Greetings, as so of you have read I am playing a game and had asked some questions about weapons for a tanky pally and tanky Eder. 

What are convictions and can I change them? I am alinged with the conviction which gives a bonus to accuracy I think. 

I favor 'clever' and passionate' responses but do not understand if these responses improve anything or not. 

I did not take greater lay on hands at lvl 4 and instead i got 'hold the line'. 

If anyone has some pointers for how and why a pally does what he does would be welcome. 

I am doing fine and got through my fight with Raedric and Maerwald. 

The Raedric fight was interesting. The pally and Eder picked up nearly all the soldiers and Raedric. I had my rogue with a fine arbalest and my cypher and aloth all focus fire on the mage and down he went....

The heavy armored pallys and knights were tough. I had to use all my spells on aloth and durance to keep going and take out Raedric. 

The Cypher had a tough time building focus on such high DR targets after the archers were down. I think I may keep her with stilletos. She had a war bow but could not do any dmg to gain focus. 

Cheers...

When chosing your convictions in conversations you eventually get a rank (clever 1, honest 3 etc) for each rank you get +1 deflection, +2 reflex, will, fort.

You can only claim these bonuses for the first 3 ranks in each of your dispositions

3 clever

3 diplomatic = 6 the max you can get.

It takes time to build them. Keep chosing them.

This only works for main character

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

Faith and Conviction does not give a bonus to Accuracy.  If you click on it in game in your character sheet it will tell you what it does.  It is a DEFENSIVE bonus to your Deflection, Fortitude, Reflex and Will.  Like Tennis said the more Dispositions you get in conversations with your CHOSEN ORDER the better these defenses get.  The highest you can attain is SIX ranks for the 2 favored disposition with your chosen order.  If you get ranks in the DISFAVORED dispositions of your order you will get a NEGATIVE in all four defenses UNLESS you take the talent UNTROUBLED FAITH.  Also at character creation and in your character sheet it tells you what your orders favored and disfavored dispositions are. 

Lastly, The faith and conviction bonuses are combat only so they will buff you with the proper defenses as soon as combat starts. The highest total you can get with 3/3 in each favored disposition is 11 Deflections and +22 to Fort, Reflex and Will.  If you spec into Deep Faith you can further increase these defenses by +2 Def and +5 Fort, Reflex and Will for a total of (if 3/3 in favored disposition) +13 deflection and +27 Fort, Reflex and Will.  This is why Paladins either make great tanks or good tanks if they are offensively specced.

Have gun will travel.

It ranks your dispositions

Cruel 1

Honest 4

Etc

Exactly.  So at a base of 5 deflection and 10 fort, will and reflex a Shieldbearer would gain +1 deflection for each point of honesty (max 3) and +2 to Fort, will and reflex since Honest is a favored disposition.  Since Cruel is disfavored for a Shieldbearer and hes got 1 point he would also have a -1 Deflection and -2 fort will and reflex (max 3) for a total of  +2 Deflection and +4 to Fort, will and Reflex.  Since your base is 5 /10/10/10 your total defense bonus from faith and conviction will be +7 Deflection and + 14 to Fort, Reflex and Will

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Thank you VERY much! 

This was exactly the information I was looking for. I will go back and check my sheet. Will it say if I have any 'negative' dispositions and how it grows? 

You can check that on your character sheet. You can also click on "Faith and Conviction" on your character sheet if you want to see the specific bonus you're getting.

I never did get a rank in disfavored but what happens if you have:

Favored

Rank 4

Rank 3

Disfavored

Rank 1

Would it be +6 defl or or +5?

Anyone knows?

+5/10/10/10. That's from +3X2 for having the max bonus that counts toward Faith and Conviction -1 from the disfavored.

Thank you VERY much! 

This was exactly the information I was looking for. I will go back and check my sheet. Will it say if I have any 'negative' dispositions and how it grows? 

Unless you are playing with Expert mode, there's an interface option to show dispositions in dialogue choices. This can ruin the immersion for some gamers, but if you don't mind, it will let you know what the "best" choice is for your order in dialogues.

My advice is to keep another save every so often, or at least cycle between three or so saves, and check your character sheet frequently, to make sure you don't have a negative disposition. If you get one, you could just reload, and sometimes from the last autosave is enough.

Edit: Keep in mind Faith and Conviction bonuses won't be added in either your character or inventory screen, until after combat starts (within about a second after).

Edited by Nobear
  • Like 1

Faith and conviction is a passive buff that paladins get due to their zealous/fanatic beliefs. What they believe in, changes depending on the role play and maybe order. Dispositions are thus a way for the main paladin character to do more role playing by selecting dialogue that goes with his order's preferred style.

As a reward, the player is then awarded more points in his passive buff as a result. That's the general explanation of why the mechanics are the way they are, at least. For a background on the class and how it fits into the game lore, read this.

The Cypher had a tough time building focus on such high DR targets after the archers were down. I think I may keep her with stilletos. She had a war bow but could not do any dmg to gain focus. 

Blunderbuss cipher with the DR bypass talent on.

Your might or per is probably too low to go through the armor of those knights using that weapon, so get a weapon with a higher base damage or with more DR. War bows don't have dr bypass, but stilettos and guns do.

Edited by Ymarsakar