Reactionaries tries to ban progressive technology

Meshugger

I love how they talk about AI indistinguishable from humans as though that's something that's even going to be accomplished in the next few decades.

When we get AI that's of human level intellect we're going to have more pressing questions than "Is it okay for me to bone this?"

We're nowhere near that plane of AI yet. We do not even exactly know consciousness even is yet.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I love how they talk about AI indistinguishable from humans as though that's something that's even going to be accomplished in the next few decades.

When we get AI that's of human level intellect we're going to have more pressing questions than "Is it okay for me to bone this?"

And yet, human nature being what it is, I imagine "Is it okay for me to bone this?" will still be at the top of the list of questions.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's always the most pressing question.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

VVzVZOL.jpg

OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT
NO, WE AIN'T GONNA TAKE IT
OH WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE

WE'VE GOT THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE AND
THERE AIN'T NO WAY WE'LL LOSE IT
THIS IS OUR LIFE, THIS IS OUR SONG
WE'LL FIGHT THE POWERS THAT BE JUST
DON'T PICK OUR DESTINY 'CAUSE
YOU DON'T KNOW US, YOU DON'T BELONG

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Won't someone think of the women?!

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They'll be free from misogyny and the patriarchy. Isn't that all that they wanted?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

We're nowhere near that plane of AI yet. We do not even exactly know consciousness even is yet.

Pretty much this. The possibilities of AI in the fields of image recognition, decision-making and analyzing language and so on are huge, but actual human-like robots are far away. Today it pretty much passes for "very cool" if a robot can ride a bike or pass a small obstacle course. They are not going to be like humans tomorrow, just like cars were not about to be powered by nuclear power tomorrow in the fifties.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

They'll be free from misogyny and the patriarchy. Isn't that all that they wanted?

Apparently not. Otherwise this would be celebrated, i wonder why....

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Let's be honest. A lot of women still use the "sex card" as their Ace in any relationship, be that actual sex or simply sex appeal and good looks.

Maybe because "a significant portion of the general population is now shagging robots" in no way necessitates the elimination of "misogyny and the patriarchy"?

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Maybe because "a significant portion of the general population is now shagging robots" in no way necessitates the elimination of "misogyny and the patriarchy"?

Get real. With the sexbot 3000 package that includes "making a sandwich" DLC, the patriarchy would not even have time for their thursday meetings in the woodshed behind the pub. 

Women could be dancing naked in the streets and no one would care.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Get real. With the sexbot 3000 package that includes "making a sandwich" DLC, the patriarchy would not even have time for their thursday meetings in the woodshed behind the pub. 

But isn't the goal of the patriarchy to get women to dance naked? Or did I go to a different meeting?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

But isn't the goal of the patriarchy to get women to dance naked? Or did I go to a different meeting?

That's the Mötley Crüe fan-club, female division. Remember to be polite and take turn on Nikki Sixx, he can only handle about four at a time.

...or maybe you just went to the pub instead of the woodshed. Things get a bit crazy on student nights during tuesdays, you know. It's hard to tell with all this over-arching, ever ominious patriarchy, it's difficult to control properly at times. 

Just remember that the misogyny work-shop is at parking-lot by the strip-club at the docks on mondays. We will explore on how to better objectify the breasts using the proper topology routines. Spherical appropriation of the butt using quantifiable gazing will be on the every second monday. 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

That's... really not how patriarchy works.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

That's... really not how patriarchy works.

And biology trumps social science stupidity but let's ignore facts because of political reasons.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

And biology trumps social science stupidity but let's ignore facts because of political reasons.

...Said the guy who knows next to nothing about biology and social science.

Seriously, if you people had any real understanding of the sciences you purport to champion, these discussions would go so much smoother. If, for example, there was no need to explain the most rudimentary statistical concepts like "why you can't really treat a study with a sample size in the mid-twenties as having any sort of predictive power whatsoever". If the "scientific mindset" didn't simply consist of parroting empty platitudes like "biology trumps social science stupidity". If, perhaps, the science cited would, at the very least, rise above the level of drek that isn't even wrong, like the majority of works claiming to offer a "biological" explanation of high-level behavior. A man can dream...

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

Seriously, if you people had any real understanding of the sciences you purport to champion, these discussions would go so much smoother. If, for example, there was no need to explain the most rudimentary statistical concepts like "why you can't really treat a study with a sample size in the mid-twenties as having any sort of predictive power whatsoever". If the "scientific mindset" didn't simply consist of parroting empty platitudes like "biology trumps social science stupidity". If, perhaps, the science cited would, at the very least, rise above the level of drek that isn't even wrong, like the majority of works claiming to offer a "biological" explanation of high-level behavior. A man can dream...

Actually, I was talking about the biological differences between genders that social studies seem to ignore and the link between biology and sexuality. But by all means, continue to assume that you know what I mean.

village_idiot.gif

Actually, I was talking about the biological differences between genders that social studies seem to ignore and the link between biology and sexuality. But by all means, continue to assume that you know what I mean.

If you reply to something I wrote, you don't get to smugly play the "I've been wronged!" card on the basis that the thing you wrote actually had nothing to do with the text you were directly quoting.

But by all means, continue to play victim to your heart's content.

He quoted it, it doesn't necessarily have to be a reply to your point so no need to be shirty as always.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He quoted it, it doesn't necessarily have to be a reply to your point so no need to be shirty as always.

Quoting someone just to start talking about something completely different when the "reply to this topic" button also exists and carries no baggage of the assumption that one intends to participate in an ongoing line of discussion seems like a highly inefficient communication strategy.

Not really, some times a quote is just a quote to spring board something else on or as a quote is usually used to build a point on. Hm, I suppose that is why people do that @-tagging stuff I see on other boards.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not really, some times a quote is just a quote to spring board something else on or as a quote is usually used to build a point on.

...That doesn't really invalidate my observation of this practice being highly inefficient from a communication standpoint.

And, to be blunt, even if I'm completely in the wrong and Orogun's comment was entirely topic-appropriate and used in a manner consistent with standard forum practice, my points still stand. It's tiring to argue about the validity of research with people who seem to be incapable of grasping even the concept of confidence intervals. It's tiring to argue about biology with people whose education in the subject seems to be fully based on half-remembered snippets from high school and a smattering of pop-sci articles. It's really tiring to see that the most vocal anti-feminists are completely unable to understand what their ideological proponents even mean when they're using the word "patriarchy".