Vicious Aim and Gallant's Focus Mutually Exclusive?

So I just leveled up on my ranger and picked Gallant's Focus because it sounded like a cool way for ranger to buff her team and get a few more crits. Instead, I'm greeted with this: it's mutually exclusive with Vicious Aim.

I'm getting really annoyed with how poorly the game communicates with the player. I know it's gotten better lately from the release when you just had to completely guess what everything was and did, but I've now wasted an incredibly precious level up on a talent that I can now never use. I would have been okay-ish with the accuracy bonus being suppressed on her; that I could have lived with. But having it just instantly cancel Vicious Aim? That's ****ing annoying. Vicious Aim isn't even an aoe, they share nothing in common except both having (different) accuracy bonuses. Why not just make one suppress the other if them stacking was such a big deal?

Could we please get some better feedback on things that won't work with other things? Even if it's just a list in each talent description (doesn't stack with: list, or, cannot be on at the same time as: list) like BG had with classes that worked with certain items. Of course, I didn't notice this until fairly well down the road because I swear when I unlocked the talent it turned on without disabling Vicious Aim.

Over all that's by far the biggest complaint for this game. It doesn't give you enough information to make smart decisions. It's struggled with that since day 1 and it's really unfortunate that it's struggling with it still. I would have preferred White March being pushed back 2 months and that time spent bug fixing and quality of life improving. Stuff like this shouldn't make it through QA.

Still love the game, still wish it wasn't such a negative experience from the quality of life end of things.

Yeah, respec and everything is good again.

Can you respec Sagani?

That's really missing the point of my post, though. I can live and make it through the game fine with a wasted talent. My point is that the game is really **** at communicating this stuff with the player, and needs to be better in that regard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What does and does not stack has always been wonky.

Reckless Assault (modal) + Savage Attack (modal) + Vulnerable Attack (modal) all work and all are offensive.

Defender (modal) does not work with anything whether defensive or offensive.

Duality of Mortal Presence (modal) does not work with Cautious Attack (modal) but does work fine with Savage Attack (modal)

• Like 1

Dude, These 2 skills are "modals". it's clearly stated in their descriptions.

you can only have one modal active at a time.

So naturally, it's wasted on a class that has a strong modal. I stuck it on Kana.

This is nonsense.

You can have several modals active at the same time, so long as they don't disobey the game's somewhat unpredictable ideas of what modals are mutually exclusive.

The general rule as explained by developers in the bug forum, where this annoying issue has come up more than a few times, is that modals that affect any of the same stats are mutually exclusive, but... if only it were that simple.

The most modals I have managed to have active at the same time that works and makes sense is 4, such as e.g. with a rogue

(4) Reckless Assault + Savage Attack + Vulnerable Attack + Gallant's Focus

The most modals I have managed to have active at the same time that work is something that would be an extremely silly thing to spend talent points on but was fun to test was 6, a rogue with:

(6) Reckless Assault + Savage Attack + Vulnerable Attack + Gallant's Focus + Penetrating Shot + Dangerous Implement

• Like 2

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Detailed stacking rules are here:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Stacking

You can activate as many modals as you want. But 1) bonuses do not stack if they do the same thing and 2) some modals can indeed cancel each other out, like Pally Frenzies and Ranger Aims.

Edited by LaSpeakeasi

You can activate as many modals as you want. But 1) bonuses do not stack if they do the same thing and 2) some modals can indeed cancel each other out, like Pally Frenzies and Ranger Aims.

So why can't Defender be active at the same time as Savage Attack or Cautious Attack?

Why does Gallant Focus turn off Vicious Aim rather than simply not stack it's bonus?  A better solution seems like nearby allies should get the bonus, but not the Ranger if you don't want them to stack.

Edited by MunoValente

So why can't Defender be active at the same time as Savage Attack or Cautious Attack?

Why does Gallant Focus turn off Vicious Aim rather than simply not stack it's bonus?  A better solution seems like nearby allies should get the bonus, but not the Ranger if you don't want them to stack.

I wouldn't be surprised if the modals simply bugged out and don't work as intended. Why don't you post this on the bug forum and see if you'd get a dev response?