An English thing

Aoyagi

That's not how you make plural of "VM". An apostrophe denotes plural only of a single character (V's) or if you separated the letters in an initialism with dots (V.M.'s).

Thanks for listening ^^

Yeah, I don't know why it's become a thing to put apostrophes in plural forms of words, but become a thing it has. Do you have a source on the apostrophe for a single character word? Never heard that before, and I'm curious as to whether that's actually correct.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Must be a 90's thing :p

I wouldn't be surprised if it stemmed from exactly that since both 90s and 90's can be correct depending on the context.

Yeah, I don't know why it's become a thing to put apostrophes in plural forms of words, but become a thing it has. Do you have a source on the apostrophe for a single character word? Never heard that before, and I'm curious as to whether that's actually correct.

Yeah, most guides mention that:

Punctuation marks

Apostrophe - rule 6

Grammar Girl's take

Apostrophes and plural forms

Grammar Monster - note: advanced guidelines including more exceptions  :p

Punctuation guide

Probably much more, but these are the ones I know of.

Edited by Aoyagi

That's not how you make plural of "VM". An apostrophe denotes plural only of a single character (V's) or if you separated the letters in an initialism with dots (V.M.'s).

Thanks for listening ^^

(emphasis mine)

Actually, the Grammar Monster link you posted, specifically says:

Do not Use an Apostrophe for the Plural of a Normal Abbreviation

It is worth reiterating this point. Do not use apostrophes for the plurals of normal abbreviations.

Examples:

He had 4 CCJ's against him. bulx.gif

He had 4 CCJs against him. bultick.gif

M.O.T.'s bulx.gif

M.O.T.s bultick.gif

Which is the rule I'm accustomed to.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm confused, 213374U: your two examples remove the apostrophe in both cases, regardless of the periods.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I was replying to the bolded part in the OP. AFAIK, using apostrophes to signify plurals in initialisms or acronyms is incorrect, whether you use dots to separate the initials or not. OP however said it's an accepted form, unless I massively brain farted and misread, right?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I was replying to the bolded part in the OP. AFAIK, using apostrophes to signify plurals in initialisms or acronyms is incorrect, whether you use dots to separate the initials or not. OP however said it's an accepted form, unless I massively brain farted and misread, right?

Nope, that was just me...for some reason, I thought *you* wrote the bold part of the post that you quoted, and were saying that you should keep the apostrophe in that case. Whoops! tongue.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

AFAIK, using apostrophes to signify plurals in initialisms or acronyms is incorrect, whether you use dots to separate the initials or not. 

As an ignorant foreigner, I was always led to believe this is the case.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I think the New York Times Style guide actually puts 's on plural abbreviations, but this is - again as I recall - so body text can match their titles.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Does anyone proofread what they produce on the internet? I for one thought that the relaxed posting style and grammatical laxity was an attraction for the medium. Then again when one has to deal with such matters professionally, a break from doing so is always welcome.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Does anyone proofread what they produce on the internet?

Only after I already send or submit something and realize I need to correct it in a half-dozen ways. :p

Oh, nice, finally a thread that I can derail somewhat by mentioning that I want to strangle BruceVC every time he messes up their and there. Which is, quite frankly, every time. *sigh*

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I am not really sure what you mean their ? :)

:biggrin:

I've always enjoyed the fringe ambiguity of the s'. Not "pluses," or "plusses,", but plus'. Or maybe pluii. 

I don't mean ambiguous, it's possessive ... I meant rare and sometimes confusing, the s'. Not confusing, I don't know what I'm saying. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Oh, nice, finally a thread that I can derail somewhat by mentioning that I want to strangle BruceVC every time he messes up their and there. Which is, quite frankly, every time. *sigh*

All of the BruceVCs all with BruceVC's typical grammar, or is that BruceV.C.'s?

How do the BruceV.C.s feel about this? The ManifestedI.S.O.s? The 2.1337.4.U.s?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Thanks for listening ^^

(emphasis mine)

Actually, the Grammar Monster link you posted, specifically says:

Do not Use an Apostrophe for the Plural of a Normal Abbreviation

It is worth reiterating this point. Do not use apostrophes for the plurals of normal abbreviations.

Examples:

He had 4 CCJ's against him. bulx.gif

He had 4 CCJs against him. bultick.gif

M.O.T.'s bulx.gif

M.O.T.s bultick.gif

Which is the rule I'm accustomed to.

Well, most guides I've read suggest to use it to assist the readers. Thankfully abbreviations with dots are rarely pluralised, so I can avoid it. Personally I'd rather avoid using an apostrophe to denote plural in those cases since, like Grammar Monster, I think that they should be used only in specific cases that might create confusion without help of an apostrophe, but I follow (the majority of) guides.

Does anyone proofread what they produce on the internet? I for one thought that the relaxed posting style and grammatical laxity was an attraction for the medium. Then again when one has to deal with such matters professionally, a break from doing so is always welcome.

Actually I don't, and I should. Not because of grammar, but typos and misplaced words are more common than I'd like when I'm reading back on the texts I've blessed the world with :D

Thank's, all! ;)

I've corrected the aberration and feel properly shamed!  :biggrin:

Appreciated, you've made the world a better place! :)