Ravenwing or a 2hander for a tankish Paladin.

So basically I am looking for a max alpha weapon for FoD. Looking through the 2handers in the game I see that ravenwing has more top end damage then most 2handers. Also it's got the buff that gives you +4 acc and 25%

More damage when attacking the same target as an ally.

my Paladin has 10 Per although he is being buffed by Zealous Focus so his acc is average..what would be better for when I want to alpha strike with FoD and sworn enemy..a 2hander or Ravenwing single handed giving me a +12 acc (1 handed inate bonus) for my average acc.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Ravenwing really is that awesome considering how early in the game you can get it. I'm sure plenty of two-handers will eventually out-damage it though, especially after enchants.

Though I haven't played any two-handed melee weapon user past Act 1, I am basing this off the fact that other one-handers can eventually outdo Ravenwing, such as Cladhaliath.

When you say you've looked through the two-handers in the game, are you using the Wiki or what? Are you factoring in enchants? Expansion weapons including Soulbound ones? I ask because I'd be really surprised if one of the popular two-handers like, say, a properly enchanted Tall Grass, St. Rumbalt, or Tidefall, couldn't out-damage Ravenwing.

But if Ravenwing happens to be more damaging than the two-handers you've come across by the time you get it, I say have fun with it until you get something clearly better.

Edited by Nobear

Ya it was just through the wiki and no enchants.  So there is probably a lot of them that can out damage it.  My Paladin is mostly a tank with good alphas his Per is 10.  So I figured the single weapon style with the + 12 accuracy might be more dps.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

You paladin will not be nr 1 damage anyway. I use pallegina 2h with grey sleeper  but so far she is more valuable using her active class skills and item skills while barb monk and rogue do the killing.

And since this is not an mmo there is no reason to look just for DPS. My 1h + shield DoC does ~100 dmg per hit. Had her dual wield but it was actually worse since my Resolution sabre has graze-to-hit (20%), hit-to-crit (20%) and +80% more crit dmg as well as +15% attack speed (durgan's steel upgrade). 

Pallegina has The Grey Sleeper which is awesome when it procs Darguls or Twin Boulders but well, she is awesome for other reasons XD

+10 acc when attacking the same target is not as useful as it sounds. I find it close to useless myself.

For a max alpha with FoD I like an Arquebus or Arbalest, just don't bother with reloading just draw aim and fire. Works great in the first seconds of the fight or hold it in reserve for when you want to drop someone behind the melee frontline.

For me the biggest problem with Ravenwing and maces in general is that the rest of the weapons in the group are not very good. Fast weak weapons are terrible against DR unless you're a Rogue with +240% damage boosts in effect and implements look retarded on anyone but a wizard. Put maces in the Knight group and Soldier has some real competition. Personally, I'd like it if the dropped one or even two of the weapon groups and distributed their weapons to the others. 

• Like 1

Ravenwing has a lot of damage but no accuracy bonus. If you enchant it to exceptional it's gonna loose it's uber damage.

Coordinating is rather bad on tank because tank's target is most likely attacking him, so your party shouldn't bother attacking it.

Damage  DPS of tank sucks and it will still suck with Coordinating bonus. Marking is better because it gives accuracy to someone who can actually make use of it.

• Like 1

Vancian =/= per rest.

For dps I find the weapon with the largest damage per hit and put a lash effect on it. The lash effect is based on the initial damage hit. Flames of devotion procs on each hand, so I think if you want to do the most damage, you need dual weapons. Both with high damage or high crit damage.

FoD + cipher debuffs or wizard debuffs or druid debuffs, will allow in the most damage if you can time it like that.

Two handed weapons get 15% extra damage from the talent, but if you aren't using that, then you can just do about the same damage using dual weapons with flames on. Probably Resolution sabre + that mace might be a good combo.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Yeah, you can do without a pure tank, though Pally is so ill suited to doing DPS (outside of it's ridiculous lvl 13 ability), might as well make them go all in and anchor down the middle of the line with a super Will save and High deflection.

Marking is pretty bad though. I'm fairly sure the tests show it only gives the +10 acc to a single hit, with some other awkward restrictions, sorta like the Pld's own version of marking, that make it pretty close to useless.

If you really want to spend points on FoD, it's best to use an Arb or Arq with it, figher damage+knock down. Then just swap to the Outworn shield plus melee weapong of choice, and go hold the line. Soldier's a good focus for this, as you can easily get that warhammer that has +1 guarding and +.5 to crit damage, useful for things disengaging, as well as your choice of big gun.

• Like 1

For a max alpha with FoD I like an Arquebus or Arbalest, just don't bother with reloading just draw aim and fire. Works great in the first seconds of the fight or hold it in reserve for when you want to drop someone behind the melee frontline.

For me the biggest problem with Ravenwing and maces in general is that the rest of the weapons in the group are not very good. Fast weak weapons are terrible against DR unless you're a Rogue with +240% damage boosts in effect and implements look retarded on anyone but a wizard. Put maces in the Knight group and Soldier has some real competition. Personally, I'd like it if the dropped one or even two of the weapon groups and distributed their weapons to the others.

I agree arquebus with exceptional and +25% dmg enchant. Boom headshot. Also the range for taking out that almost dead priest or druid about to cast that spell.. Edited by Tennisgolfboll
  • Like 1

I use Lead Spitter for FoD with a burning lash. In the expansion there are bracers that give extra 3 DR penetration. That adds up to a value of DR -10 (without Penetrating Shot) which makes Lead Spitter very powerful against targets with high pierce DR but low burn DR (there are quite a lot). I constantly get numbers above 120 with normal hits against "normal" enemies and way more against squishy casters thst most of the time die. I'm using a Bleak Walker with Intense Flames and Remember Rakhan Field for extra damage. Using Firebrand also works great against high DR enemies because you get all damage (150% or 175%) as burn damage and don't have to bypass DR two times.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ah... and by the way: Bittercut is a great sabre for Bleak Walkers because it does 100% corrode damage plus Rakhan Field 25% plus a corrosive lash 25% giving you a weapon that does 150% corrode + 75% burn damage. It's great against most high DR foes because most of the time they have one or two low elemental DR values.

Ah... and by the way: Bittercut is a great sabre for Bleak Walkers because it does 100% corrode damage plus Rakhan Field 25% plus a corrosive lash 25% giving you a weapon that does 150% corrode + 75% burn damage. It's great against most high DR foes because most of the time they have one or two low elemental DR values.

Only on Flames of Devotion which is meh anyways.

Far better skills/talents to take than his.

Monk does a lot better job with Swift Strikes + Lightning strikes (attack speed and 25% lightning dmg) Torment's Reach (+50% Crush dmg) + Turning Wheel (up to 50% fire dmg).

Paladin is a whole lot better (actually very good) at being a support.

Edited by Killyox

I think it's good for taking out one or two casters if you're willing to improve it and skip other abilities/talents for it. I'm playing PotD with my "underwhelming" FoD Bleak Walker and he's not to far behind my rogue, barb and wizard concerning overall damage dealt. You have to pick your targets carefully though.

I also have a monk like you mentioned above. Exactly these talents/abilities. I combined it with the new shoes that give +2 flat unarmed damage, the robe that casts displaced image on getting a crit and the gloves that do +2% raw damage per wound. I added Force of Anguish because then my rogue with boots of speed runs after the prone targets an finishes them The monk is superpowerful. He's not going down easily and dishes out tons of damage. When I get the two duplicates for him he will be absolutely devastating. Only bad thing is that you constantly have to pause and klick the "turning wheel" button...

Ya I agree that Paladin will never be the best damage dealer but why would the class be? Its too good defensively and support wise.  If it did damage like a monk or barb there would be ZERO reason to play those classes.  They do not have the support or defense of a Paladin.  Monk has good defense but not quite a Paladins. I am talking about COMPETENT Alpha strikes to help the team and not be totally useless offensively.  Thanks for the help guys. 

On top of the fact that  I have had Paladins that are pure damage oriented and don't out dps heavy hitters but they are not far behind and they do not fold like a stack of cards when enemy looks at them.  Looking at you rogues.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Ya I agree that Paladin will never be the best damage dealer but why would the class be? Its too good defensively and support wise.  If it did damage like a monk or barb there would be ZERO reason to play those classes.  They do not have the support or defense of a Paladin.  Monk has good defense but not quite a Paladins. I am talking about COMPETENT Alpha strikes to help the team and not be totally useless offensively.  Thanks for the help guys. 

On top of the fact that  I have had Paladins that are pure damage oriented and don't out dps heavy hitters but they are not far behind and they do not fold like a stack of cards when enemy looks at them.  Looking at you rogues.

Dunno about you but my barb does insane dmg and is remarkable tank. He has a lot more endurance and health than paladin, strong self heal and so on. With survival his healing over time potions also heal a lot.

All monk needs to be as strong as paladin is Lore and being able to cast aoe heals + moonwells.

If you want your Paladin to also be offensively useful then give him 2H The Grey Sleeper. On every hit/crit he has a chance to cast Twin Boulders and summon undead (even darguls).

My paladin is good with that 2h, some FoD fous but not 100%, lore (with armor giving +2 has 10) and uses fireball scrolls, paralyze scrolls and so on when I need more oomph.

Lore is very very good as a support skill to making good paladin. Then you can always have Fan of Flames (since he is frontliner) and a lot of other things. Making a great all arounder.

Paladin is not bad. At all. He is actually really really good if you make him so. Paladin with high Lore and his innate abilities/talents is great character that has answer for many situations. Tbh my Pallegina has so many things she can do xD Got like 12-14active skills/spells that I can use with her. It's a lot like warrior in a lot of ways but better with Greater Lay on Hands and other skills. Paladin > Fighter most definitely imo. I also love this aura +6 Acc, 15% graze-to-hit, 5% hit-to-crit aura.

PS

My Devil of Caroc(rogue) is tough as nails. 90 deflection, 120 reflex ~90 in other 2. She also does 100 dmg per hit with her 1h. Tried her DW, 1h + s and like her best with Durgan Steel Resolution Saber (amazing for rogue #1 imo). Definitely not squishy. Also gave her a cloak that when she is critted she becomes invisible for some time (can still move around and iirc attack while invis and cannot be targetted). Just Health is lower but that can be covered with +40%/20% health talents from more supportish classes.

Edited by Killyox
  • Like 1

Dunno about you but my barb does insane dmg and is remarkable tank. He has a lot more endurance and health than paladin, strong self heal and so on. With survival his healing over time potions also heal a lot.

All monk needs to be as strong as paladin is Lore and being able to cast aoe heals + moonwells.

If you want your Paladin to also be offensively useful then give him 2H The Grey Sleeper. On every hit/crit he has a chance to cast Twin Boulders and summon undead (even darguls).

My paladin is good with that 2h, some FoD fous but not 100%, lore (with armor giving +2 has 10) and uses fireball scrolls, paralyze scrolls and so on when I need more oomph.

Lore is very very good as a support skill to making good paladin. Then you can always have Fan of Flames (since he is frontliner) and a lot of other things. Making a great all arounder.

Paladin is not bad. At all. He is actually really really good if you make him so. Paladin with high Lore and his innate abilities/talents is great character that has answer for many situations. Tbh my Pallegina has so many things she can do xD Got like 12-14active skills/spells that I can use with her. It's a lot like warrior in a lot of ways but better with Greater Lay on Hands and other skills. Paladin > Fighter most

definitely imo. I also love this aura +6 Acc, 15% graze-to-hit, 5% hit-to-crit aura.

PS

My Devil of Caroc(rogue) is tough as nails. 90 deflection, 120 reflex ~90 in other 2. She also does 100 dmg per hit with her 1h. Tried her DW, 1h + s and like her best with Durgan Steel Resolution Saber (amazing for rogue #1 imo). Definitely not squishy. Also gave her a cloak that when she is critted she becomes invisible for some time (can still move around and iirc attack while invis and cannot be targetted). Just Health is lower but that can be covered with +40%/20% health talents from more supportish classes.

Mm ok, well not to start a fight or anything but mentioning that a monk or barbarian just needs lore to be better than a paladin, does not obviously take into account that said paladin can also take lore and use scrolls :)

I'd also add that your rogue must be really high level which is great, but bear in mind that for a substantial amount of the game she is going to be lying face down. Sure, at high levels with the right gear a rogue can have some deflection, just like a tank class can do some damage.

Obviously no one is suggesting that a paladin can come remotely close to a rogues damage, but to be fair nothing can. I've just started a play through with a pally for the first time and I am quite impressed by his dps. Sure it's not up to some of the other classes but it is good, really good. And the advantage is that his defense is great, so he does not need a huge amount of micro managing. It's also important when comparing dps to take into account how long each character ends up face planted. If you are unconscious your damage output tends to suffer...

One more thing, stats don't always tell the truth, shock, horror. Rogues are one of my favourite classes and I've had a couple of playthroughs with them. They are absolute beasts when it comes to damage, but in my experience a substantial amount of the damage they do, which is reflected on their character sheet, is wasted damage, it's overkill. It looks great and impressive and all that, but hitting a kobold for 100 hp damage when he only has 10hp left isn't actually that useful. I suppose to some extent it could average itself out, but not entirely.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Lore scrolls are pretty op, it's best to leave that stuff out of class balance talk.

I kinda agree except all classes can make use of them :)

Having said that I guess that some classes benefit more than others, as far as I can see rangers are the ones to benefit the most from high lore, while oddly enough spellcasters benefit the least. It is all rather strange.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light