Hey guys, was about to start playing this game for the first time. THink im going to roll a paladin. Im a bit concerned about all the bugs i hear about in this game but i'm going to give it a shot anyway =P

Couple questions though. Im not concerned bout max/mining but i would like to make a competent character. I'm quite confused about stats. I thought RES/PER were the stats to go for but it seems like they recently changed PER right? I think it no longer gives any defelection bonus at all, but is more accuracy oriented, is that right?

that being the case.. what stats should i focus on? I was thinking a lot of points in RES, with the majority of the rest being distributed into INT/CON with some into MIG and a tiny bit in DEX maybe? Or is DEX junk for pallys? Should i put a few into PER still as well? Just wondering which stats are the strongest since things seem to be changing

ALso i guess what order you pick is important for Paladins and Priests? I'm leaning towards either The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga or The Kind Wayfarers. It seems to boil down to going Diplomatic/honest vs Benevolent/Passionate. I like the benevolent passionate one but am not really sure what qualifies as passionate. Would i have to make rash emotional decisions a lot? Also a bit unsure on diplomatic.  I'm assuming honest is self explanatory... dont lie a bunch. And Benevolent probably means being giving and generous. But can anyone clarify passionate and diplomatic in gameplay terms?  I dont want to have to act like a hormonal teenager if i go the Ben/Pass route =P I'm also looking for clarification on how the whole system works. Im assuming its based off my conversation decisions in game right?

It seems they get different bonus's too

Kind Wayfarers get
Strange Mercy - When the paladin defeats an opponent, nearby allies gain Endurance.
The Sword and the Shepherd - The paladin's Flames of Devotion restores Endurance to nearby allies.

Shieldbearers get 
Shielding Flames - The paladin's Flames of Devotion grants a temporary Deflection bonus to nearby allies.
Shielding Touch - Whenever the paladin uses Lay on Hands on an ally, the ally gains a Deflection Bonus.

Seems shieldbearers are more defense oriented, but strange mercy sounds REALLY usefull.. isn't endurance basically health in this game? which of those bonus sets would be the best bet. I actually was planning on being pretty def oriented, but strange mercy sounds really really good

Truthfully, I haven't run into any bugs at all.  Then again, I don't push the game or get into edge cases.

I made my pally belong to St Elecga.  That one fits my "personal world view" better than the others.  Had that not been an option for some reason, I'd have gone with the Kind Wayfarers (I should I suppose mention here that I am a "carebear" period - I never play anything that's remotely "dodgy" and I certainly never play anything even a bit shady; as for actively evil?  Bite your tongue!)

In any case, I haven't yet run into reason to wish I'd gone with a different order.

Welcome!

First, there have been a number of recent threads started by other new players that were looking for similar advice about paladins. Among them, there's this one and that one, which are both about the current state of things post-2.0 (the big patch with the types of changes you're referring to).

The type of stat spread you mentioned would work well. If you check out those threads, you'll see a lot of different opinions. Personally, I'd prefer to max Res (mostly for deflection, concentration, and dialogue options) and Int (to be as sure as possible that my auras will cover my entire custom formation, to have long buffs, and dialogue options). There are a pair of boots you can buy from a merchant in Act 2 that increase your aura range by 20%, but my preference is to be free to wear something even better. I'd dump Dex personally, because as a tank you just won't get much mileage out of attacking faster, compared to the benefit it would grant to a DPS-focused character. I'd rank Mig higher than Dex, because it makes your heals stronger too, and any Per Encounter or Per Rest abilities that you wouldn't be able to do more times per encounter no matter how much Dex you had. Con has also become more important post-2.0, since tanks are squishier in general (because, among other things, you can't get as much deflection but enemies usually have more accuracy, due to the Per change as well as some item and talent nerfs). I'd personally keep Per at 10, both so my Reflex score wasn't completely terrible, and because scrolls and a couple of good abilities do benefit from accuracy.

To summarize the above paragraph, I don't have the game loaded up, but I'd have min Dex/10 Per/max Int/max Res, and whatever was left probably to Str more than Con. As long as you ended up with at least 10 Con, you'd be pretty fine this way.

Edit: Basically, in that first thread I linked, the first person who replied quoted a build that dumped both Dex and Per. As Torn and others noted, that build's biggest weakness would be low Reflex. I'd take that build and bring down Con and/or Mig to have 10 Per. Now, whether you have 18 Str/10 Con, 14/14, or 10/18... you could make a case for any such variant that had at least 10 Con.

What difficulty are you planning to play, and will you try to go with a full party of six or not?

Edited by Nobear

Hey guys, was about to start playing this game for the first time. THink im going to roll a paladin. Im a bit concerned about all the bugs i hear about in this game but i'm going to give it a shot anyway =P

Couple questions though. Im not concerned bout max/mining but i would like to make a competent character. I'm quite confused about stats. I thought RES/PER were the stats to go for but it seems like they recently changed PER right? I think it no longer gives any defelection bonus at all, but is more accuracy oriented, is that right?

that being the case.. what stats should i focus on? I was thinking a lot of points in RES, with the majority of the rest being distributed into INT/CON with some into MIG and a tiny bit in DEX maybe? Or is DEX junk for pallys? Should i put a few into PER still as well? Just wondering which stats are the strongest since things seem to be changing

ALso i guess what order you pick is important for Paladins and Priests? I'm leaning towards either The Shieldbearers of St. Elcga or The Kind Wayfarers. It seems to boil down to going Diplomatic/honest vs Benevolent/Passionate. I like the benevolent passionate one but am not really sure what qualifies as passionate. Would i have to make rash emotional decisions a lot? Also a bit unsure on diplomatic.  I'm assuming honest is self explanatory... dont lie a bunch. And Benevolent probably means being giving and generous. But can anyone clarify passionate and diplomatic in gameplay terms?  I dont want to have to act like a hormonal teenager if i go the Ben/Pass route =P I'm also looking for clarification on how the whole system works. Im assuming its based off my conversation decisions in game right?

It seems they get different bonus's too

Kind Wayfarers get
Strange Mercy - When the paladin defeats an opponent, nearby allies gain Endurance.
The Sword and the Shepherd - The paladin's Flames of Devotion restores Endurance to nearby allies.

Shieldbearers get 
Shielding Flames - The paladin's Flames of Devotion grants a temporary Deflection bonus to nearby allies.
Shielding Touch - Whenever the paladin uses Lay on Hands on an ally, the ally gains a Deflection Bonus.

Seems shieldbearers are more defense oriented, but strange mercy sounds REALLY usefull.. isn't endurance basically health in this game? which of those bonus sets would be the best bet. I actually was planning on being pretty def oriented, but strange mercy sounds really really good

It's overrated.

In the grand scheme of things this is tiny.

Priest has very good heals and protections. Characters with Lore can use AoE healing Scrolls which become very good + suspend afflictions from rings. PAladins can get Greater Lay on Hands which is pretty fantastic as well as that Heal that jumps between allies healing on every jump.

Most likely you will take anything but these :)

It's overrated.

In the grand scheme of things this is tiny.

Priest has very good heals and protections. Characters with Lore can use AoE healing Scrolls which become very good + suspend afflictions from rings. PAladins can get Greater Lay on Hands which is pretty fantastic as well as that Heal that jumps between allies healing on every jump.

Most likely you will take anything but these :)

You're referring to Strange Mercy being overrated I assume. I basically agree. For the OP, what it comes down to is that it requires the paladin to be the one to land the killing blow. For a tank, this would require careful micromanagement, certain offensive talents, and well-timed ability uses to pull off reliably. Compare this with just having the Moon Godlike passive ability, which triggers exactly when it's most beneficial without any need for thought. Some consider it OP.

Edited by Nobear

I've had some luck with Strange Mercy on PotD with a high might, high perception, high resolve Two hander Paladin. In fights with lots of enemies, like xaurips, he'll end up killing two or three each fight which is not bad to get a few AoE heals of 24 endurance each.

Now my group is melee heavy with Eder, Pellegrina, my pally, Itumaak and Kana all being melee with Aloth and Sagani providing ranged fire support. I have enough front to establish and control most encounters. Each melee handles their own enemy with the ranged and Kana with a reach weapon trying to pile on one target at a time after any dangerous casters are dealt with.

It is not a bad pick at level 2 or 4. At low levels getting one or two +24 heals in a fight can make a big difference, especially if you are running without a priest. At higher level it is probably worthwhile to spec out of it as +24 wont matter much when you have 200., but then again at high levels you end up with extra talents that you can waste once the essentials are covered.

Would i have to make rash emotional decisions a lot? Also a bit unsure on diplomatic. 

Passionate is like Lawful Good in that they tend to make emotional reactions to certain... things. It doesn't decide how you deal with quests, it's just a reaction in dialogue... mostly. I haven't seen most of the dialogue options. Not sure how you could see it without going through all the stats maxed.

Benevolent provides some helpful options for quests, but generally if you are merciful and like to give people a break, you solve quests that way and you also get pts in benevolent. Diplomatic is the peaceful way, you try to talk yourself out of fighting people or phrase things in a way that is civilized.

I'm assuming honest is self explanatory... dont lie a bunch.

It also gets you in trouble at times, because you're honest no matter who you're talking to, friend or enemy.

I'm also looking for clarification on how the whole system works. Im assuming its based off my conversation decisions in game right?

In dialogue you get some options, some are flavored differently and will get you disposition points on the axis for so and so. There are also quests which, depending on how you handle them, will give you a through z disposition points. I think the crit path has a lot of that stuff on it which gives big points one way or another. They aren't mutually exclusive, so technically you could have 3 in cruel and 3 in benevolent. How you explain that is.... up to you.

As for paladin order talents, you still have to take up a talent pick with it. And they don't give you the exact numbers from the description. So strange mercy is good in longer fights against many many spiders or wildlings, but is only around 25 aoe heal compared to the single 100-175 heal over time you get from lay on hands. As mentioned before above, it's power only procs if you get the last blow in and that takes some micro. But can also be fun if you like to be the person with the last hit in.

Btw Kenshin, when you use "carebear", is that because you're from Something Awful forums, play Eve Online, or is it due to something completely different?

Detailed build break downs here. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

Edited by Ymarsakar

The orders and their talents are just fluff. The normal talents are better

Shiledbearer has a somewhat unique good build but the standard pally build is still better imo.

As for stats id say max resolve. The others you can do what you want with as a first timer, it wont be bad at all. They all have value.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I had same problem a few weeks ago in the end after some really useful insight from the community here I decided to go for a Darcozzi instead because the heals from Wayfarer are lackluster in endgame and the +10 deflection from Shieldbearer although it stacks(it's ok-ish) with the rest usually you need to aoe cc your opponents and that's the best defense for your entire party. So I picked Darcozzi for the accuracy buff which stacks and now my wizzard has usually 99 if not 100% chanse to throw my oponents prone through either slicken or slumber.

Moon Goodlike Darcozzi Paladin:

Mig. 17

Con. 16

Dex. 4(3 + 1 racial)

Per. 3

Int. 19(18 + 1 racial)

Res. 19(18 + 1 Aedyr)

You could go 18 might, 15 constitution, playing arround +/- 1 point, I just wanted a round number on bonus endurance ;) . So the main purpose of this pallie is defense, holding the line until the opponents fall exactly in the needed spot( preferably blobing around my front-line) so I can aoe cc and then nuke them with my casters all together. The high Int means my aura and aoe buffs(from buckler) get applied to my entire party easily. I also use a defensive chanter in my front-line.

Edited by Vorad

Darcozzi is the only order whose talent is useful throughout the game so good choice.  I think all the Paladin orders have a cool uniqueness.  Darcozzi are like the guards of the houses  from Game of Thrones in that they are loyal to the Family not the Kingdom.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Dumping your Per and Dex like that is going to give you an awful Reflex defense.  Also offensively you might want to be more balanced your Dex is so low you will hit super slow.   Enemy AI will disengage and ignore you.  Up to you though if you have enough CC it wont matter.  I like more balanced builds post 2.0.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Thanks guys, i'll look at those threads mentioned. I will be just playing on normal and will use the max party the game lets me recruit of the in game characters.  

The stats Vorad posted are definitely not something i'd do. Like i said im not concerned with min/maxing this. I just want something functional for a normal first time playthrough as a sword and board tanky pally, leaning towards aoe heals and the like. And thank you for pointing out strange mercy only works on kills. If im not pumping up my attack much it would probably be better to go with the shieldbearers. 

Thanks for the explanation on the rep system. Follow up question: do you know when you get gains/losses? Is there any indicator after the convesation/action choice? Blea gonna have to think about that one. Honesty would maybe be a problem sometimes, but i dont want to have to be an emotional outbursting emo bleeding heart all the time either =P

Just eyeballing the stats and fiddling around i was thinking something like this

MIG 11
Con  12
Dex 10
Per 10
int  14
res  18

Is that decent or should i maybe not put RES so high at the start and put a few more points in CON or MIG? Maybe a smatter in DEX or something? Is DEX worth anything to a pally? I'm also wondering if this is like KOTOR and some other games where it takes more points to raise your stats once they get higher ... i.e. i would have to spend like 2 or 3 points to get it to 19 once in game. 

@Ymarksar ... i didn't use the term Carebear that was someone else. But its a general gaming term as far as i know that means coddling or making things easier. Usually in the MMO world

Dumping your Per and Dex like that is going to give you an awful Reflex defense.  Also offensively you might want to be more balanced your Dex is so low you will hit super slow.   Enemy AI will disengage and ignore you.  Up to you though if you have enough CC it wont matter.  I like more balanced builds post 2.0.

Yes it's not such a big problem, since I have 4 casters (2 wizards, 1 druid, 1 priest) the aoe cc/nuke is really nice. Plus with a big health pool and a shield + upgrades + pallie talents/bonuses reflex is not a big issue.

I am running around with food bonus + rest bonus + measured restraint so the low Dex,Per are counter-weighted back to normal-ish. I don't mind so much about Dex because I'm using a fast weapon anyway but I care more about perception. Sadly although I meant the paladin for defense purpose mostly I still need high might for racial(Moon) + 13th level aura(really nice) + alpha strikes. Perception would help even further with the alpha strikes or if I chose to give her a "knockdown" belt(which I'd really like), however I can't seem to find the extra points. I am also giving the pallie the new cloak from white march +2 perception + 2 enemies needed to flank so in the end I get an extra 5 points(Towers rest + cloak) perception bonus + 5 accuracy from rapier which mitigates the negative effect on accuracy a bit.(There are also some foods which increase perception a bit further)

An idea could be to drop might and constitution and even intellect by 2-3 points, and bump perception that way. That wouldn't hurt so much I suppose however at a closer look say a more balanced base might 14, constitution 14, intellect 17, perception 10 to me at least seems a bit lackluster. As if trying to achieve too much with too little one of the reasons why in the end I opted with min/maxing instead.

All in all I still hit the opponents rather frequently add in there some "miasma" from wizard and everything seems fine. However it is worth noticing that even for potd there is no need for min/max the frontline if you have a highly aoe/cc oriented(min/maxed) party on the backline.

Is there any indicator after the convesation/action choice?

There's an indicator on the character sheet for current disposition, like 1-5 or something. It's invisible if it is 0. And I don't remember it ever actually taking points away. The disposition handles certain npc introduction flavors and bark strings over npc heads, as it stands for your reputation Roleplay wise.

Most of this stuff is permanently invisible on expert mode, but in the normal mode you can toggle many of them on or off.

@Ymarksar ... i didn't use the term Carebear that was someone else. But its a general gaming term as far as i know that means coddling or making things easier. Usually in the MMO world

Oh I see. Sorry for getting the wrong post mixed up.

If you are just having the Paladin be a mob collector for AoE CC and then nukes would it be better to just use a Ranger and have the pet do the same thing?

Worse case you'd need two Rangers for two pets to collect the mob.

I'm not sure what other people do, but I just use a max ranged ranger to pull using wounded shot, works relatively work. For larger groups, the chill fog and hobble aoes are pre cast between enemy and the ranger out of line of sight. The wizard's rolling fire and lightning is also great at pulling, because it'll keep on going past the line of sight. Sometimes way too far and hit something it wasn't intended to hit. Early on when the casters had few per rest abilities, I had everyone do the ranged run and gun strategy. They would run the mobs around in a big circle or wait until they de aggroed due to los/range, and then keep hitting them with ranged dps. It's also nice for pulling the faster casters forward while the slower big enemies got delayed. It's much easier to pull now in 2.0 at level 9-11 though, because of more classes and powers to choose from. Ranger was pretty broken back when I first tried kiting tricks, and that didn't help.

I try to keep the ranger's pet out of the first line because I need that one alive to get the ranger to do the extra damage with the pet thing. Now that Itumaak has something like 20-24 DR at higher levels, he can absorb quite some damage, if paladin or aoe heals are available. Which they will be. But if your party has no speed buffs, I think itumaak has a natural move speed buff on so that might be useful. The move speed and move speed debuff spells are very important because in 2.0 I think enemies will never pull out of aggro range if they see you or if they see an enemy (ally) you are shooting. So the only way to stop them from catching up and de aggro is to run faster than they do. Not a problem in open field fights that you've explored, but might be a problem in those dungeons.

I don't rely on any single strategy, so that's why my party is more balanced and not 1 chanter + 5 rangers, which is the orthodox run and gun strategy.

"Is that decent or should i maybe not put RES so high at the start and put a few more points in CON or MIG? Maybe a smatter in DEX or something? Is DEX worth anything to a pally? I'm also wondering if this is like KOTOR and some other games where it takes more points to raise your stats once they get higher ... i.e. i would have to spend like 2 or 3 points to get it to 19 once in game. "

If you don't want to min max, then having 10-12 stats around looks good. I prefer the perception dialogue options over the resolve for most of the Pillars crit/sub quest paths though. So that's why I picked a cipher, because perception was supposed to give 1 accuracy per point, then they changed it to deflection... and so on.

Dex is useful to everyone but less so to slow moving plates of armor with a big gun on top. And normally for dex builds, you want a lot of dex, like +5 points of difference to see a noticeable change in 30s battles. Might is more important to a paladin because of damage+heals. And no, they don't use the DnD point distribution system like in KOTOR. This is a pure point for point attribute system.

With disposition role play for a main paladin, you can get 3/3 points of disposition for your two favored. Which ends up being... 6 deflection and 12 defenses to the rest? I think. So 18 resolve gives 1 deflection per point above 10, but the concentration bonus is really good if you are say, trying to cast exhortations or lay on hands on somebody and you're still getting hit. The concentration reduces the chances that you'll be setback in your action for .25 or .5 or 1.0 seconds depending on the enemy attack strength.

Resolve is also probably very paladin like in its role playing dialogue too. More so than passionate and aggressive I thought.

Edited by Ymarsakar

Is there any indicator after the convesation/action choice?

There's an indicator on the character sheet for current disposition, like 1-5 or something. It's invisible if it is 0. And I don't remember it ever actually taking points away. The disposition handles certain npc introduction flavors and bark strings over npc heads, as it stands for your reputation Roleplay wise.

Most of this stuff is permanently invisible on expert mode, but in the normal mode you can toggle many of them on or off.

Oh I see. Sorry for getting the wrong post mixed up.

If you are just having the Paladin be a mob collector for AoE CC and then nukes would it be better to just use a Ranger and have the pet do the same thing?

Worse case you'd need two Rangers for two pets to collect the mob.

I'm not sure what other people do, but I just use a max ranged ranger to pull using wounded shot, works relatively work. For larger groups, the chill fog and hobble aoes are pre cast between enemy and the ranger out of line of sight. The wizard's rolling fire and lightning is also great at pulling, because it'll keep on going past the line of sight. Sometimes way too far and hit something it wasn't intended to hit. Early on when the casters had few per rest abilities, I had everyone do the ranged run and gun strategy. They would run the mobs around in a big circle or wait until they de aggroed due to los/range, and then keep hitting them with ranged dps. It's also nice for pulling the faster casters forward while the slower big enemies got delayed. It's much easier to pull now in 2.0 at level 9-11 though, because of more classes and powers to choose from. Ranger was pretty broken back when I first tried kiting tricks, and that didn't help.

I try to keep the ranger's pet out of the first line because I need that one alive to get the ranger to do the extra damage with the pet thing. Now that Itumaak has something like 20-24 DR at higher levels, he can absorb quite some damage, if paladin or aoe heals are available. Which they will be. But if your party has no speed buffs, I think itumaak has a natural move speed buff on so that might be useful. The move speed and move speed debuff spells are very important because in 2.0 I think enemies will never pull out of aggro range if they see you or if they see an enemy (ally) you are shooting. So the only way to stop them from catching up and de aggro is to run faster than they do. Not a problem in open field fights that you've explored, but might be a problem in those dungeons.

I don't rely on any single strategy, so that's why my party is more balanced and not 1 chanter + 5 rangers, which is the orthodox run and gun strategy.

"Is that decent or should i maybe not put RES so high at the start and put a few more points in CON or MIG? Maybe a smatter in DEX or something? Is DEX worth anything to a pally? I'm also wondering if this is like KOTOR and some other games where it takes more points to raise your stats once they get higher ... i.e. i would have to spend like 2 or 3 points to get it to 19 once in game. "

If you don't want to min max, then having 10-12 stats around looks good. I prefer the perception dialogue options over the resolve for most of the Pillars crit/sub quest paths though. So that's why I picked a cipher, because perception was supposed to give 1 accuracy per point, then they changed it to deflection... and so on.

Dex is useful to everyone but less so to slow moving plates of armor with a big gun on top. And normally for dex builds, you want a lot of dex, like +5 points of difference to see a noticeable change in 30s battles. Might is more important to a paladin because of damage+heals. And no, they don't use the DnD point distribution system like in KOTOR. This is a pure point for point attribute system.

With disposition role play for a main paladin, you can get 3/3 points of disposition for your two favored. Which ends up being... 6 deflection and 12 defenses to the rest? I think. So 18 resolve gives 1 deflection per point above 10, but the concentration bonus is really good if you are say, trying to cast exhortations or lay on hands on somebody and you're still getting hit. The concentration reduces the chances that you'll be setback in your action for .25 or .5 or 1.0 seconds depending on the enemy attack strength.

Resolve is also probably very paladin like in its role playing dialogue too. More so than passionate and aggressive I thought.

Full faith and conviction buffs 3/3 is a total of 11 deflection and +22 Fort, Dex and Will.  If you get Deep Faith its +13 Deflection and +27 Fort, Reflex and Will,

Have gun will travel.

Thanks guys, i'll look at those threads mentioned. I will be just playing on normal and will use the max party the game lets me recruit of the in game characters.

The stats Vorad posted are definitely not something i'd do. Like i said im not concerned with min/maxing this. I just want something functional for a normal first time playthrough as a sword and board tanky pally, leaning towards aoe heals and the like. And thank you for pointing out strange mercy only works on kills. If im not pumping up my attack much it would probably be better to go with the shieldbearers.

Thanks for the explanation on the rep system. Follow up question: do you know when you get gains/losses? Is there any indicator after the convesation/action choice? Blea gonna have to think about that one. Honesty would maybe be a problem sometimes, but i dont want to have to be an emotional outbursting emo bleeding heart all the time either =P

Just eyeballing the stats and fiddling around i was thinking something like this

MIG 11

Con 12

Dex 10

Per 10

int 14

res 18

Is that decent or should i maybe not put RES so high at the start and put a few more points in CON or MIG? Maybe a smatter in DEX or something? Is DEX worth anything to a pally? I'm also wondering if this is like KOTOR and some other games where it takes more points to raise your stats once they get higher ... i.e. i would have to spend like 2 or 3 points to get it to 19 once in game.

Its fine.

One could argue that obsidian has really balanced the stats for a paladin well and building a better paladin then that isnt possible.

Id probably prefer less in intellect and more in constitution to make the best tank possible but the difference is really small tbh and something has to be sacrificed.

My favorite current stats are

Mig 11

Con 18

Dex 10

Per 10

Int 10

Res 19

I also really like changing MIG and Con for eachother if i want more offense and healing.

I say high resolve for a tank paladin and best race is moon. The rest is all fluff. I wouldnt lower two stats of the same defense though (low per and dex)

And even maxing resolve for a tank i mean a high resolve is nice but 15 or 18 at level 14 doesnt mean that much.

I kind off like having 2 high stats for rp reasons aswell. For example the mighty paladin with iron resolve. Fits nice

Edited by Tennisgolfboll
  • Like 1

That's a good balance tennis.  Personally I like the int for a support paladin that tanks.  Big Auras and Long last LoH and Exhortations so I usually do a 14 Con, 16 Int, 16 Res and a 12 Might but I lose out on 3 Deflection.  I have one piece of gear with Resolve gets me to 18 for Diologue.  I bet if we specced them exactly the same the results would be similar.

MIG 11
Con 12
Dex 10
Per 10
int 14
res 18

Its fine.

One could argue that obsidian has really balanced the stats for a paladin well and building a better paladin then that isnt possible.

Id probably prefer less in intellect and more in constitution to make the best tank possible but the difference is really small tbh and something has to be sacrificed.

My favorite current stats are

Mig 11
Con 18
Dex 10
Per 10
Int 10
Res 19

I also really like changing MIG and Con for eachother if i want more offense and healing.

I say high resolve for a tank paladin and best race is moon. The rest is all fluff. I wouldnt lower two stats of the same defense though (low per and dex)

And even maxing resolve for a tank i mean a high resolve is nice but 15 or 18 at level 14 doesnt mean that much.

I kind off like having 2 high stats for rp reasons aswell. For example the mighty paladin with iron resolve. Fits nice

Have gun will travel.

A great formation for a paladin tank (or tanks) is front position and then all the others in the last rank.

Yes your aura even with 19 int wont reach anyone but your other tank but noone will run past your tanks.

Ive done hundreds of battles with this formation 2 as far forward as possible, 4 as far back as possible and the enemies just swarm the tanks. (No engagement talents)

Coupled with the paladins insane defenses that makes for a very powerful tactic (wizard, druid, priest spells raining down on the poor enemeis)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll
  • Like 1

A great formation for a paladin tank (or tanks) is front position and then all the others in the last rank.

Yes your aura even with 19 int wont reach anyone but your other tank but noone will run past your tanks.

Ive done hundreds of battles with this formation 2 as far forward as possible, 4 as far back as possible and the enemies just swarm the tanks. (No engagement talents)

Coupled with the paladins insane defenses that makes for a very powerful tactic (wizard, druid, priest spells raining down on the poor enemeis)

That's a good point and suggestion to consider. That said, it has a few tradeoffs:

1) The obvious auras not reaching everyone

2) Ranges on some spells/abilities even for ranged classes requiring them to waste time running forward if they weren't a bit closer to begin with

3) Range on most buff and heal spells not covering everyone

As a compromise, I have my custom formation with Aloth and Grieving Mother furthest back (but not at the very back, so the aura will still cover them with maxed Int), and Durance and Hiravias one row in front of them. This still leaves quite a bit of space between my PC paladin tank + Eder, and the ranged. This allowed very controlled fights outside a small % pre-2.0, but I should note that I haven't tested it post-2.0 yet, and I know there have been AI improvements that could potentially reduce the % of fights that remain easily controlled this way.

Another thing worth mentioning, about aura size, is that there is a pair of boots from a Dyrford Village merchant that increase paladin aura size by 20%, which might allow for a more spread-out formation and/or a few points less of Int, while still covering your whole formation.

But the really powerful spells have pretty good range and since the enemies swarm over the tanks they are actually peetty close yet dont break away to go for back row so that isnt an issue.

But the auras wont reach my own team but ive tried having them closer and then friend and foe is all mingled.up and spellcasters get attacked at.times.

Arkemyr%27s_Capricious_Hex+insect plague is a very nice opener that has enormous range.

Having an area filled with seal, ice.fog etc aswell makes encounters a bloodbath and the hardest enemies will often not even dent my tanks.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

Darcozzi is the only order whose talent is useful throughout the game so good choice. I think all the Paladin orders have a cool uniqueness. Darcozzi are like the guards of the houses from Game of Thrones in that they are loyal to the Family not the Kingdom.

I always found strange the Darcozzi, from a RP point of view.

Because, well, I understand their roles as House protectors, sworn swords, etc; I can even relate them to some orders in other fantasy worlds.

But... well, you know nothing about the Darcozzi Family (at least in the beggining); two lines in your order description. So it's really hard to picture your motivation, goals, etc; because you're not following some ideal, like the other orders; you're basically a thug for a family you don't know.

It would be nice if they told more about them, like... if you create a Darkozzi Paladin, you start the game with a book in your inventory explaining the history of the family.

Edited by Elthalas
  • Like 1