All the famous wizards in the world of Eora! (spoilers)

Hey guys.

I recently did the Cragshold high-level quest. I wasn't expecting much, since on these forums people have mostly been complaining about it (difficultly)

Still, I thought the last part (once you're actually inside the tower) was really fun! All the scheming apprentices working on their own experiments and vying to be the masters favorite was really cool. I think you could make a game on that theme alone!

Anyway, when you finally confront Conelhaut, he mentions that the mercenaries have probably been hired by one of his rivals. Here he names all the "spell inventors" like Minoletta, Kalakoth, Llengrath, Ninagauth etc. Pretty cool touch.

This might be a little nitpicky, but does that mean that all those great wizards are still alive? That means that half of your spells have been invented within the last 100 or so years. Makes magic in the Dyrwood seem pretty young.

Also, I think it would be fun if there were more spells that you can't select when leveling up. It just makes it more fun to find a new spellbook. It was a blast to get Conelhaut's book and get a new spell. 

Also, I think it would be fun if there were more spells that you can't select when leveling up. It just makes it more fun to find a new spellbook. It was a blast to get Conelhaut's book and get a new spell. 

I think that *can* be fun, but only if used carefully. It was awesome to find that, but I have no desire to have to do some ridiculous questline to obtain 1/3rd of my spell list or anything like that.

Minoletta's spellbook:

Minoletta's spellbook is in the Adra Dragon's hoard, which does not rule out Minoletta's survival but does make it seem rather unlikely based on available information.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

I too wondered about whether they were all still alive. Guess Concelhaut just ain't the only Lich in Eora.

I greatly appreciated the unique spells in the expansion; I agree they make finding Grimoires more special. If all I can expect from looted Grimoires is stuff I can get when I level up, it's kinda meh.

Then again, it is also true that it will only be special for so long as it is rare. If you start finding unique spells every other Grimoire, it will become ordinary practice to just go hunt the spells you want like Katarack21 said.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm guessing that we'll face Ninagauth in WM Part 2. We already know (from the flashback in which he killed his student) he sometimes hangs around the WM, and seeing as some of his signature spells are ice-based it's not a big leap to assume he has his base somewhere in the area. Plus most of his spells seem rather evil, which makes him a likely enemy. I suspect he's the one who hired the mercenaries, probably 'cos he's getting old and wants to learn how to go lich himself.

Edited by mph

Now, there's a scary thought, mph.

..."In part two the player will face several of Ninagauth's students, who like to initiate combat by casting Ninagauth's Shadowflame..."

Sveveral enemies chaining fast-cast AOE damage/paralyze... Talk about a brutal fight setup.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Don't forget that like Concelhaut, wizards have ways of extending their lives far beyond their natural end. They could be centuries, or even thousands of years old depending on how good they are at avoiding the wrath of Berath  :p

Sure, some might be liches or guls, but not all of them surely!

I think that *can* be fun, but only if used carefully. It was awesome to find that, but I have no desire to have to do some ridiculous questline to obtain 1/3rd of my spell list or anything like that.

I hear you... I also wouldn't want to run around like an idiot to get half my spellbook. Ideally, you'd only want a really tiny percent of "exotic" spells as quest rewards. 

I'm guessing that we'll face Ninagauth in WM Part 2. We already know (from the flashback in which he killed his student) he sometimes hangs around the WM, and seeing as some of his signature spells are ice-based it's not a big leap to assume he has his base somewhere in the area. Plus most of his spells seem rather evil, which makes him a likely enemy. I suspect he's the one who hired the mercenaries, probably 'cos he's getting old and wants to learn how to go lich himself.

Ah, I forgot about that quest! That could link things nicely!

Edited by Heijoushin