Reactionaries tries to ban progressive technology

Meshugger

Not really, some times a quote is just a quote to spring board something else on or as a quote is usually used to build a point on.

...That doesn't really invalidate my observation of this practice being highly inefficient from a communication standpoint.

And, to be blunt, even if I'm completely in the wrong and Orogun's comment was entirely topic-appropriate and used in a manner consistent with standard forum practice, my points still stand. It's tiring to argue about the validity of research with people who seem to be incapable of grasping even the concept of confidence intervals. It's tiring to argue about biology with people whose education in the subject seems to be fully based on half-remembered snippets from high school and a smattering of pop-sci articles. It's really tiring to see that the most vocal anti-feminists are completely unable to understand what their ideological proponents even mean when they're using the word "patriarchy".

Hm, always been easy to distinguish for me and you just launched on an assumption, Anyway, rather amusing that 'efficiency' is in play as well, heh. But yes, everyone here is your inferior, etc. perhaps more fool you for continually wasting your time (or being easily wound up - common here, I suppose, hah)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Anyway, rather amusing that 'efficiency' is in play as well, heh. But yes, everyone here is your inferior, etc.

Why is the concept of striving for efficient communication quaint? Seems like an eminently reasonable goal to me.

As for everyone here being my inferior, believe me, I'd be the happiest if the usual suspects could form cognizant arguments one can actually prove or disprove instead of aimlessly flailing around, making vague statements that amount to "hard science = good, social science = bad".

(As if biology ever was a hard science...)

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well, just that can't really see much in the way of 'inefficient' text in use here, also that it is so because it isn't a way apparent to just you so far, fancy enough - and not all that surprising I guess. Have to really strive for inefficient text as well, even Gromnir's RPing is easy enough once you ride it enough, as fun as that is.

As for the inferior people bothering you, well, is one solution readily apparent, but not like you'd get that. I guess it is too easy to BS about that kind of 'science' in a way, and trying to get proof requires a lot of wasted time. That conclusion that hard sciences is good is right in a way when it comes to the paycheque, hah (another good way to wind up sensitive artsies, in my experience :thumbsup:)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

(As if biology ever was a hard science...)

I don't know about maybe classical evolutionary biology or taxonomy, but biochemistry and biophysics are as "hard" as science gets.

Now, back to discussing sexbots. It was mentioned above that true AI, true cognition is still deep in the realm of science-fiction, and it's true. We don't know what consciousness is precisely, and the Newton of AI probably hasn't been born yet. According to Roger Penrose, "true" artificial intelligence is impossible — it may not possible to build a computer that can replicate human thought under current computing architecture paradigms.

However, you don't need true self-awareness in a human sense to build machines that can pass for humans. Some AI scientists have suggested that by 2030 we could have machines that could pass a Turing Test. Throw in a few million pre-programmed facts and rules ("intelligence is ten million rules" says Douglas Lenat), and you have a machine that can fool humans and perform simple tasks successfully most of the time, while still being essentially dumber than a bag of hammers, not truly sentient, and incapable of operating outside of an admittedly broad set of parameters. Those could still make perfectly good sexbots, or hunter-killers.

Or both. :wub:

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

We live in an era of "free love" that puts the 1960s hippies to shame. It does not take much to get a woman to have sex these days. There are even applications for that now. One would think that would do something to diminish the demand for sexbots.

Sorry to destroy your world view, but not everyone can date and have sex with that super hot latina/blond/asian/slavic w/e girl, even when they have money, hence the demand for such "toys"

We live in an era of "free love" that puts the 1960s hippies to shame. It does not take much to get a woman to have sex these days. There are even applications for that now. One would think that would do something to diminish the demand for sexbots.

You assume that the sexual revolution would've made sure that more people gotten sex, but human dynamics don't really work that way. What's has happened is that the top 10-15%  of the most hot men are getting more sex than ever before from most of the women, which leaves the avarage guy out in the cold, which is very worrying since they make up for quite the size of the total population. The ugly, poor guys are too few to make a significant case for society as a whole so lets leave those out for arguments sake. Well anyway, I used to worry about having a huge portion of avarage males with little to no future and no woman by their side would be quite damaging for society as that is pretty much the standard recipe of any bloody revolution. Not so much anymore thanks to the sexbots!

I have no study to direct to as I only used my own observations and experiences in life, so feel free to refute this claim.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

And statistically very improbable since below the top 10-15% there should still be a sizeable contingent of "above average", not average. Seriously though, geeks are the new sexy. I'm not great looking and I have a heap of mental issues including social anxiety and even I am able to connect with enough at least above average looking girls. If you think some self-conscious "men have body issues due to media portrayals of hot men" manorexia nonsense is why you're not getting girls, you need some self-awareness more than you need sex.

• Like 2

To clarify, i didn't mean that 10-15% take all the women, i meant that they get the majority of the action and that the sexual revolution isn't the same as everyone now has an equal chance of finding a sexual partner. I mean jokes like these do not exist without reason :)

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm waiting until they're available on Amazon.

To clarify, i didn't mean that 10-15% take all the women, i meant that they get the majority of the action and that the sexual revolution isn't the same as everyone now has an equal chance of finding a sexual partner. I mean jokes like these do not exist without reason original.gif

This just in: sexually attractive males are getting more poontang than unwashed neckbeards. News at eleven.

There may be such a thing as confirmation bias at work regarding your analysis. If neither you nor your friends are getting any and it's kind of a big deal for you, perhaps you should find more successful friends. Of course I'm just assuming, so I apologize in advance if I'm wrong. But I get the feeling you wouldn't even have considered this if you were part of the magical 10%. You'd be too tired after constantly porking hot women to ponder such things.

That said, I'm going to agree: the sexual revolution (whatever that means) probably won't reduce demand for something that is chiefly a convenience thing, much like it hasn't reduced the demand for prostitution. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

To clarify, i didn't mean that 10-15% take all the women, i meant that they get the majority of the action and that the sexual revolution isn't the same as everyone now has an equal chance of finding a sexual partner. I mean jokes like these do not exist without reason original.gif

This just in: sexually attractive males are getting more poontang than unwashed neckbeards. News at eleven.

There may be such a thing as confirmation bias at work regarding your analysis. If neither you nor your friends are getting any and it's kind of a big deal for you, perhaps you should find more successful friends. Of course I'm just assuming, so I apologize in advance if I'm wrong. But I get the feeling you wouldn't even have considered this if you were part of the magical 10%. You'd be too tired after constantly porking hot women to ponder such things.

That said, I'm going to agree: the sexual revolution (whatever that means) probably won't reduce demand for something that is chiefly a convenience thing, much like it hasn't reduced the demand for prostitution. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, i am personally blessed with having a favourable body and looks that women appreciate. My problems with women come from that i am attracted to the artistic, dramatic red-heads out there. But i happen to be quite the serious kind of guy that wants a committed relationship with a traditional family. Soon enough in a relationship and the reality of that dawns to them, they react like Satan reading the Bible. Sadly, I can't help myself from falling for them as much as I can't help myself being heterosexual, but that's life. My observations on the matter comes from the people that i usually hang out with and from acquaintances at work (energy sector).

My original response was to the notion that sexual liberation did make sequal encounters more equal. Not from what i have seen.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy