i'm new to the game, not sure which class is better melee rogue or cipher.  do i need a rogue to open lock/trap etc?

also from what i read rogue has highest Single DPS, where cipher has highest range AOE dps and more debuff?  is cipher DPS still good for range play or there are better class.  

i would like class that has high DPS but also has control/debuff/buf abilities.

Rogues dish out the highest melee DPS in the game while ciphers dish out the best single-target disables in the game.  You do need one party member to open traps/locks and it is best that you choose someone who gets initial bonuses to mechanics so they can have the highest possible mechanics level in the game.

Also once Ciphers hit late game they get straight-up ridiculous with Amplified Wave.  Good damage and prone in an absolutely silly-large AoE.

Ciphers are typically ranged combatants, although they CAN off-tank to a degree with some of their buffs (Psychovampiric shield, Body Attunement, Borrowed Instinct).  But being ranged lets them keep attacking without having to worry about moving between targets, which is important for focus generation.

In this game, any character can open locks or remove traps, so you needn't base your decision on that.

As jsaving has said, Rogues have the highest DPS damage, and among the martial classes, I find them the most fun to play, since they need lots of micro (they can dish out the damage, but they're fragile). Sneak, shoot, run, turn around, stab stab etc.

Of course, any spell-slinger makes a good ranged class, and ciphers are no exception. They also have great control abilities. In particular, at level 2 they get a paralysis spell called mental binding which you can spam for most of the game. 

Neither of those classes has particularly good buffs or debuffs (that is the domain of priests) but I think they're both fun classes to play. 

Ranger. Rogue like DPS, safety at range, a pet that can fill a 3rd tank slot, but doesnt!, per encounter abilities. No need to deal with the Ciphers heavily nerfed Focus and Focus Gain but they do have some cool spells you will only be able to cast 1 time per encounter.

Edited by Benedictous

Rogues are good any can deal impressive damage but a cipher can easily outdamage a rogue once you get ecto whatever crush deathbeam. I think riposte rogues are powerful and fun to play, but side by side ciphers get control abilities, buffs, debuffs, AOEs, and very high damage.

My Cyphers always were the main damage dealers of the party.

i really like rogues i think i got my first and only PoTD solo playthrough with a rogue that was prior to 2.00 patch so i skipped con and per; he was a pale/elf bloke wielding a estoc, was fun. Ofc that was when summonings lasted for a fight not only 20 secs

Edited by BicycleRepairMan

i'm new to the game, not sure which class is better melee rogue or cipher.  do i need a rogue to open lock/trap etc?

also from what i read rogue has highest Single DPS, where cipher has highest range AOE dps and more debuff?  is cipher DPS still good for range play or there are better class.  

i would like class that has high DPS but also has control/debuff/buf abilities.

Class with high dps and cc is the cipher, hands down. Second option is the ranger. The ranger has the highest range for their dps, giving them some pull options and safety options. Cipher is a few meters behind the main battle line, and rogues are generally very close to the main line if not behind the enemy's main line.

As mentioned before, the cipher's dps equals the rogue, once you get a certain spell rotation in for the cipher, generally consisting of the dual use of antipathetic, echo, and mental paralysis.

I also noticed that a lot of the cipher and wizard spells have much lower recovery than normal now. Normal cast spells have the recovery of very close to what used to be only from fast cast spells. That increases the cipher's ability to trigger focus gain from damage, since there's less waiting on those slow spell recoveries.

CIpher is better at CC and more fun to play overall due to more diverse abilities. DPS is really a toss up, rogues do better weapon dps, but with amplified wave cipher deals very strong aoe dps and ectopsychic echo is good both for aoe and single target if you know how to set it up. Overall cipher does a more damage in total actually. Rogues are a bit better at sneaking and disarming traps, due to higher starting mechanics and Shadowing beyond, so there's that. It's mainly important for soloing though. Personally I haven't been using ciphers much after the nerfs, but I think they are still a stronger class compared to the rogue, at least in a party/direct combat.

Edited by MadDemiurg