He hates pretty much everyone including his god and himself and he isn't insane but I would liken him to a mafia hitman in moral view.  Yes he has some funny banters, but only cause he is the butt of someone elses joke.  None of the companions actually likes him for good reason.  Don't buy the nonsense others posted either, there is no alignment system in this game but if there was Durance would DEFINITELY fall in the evil spectrum.

Hiravias.... well.... he isn't a "bad" person, but he is crude, offensive, and sort of a douche.  Basically in real life terms imagine a neckbeard fedora wearer who thinks Laura Croft is a great female character because she has big ****.  If that sounds like something you would like hanging out with bring him along, honestly I left him in the stronghold and never looked back.

Why so much hate for Durance and Hiravias?

They're one of the few companions who end up showing some real character development (especially in the endgame slides).

In comparison, the stories of Edér/Sagani/Kana always end very anti-climatically.

Secondly, Durance has the best voice-acting in the game, and Hiravias's is one of the better ones too.

Character wise:

Durance is a madman who exhibits the perfect blend of 'scary' and 'fascinating'. He's a priest who regularly calls his goddess a "whore" and kinda hates her, but still obeys her commands and seems to understand her philosophy better than most of her followers. He and the protagonist can get pretty close, but not in a boring comfortable-fluffy-affectionate way. That makes him an actually interesting character IMO, not to mention that his personal story is very relevant to the backstory of the main quest and hence kinda mandatory for storyfags. (He's my favorite companion now. It used to be Edér after my first playthrough, but I changed my mind after replaying the game.)

Hiravias is an under-appreciated companion as well. Yes he loves to make people uncomfortable with totally inappropriate vulgar or sexual remarks, but a) sometimes that's actually pretty funny ;), and b) it's really a defense mechanism behind which hides a man who strives for closure, recognition, and a place in the world. (It ties into his story as an outcast who does not fit in anywhere, and is torn between two Gods/philosophies). Karkarov's summary of Hiravias as a "neckbeard fedora wearer" is completely off the mark IMO.

Oh, and he is also the only companion with Glanfathan roots, and thus the only one who makes meaningful comments during your exploration of Twin Elms and Glanfathan ruins - this alone makes him worth bringing along.

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I find Durance the most interesting, because... I guess I know most about him and about Eder, and of the two Durance is the more troubled, which makes me wonder about how he got where he is. Eder is more at peace with himself and is more likeable, down to earth, social. Don't know all that much about the rest.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Here's the thing about Durance. His situation is interesting. His character isn't.

Durance was such an unlikable character that I ended up completely not caring about what happened to him. And he never develops during the game (he either dies in the end or he doesn't. That's pretty much all that changes). The only reason I kept him was because I needed a priest.

• Like 1

Here I go then.

Eder - I dunno who might not like him, he's calm, friendly and very sharp minded for a farm boy. Great example of neutrally good character without any deviations in behaviour or reactions.

Aloth - My favrorite, he's basically copies my main character in mood/reactions/roleplaying aside from being more kind hearted and with a bit of eccentrity... well, don't wanna spoil.

Durance - If he wouldn't be a priest, I wouldn't have this character with me. Most annoying person in games I ever seen. There's basically everything wrong with him. Never shared love for blind fanatics with mentor attitude. Eder along with some other party members sometimes make hilarious jokes at his side, that's... very amusing.

Grieving Mother - Outstanding concept but too cryptic and wierd representation. I'd love to get more into her, but I can't seem to understand her. She doesn't uncover herself well enough, too disconnected.

Kana Rua - Most boring character in the game, doesn't possess any features which makes him stand out anyhow, too bland. Totally worth sacrificing in the Blood Pool.

Hiravias - That's Durance number two with a twist, and with good one actually. Pretty annoying but fun at the same time. Flamboyant and memorable dude.

Sagani - Very neutral charater, i'd say it's downsampled female Eder from the tribe. Biggest pro of her is that while being traditional she's still pretty open minded. Unexpected. 

Pallegina - Most passionate character, best possible representation of true Paladin I've ever seen. Gorgeous, brash and polite all in one. Explosive! Love!

Devil of Caroc - Refined charisma just bursts out from this character, sharp, cruel, insolent, with great sense of humor. Replies short but always spot on. Outsanding companion.

Zahua - I dunno who designed him, but that was some genious for sure. That's very rare to see how one can make you laught your ass off that hard while being dead serious. Phrases and remarks are just insane. Character is fresh and original. VA basically done most of the job making up his nature and temper. Amazing guy.

Edited by Stoner
  • Like 1

none of them can begin to compare to the tender sweetness and shakespearean depth of bg2 community/dev-sponsored npc project saerileth.

in fact, u can't even kiss the girls! not evne a peck on the cheek. jeeesus come on obsidian. sure, guns and murder for everyone but the true stuff of life, LOVE, can't be programmed in? instead they decide to make remakrs about pallegina's cloaca!!!!! OMG.

i just hope TWM 2 lets use have a house inside our stronghold where we can begin a caring relationship with a female of our choice (perhaps even GM too, even tho she is a spirit. but we're the Watcher so he'll find a way)

could buy/raise family units, etc, thru stronghold interface.

also i still can't believe we can't wear more than 1 belt. MY GAWD it's not that hard! even kingdom hearts managed to get that tech in, sora can wear tons of belts for best build

these are just glaring flaws i think.

also other flaws is the companions are as dry as paste except for the two from TWM. the entire story and writing are flawed, and amateurish. plus, can't wear two belts even tho it is 100% possible IRL i can't even begin

For the record, Zahua was written by Eric Fenstermaker.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Obsidian poll about favourite companions (without WM):

Eder 1341 30.2%

Grieving Mother 699 15.7%

Durance 620 14%

Aloth 532 12%

Hiravias 446 10%

Kana 295 6.6%

Pallegina 269 6.1%

Sagani 239 5.4%

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

i know i was trolling with my earlier post, but being serious for a  moment i have to say the writing in general is very bland in PoE. the most disappointing things for me were the companions, although i've grown to like them oer time. but NOTHING like the charismatic, well-written companions in earlier OBS games like your posse from Fallout New Vegas, each one a fantastic char with depth and complete character arcs and competent characterizations.

or your posse from OBS' KOTOR 2 game; i mean, Kreia! jesus, hard to get better than that. all the others are good, but kreia is so outstanding they were just icing on the kreia cake.

you know what, you might think i'm nuts but I DARE SAY, yes, i DARE SAY that the gang of companions in NWN 2 ORIGINAL FREAKING CAMPAIGN, yes THE OC!!! were better written, more interesting, more fleshed out, and more charismatic. even the very embodiment of the generic cookie-cutter stereotype fighter-dwarf you meet first is funnier and more interesting and has a more coherent, and COMPLETE character arc, with CONSISTENT characterization.

we can't say the same about all of the dudes in PoE. sure, time constraints, budget constraints, i know, but that doesn't excuse BLAND storytelling. they're not new at this. in fairness i fully admit zahua nd DoC are 300% better written; that is to say they are more interesting in their interactions with the player and with the world, they act less like information/exposition dumps and act more like real characters, unlike half the OG gang, and have consistent characterization however short it may be.

i have high hopes ofr TWM 2  and poe 2 !

For the record, Zahua was written by Eric Fenstermaker.

Zahua has very little writing though. Not even a personal quest.

Maybe WM2 will add it.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

or your posse from OBS' KOTOR 2 game; i mean, Kreia! jesus, hard to get better than that. all the others are good, but kreia is so outstanding they were just icing on the kreia cake.

Are you kidding me? The characters in KOTOR2 were some of the most bland and idiotic bunch I have ever seen. And Kreia is probably the worst character I've ever encountered in a video game. For your information, random cryptic ramblings doesn't equal good writing.

But I don't want to turn this thread into a rant about KOTOR2, so I'll stop there.

• Like 1

Obsidian poll about favourite companions (without WM):

Side bar notation about that poll.  You could only vote for one person.  Shocker, Eder won by a land slide.  If the poll was a "rate them one to ten" affair I assure you the results would have had Grieving Mother and Durance way further down.

Yeah, Eder is clearly the most sympathetic character, easiest manner, and whatnot. You're *meant* to like Eder. However, in terms of adding a lot of flavor or fun conversations, I think Durance is actually probably the best written character in the game. You love to hate him, and he's a complete jackass about... well... just about everything, but he's got great lines. He's a great foil for other NPCs' lines. He brings utility to the game. All in all, I think even some folks who hate him probably actually enjoy the party more with him in it. That's just my take, of course, but it's how I see it.

• Like 2

Obsidian Plays