Modern Slavery in America

Wrath of Dagon

EVIL.

Stupid nazi SJWs.

Has that just become your go-to post? It doesn't even seem to be about the article or anything.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

As if I'm going to click on a Buzzfeed link. 

TommyLeeJonesCaptainAmerica.jpg

The story may or may not be legit, but Buzzfeed?  Seriously?  Come on, man.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hmm. You mean you don't buy seafood at Wal-Mart?

What is wrong with Buzzfeed?

(honest question. First time I've read anything there, and it does have a ton of links which seem to check out, except for one claiming a certain police sergeant being the current police chief, though looking the name up shows that he's a piece of work that likes to tase prisoners for kicks... seriously WTF is wrong with cops in the US?)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

What is wrong with Buzzfeed?

It's garbage.  Sensationalist, click-bait, unethical filth.  That's not to say that every single story on there is always garbage, but the site itself is cancerous enough that I'm not about to visit it for the few legit stories that may appear on there occasionally.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Buzzfeed's reputation, they're pretty much synonymous with sensationalist click-bait.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Heck no.  Have you been to Walmart?   sick.gif

Nope. I make a point of avoiding chain stores. The point remains, even if neither of us buy our groceries there, many people do.

It's garbage.  Sensationalist, click-bait, unethical filth.  That's not to say that every single story on there is always garbage, but the site itself is cancerous enough that I'm not about to visit it for the few legit stories that may appear on there occasionally.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Buzzfeed's reputation, they're pretty much synonymous with sensationalist click-bait.

Yeah, I don't know. All these "news" sites look the same to me, and they tend to blur together. I guess that, regardless of the story's merit (and that of the site at large), it's time to talk about immigration, what with elections around the corner and all.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Heck no.  Have you been to Walmart?   sick.gif

Nope. I make a point of avoiding chain stores. The point remains, even if neither of us buy our groceries there, many people do.

I'm not really sure what you point is though.  It is hard to find a chain store that doesn't have some sort of connection to a horrible vendor.  It is unrealistic to expect them to have perfect oversight AND manage to get products to stores at the lowest prices.  I do support consumer driven protests that bring this stuff to light, of course, and you tend to see the chains cut ties with vendors with this type of reputation pretty quickly once the consumer protests start rolling in.

It is unrealistic to expect them to have perfect oversight AND manage to get products to stores at the lowest prices.

Well, yes. The whole "LOWEST PRICES OMG" thing is pretty much what I'm talking about, and the reason I avoid retail chains. When low prices are the #1 priority, you know that a) somebody's getting shafted, b) the produce is pure unadulterated ****, c) the retailer is selling at a loss to retain their large customer base at the expense of the competition, or d) any combination of the above.

Sure, they cut ties with bad vendors really quick... only to pressure their new vendors to lower their prices using the huge bargaining power that a disproportionate market share brings.

I'm perfectly happy to pay more (WAY more in some cases) to know where the stuff I put in my mouth comes from. Less money for hookers and blow but, hey, a clean(er) conscience.

edit: my original question wasn't aimed at you, specifically, btw. Just being my usual snarky abrasive self.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

The situation isn't much better for parolees who can be extorted to bend to their employer's will with accusations of drug use on the job, stealing from the register, etc.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

i dont even need to bother reading the article. i know very well how modern day slavery works. and it's not something new it has been around for decades.

let me tell you an example of it was back in the day my father worked for VW. the workers had to get a monthly quota of whatever they were in charge of doing and would get a bonus if they made more of it than the required. of course, as always, the cake was a lie! German workers knew and told the immigrant workers NOT to make any more than their assigned quota, because:

1. the better part of the bonus would be taken as taxes

2. the next month they would be asked to do more work for the same money

most listened, but some tried to go for the bonus and, as foretold by the german workers, next month the production quota for the entire factory was increased without of course aditional pay for the extra work.

a more modern example is how businesses work today with the abundance of illegal immigrants. to hire legally a local, you have to pay him a standard minimum salary set by law and also pay for his health insurance and retirement fund. if you get an illegal immigrant worker though, you can pay less than half the salary with no extra costs. that forces locals to accept to work in the same conditions as an illegal immigrant to have any chance of having a job

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

If you read the article, though, you could've realised that your factory example doesn't even come close to what's reported in the article and that it's about legal immigrants, not illegal ones. But sure, reading is completely unnecessary.

Buzzfeed: Completely at odds with my expectations, this article is neither a list of 25 things nor does it consist mainly of pictures. It is proper journalism with all the fancy trappings like "couldn't be reached for comments" and "denies all allegations" and digging in court proceedings, and the length of text is quite decent.

There should be more of this kind of "clickbait". Try it.

@topic: Yeah, someone should do something about it, like inspections, prosecution, and stuff. But government is teh evulz, and the free market will fix it. :facepalm:

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

If you read the article, though, you could've realised that your factory example doesn't even come close to what's reported in the article and that it's about legal immigrants, not illegal ones. But sure, reading is completely unnecessary.

Buzzfeed: Completely at odds with my expectations, this article is neither a list of 25 things nor does it consist mainly of pictures. It is proper journalism with all the fancy trappings like "couldn't be reached for comments" and "denies all allegations" and digging in court proceedings, and the length of text is quite decent.

@topic: Yeah, someone should do something about it, like inspections, prosecution, and stuff. But government is teh evulz, and the free market will fix it. :facepalm:

It is cynical of me but, there was no source for the tearjerker story or any mention of names being changed. I'm not sure if its real or something done for emotional impact.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well I can't speak for immigration in the USA but i've only benefitted from immigrants in the UK. These ladies and gentlemen want to work, they are smart of appearance, usually better educated or more importantly eager to learn, and to be honest shame the youth of England whom I would be glad to employ but can't because of the large chips on their shoulders and their lack of work ethic. I'm all for a decent influx of Eastern European workers into the country, they're a real benefit and I wish our natives would take a few lessons from them.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

the factory example is from when my father was in his 20s. things are different now (and not in a good way)

also, even if the immigrant is legal, there is still room for exploitation, because an immigrant will accept to do ****ty jobs with under the table pay since he comes from a place with no job at all. while the local is always more picky

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Well I can't speak for immigration in the USA but i've only benefitted from immigrants in the UK. These ladies and gentlemen want to work, they are smart of appearance, usually better educated or more importantly eager to learn, and to be honest shame the youth of England whom I would be glad to employ but can't because of the large chips on their shoulders and their lack of work ethic. I'm all for a decent influx of Eastern European workers into the country, they're a real benefit and I wish our natives would take a few lessons from them.

It's certainly been my experience that immigrants have been by and large, better and harder working employees than those who were born here. It seems to be the case whether they are legal or undocumented, hi-tech or labor, government or private sector. This also covers across gender and ethnic lines. What they may lack in flawless English, they more than make up in personal drive and lack of sense of entitlement.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Kinda topical (check the date!)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

@topic: Yeah, someone should do something about it, like inspections, prosecution, and stuff. 

A few notes:

a) We have no way of knowing if this story is even true. Wouldn't want to expand regulation making the lives of everyone involved in this issue harder to solve a problem that may not even exist. 

b) I don't see why I should be punished (in the form of higher taxes or public debt) so that immigrants who come here of their own free will can have a better time while here. If you really find the situation so detestable then just end the program altogether rather then make me partially subsidize the importation of immigrant workers. After all, the inspections, prosecutions, and stuff cost taxpayer money.

c) Do you really think a few new laws to make a difference? The government is incompetent at everything it does, and is easy to fool.

But government is teh evulz, and the free market will fix it. :facepalm:

Considering this is a government immigration program it obviously is outside of the realm of the free market altogether; so I doubt you'll hear anyone suggesting the free market could fix it.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.