Been thinking about starting a new game as a crit build Paladin. Mainly going to use Battle Axe, and no shield for the accuracy bonus.

Havent decided on order yet, though probably going for Kind Wayfarer.

Stats are completely undecided. Max PER for the accuracy bonus, but that's it. I don't think that I need too much INT for this build, so maybe take points from that and add them to MIG and DEX. But like I said, not decided yet.

Oh, and also, I'm going to play on hard, so no PotD stuff required.

Resolution with durgan steel has +15% attack speed, +80% crit damage, +20% graze-to-hit, +20% hit-to-crit. Plenty of other things to convert hits into crits. What you want to do is overkill for POTD. Unless you want to play solo.

With weapon above + zealous aura  you will already have 35% graze-to-hit convertion. With 1h focus goes up to 55%.

hit-to-crit is 20% from weapon, 5% from aura, 20% from priest spell, +15% from potion for a total 60% and that's just Hit-to-Crit (so you can allow yourself to have lower accuracy because hits will still become crits often)

Edited by Killyox
  • Like 1

Crit conversion, buffs, and debuffs make it so you don't have to rely entirely on the base accuracy of the character. I find myself taking damage boosting talents/abilities ahead of weapon focus. 

I've also read that White March introduced durgan enchantments on shields that increase the attack speed of your weapon. There are also 2 new shields with excellent damage procs. Pre expansion I liked single handed accuracy for some builds, but think sword and board comes out ahead now offensively in all cases. 

Thanks to everyone for the tips, I'm sure that I'll be able to work something out. Just tried something up now:
MIG 16

CON 10

DEX 12

PER 19

INT 5

RES 16

Human, because HFY, that's why. Don't know if I really need that 12 in DEX, maybe drop it to 10, and add those 2 points to INT to balance it a bit out. Or buff MIG or RES to 18.

Avoid one handed weapon style. The more accuracy you have (and that's the whole point of 1h weapon) the less useful it becomes. This is a shield users talent.

Yeah, I figured that out. Seems like a really useless talent in the long term. I might take the sword&shield talent at some point. Or not, since paladins have good saves anyway, most likely will carry a shield along, though.

Don't drop your int imo. It will hurt you. Loh will be shorter so less heal, auras smaller and so on. If you want per then just make 14 per and 10 int.

Would drop dex and just take +15% attack speed gloves and enchanted 1h with Durgan steel for 15% more and armor to decrease rec penalty by 15%

Edited by Killyox

Resolution with durgan steel has +15% attack speed, +80% crit damage, +20% graze-to-hit, +20% hit-to-crit. Plenty of other things to convert hits into crits. What you want to do is overkill for POTD. Unless you want to play solo.

Doesn't Resolution convert grazes to hits? Durgan steel also converts grazes to hits. Lastly, I don't believe grazes converted to hits can ever crit.

So that particular combination would not increase crit chance at all, would it?

Avoid one handed weapon style. The more accuracy you have (and that's the whole point of 1h weapon) the less useful it becomes. This is a shield users talent.

Nevermind miss understood.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Doesn't Resolution convert grazes to hits? Durgan steel also converts grazes to hits. Lastly, I don't believe grazes converted to hits can ever crit.

So that particular combination would not increase crit chance at all, would it?

It would, just not by converting grazes to hits to crits. If you roll a graze, it'd then roll a chance to be converted to a hit, and stop there. If you roll a hit (before conversion), it'd then roll a chance to convert that hit to a crit.