How many expansions will be made?

At PAX and in some of its surrounding news coverage, the PoE team talked about some things they'd like to do better in a sequel.  Among the issues they called out were load times (too long), the multiclassing system (too sparse), and spell acquisition (priests and druids getting all their spells at once).  They also mentioned how much they appreciate having their own IP.  Some people have inferred from this that a sequel is in the cards following the release of Part 2 (and I hope they are right!), although Josh and the other panelists were careful not to say so. 

• Like 1

My guess is that it's already in development and will be announced as a 'kickstarter' on Fig when they have something to show off. Won't be announced until after the expansions and/or the engine is stable with few bugs. Maybe at the same time as the expansion. Who knows.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fig-is-a-new-games-only-crowdfunding-platform-that-allows-for-real-investment/

Hopefully moving on to sequel so we can have actual mod support and not have to stare at the load screen everytime you walk through a door. 

They specifically wanted to get rid of the latter in POE2. I don't know about the former but I would really hope so.

I have the feeling that they will go straight to PoE 2 after WM is concluded. I think they said as much in the recent PAX presentation.

I hope so. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but WM1&2 is enough.

I think a fresh PoE2 (even with the same engine) would be great after this. 

What I'm hoping for is that they'll work on PoE2 and further expansions for PoE1 in parallel, so that PoE2 comes out about half a year after the final PoE1 expansion - assuming this wouldn't slow PoE2 by too much, of course.

Maybe that final Expansion brings us the PoE2-Engine and rules for PoE1... :biggrin:

---

We're all doomed

What I'm hoping for is that they'll work on PoE2 and further expansions for PoE1 in parallel, so that PoE2 comes out about half a year after the final PoE1 expansion - assuming this wouldn't slow PoE2 by too much, of course.

Maybe that final Expansion brings us the PoE2-Engine and rules for PoE1... :biggrin:

Frankly I'd like to see the time and energy spent on content rather than re-inventing the engine.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Frankly I'd like to see the time and energy spent on content rather than re-inventing the engine.

Yes and no. They will reinvent the engine anyway. And updating PoE1 to that engine would mean modding support and the possibility for a "Big World"-like mod. Every improvement that will be made for PoE2 could be easily made available for PoE1. But I guess that this is too much work. (I would pay extra for it.)

---

We're all doomed

The load screens, in this day and age, is beyond insane. Seeing how the game is not very flashy there should be no loads at all.

They should not build a new engine. The poe players are not about flashy stuff anyway.

They really, and i cant stress this enough, need to learn how to fix their billions of bugs.

The IP is fine, sidequests were amazing in poe. They got stuff like that covered. Now fix the issues and profit

Game looks pretty damn flashy to me. It's about the art style, not the number of pixels. But certainly it should be a goal to allow party members to split up and enter/exit small dwellings, just like you could do with IE from at least BG2 onwards.

POE built on Onyx, Obsidian's in-house engine, would have been better in a huge number of ways, but the middleware costs were prohibitive for a Kickstarter budget (which is a pittance in the game world).