So, did anybody else notice how all the +10 Defense items were changed to +9 in Patch 2.0?

Rings of Deflection and Protection, Cloaks of Protection, and even the unique Cloak of an Eothasian Priest.

I'd be interested in the thought process behind that change. It's not a completely meaningless one; that single point is the difference between getting the full equivalent of a +2 in D20 terms and not getting one. Was a full +2 considered overpowered?

Edited by Infinitron

It seems unlikely for anybody, who played before 2.0, not to notice. :p

As to why it was done? I neither know, nor care. Perhaps there was one text string where one of the +10 numbers overflowed to the next line or the 0 exceeded the border, perhaps somebody thought 9's more aesthetically pleasing than 10's?

But if I had to make a guess, I'd guess the reason was more prosaic.

Perhaps the introduction of items with even higher values in WMp1 and likely more of the same in part 2 meant that it was time to take a good look at stat progression, and it was decided to shrink the intervals between upgrades to the same defensive stat to delay how long time before stats would run wild. Because +5 to +9 to +12 (as is done now) makes each upgrade feel significant despite the shrinking interval and allows a fourth tier of +14 (or if generous and not shrinking further  +15), while +5 to +10 to +12 makes the first upgrade seem significant and the second insignificant, and +5 to +10 to +15, keeping the interval fixed, would put a hypothetical fourth tier at +20...

• Like 1

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

They wanted to nerf deflection stacking. Simple as that.

What do you mean, the Perception change already accomplished that? Ridiculous!

It's not just Deflection though.

Because symmetry or whatever.

I'm not saying this is well-thought-out. I'm saying that the motivation behind it was to nerf tanks.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Well, the nerf to Cautious Attack lends a little wait to minor nerfs to the immortal deflection tank that was going on in 1.0x. And pi2's point can also work, as it allows for smaller upgrades down the line, while still seeming a worthwhile upgrade, without getting deflection higher than they wish.