Democalypse 2016

ShadySands

Yes, one always loves moderation in an enemy.

And that's a big part of the problem with politics in the U.S. today-- the rival party is viewed as "an enemy." 

A reasonable public servant who earnestly wants to help provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare of the Unites States of America is not my enemy, even if we have different opinions on the appropriate means by which to carry out the government's constitutional duties.  Elected officials who are willing to burn **** down to prove what badasses they are might be, though. 

• Like 5

So if you could choose, no budgets would be passed and the government would be in perpetual shutdown?

There are no budgets passed, it's simply one continuing resolution after another. Yet somehow Dems get everything they want, and Conservatives who supposedly control the House and the Senate if you believe the liars who call themselves Conservative every time they're up for re-election get jack squat.

And that's a big part of the problem with politics in the U.S. today-- the rival party is viewed as "an enemy." 

A reasonable public servant who earnestly wants to help provide for the common defense and promote the general welfare of the Unites States of America is not my enemy, even if we have different opinions on the appropriate means by which to carry out the government's constitutional duties.  Elected officials who are willing to burn **** down to prove what badasses they are might be, though.

I was using "enemy" in a generic sense, don't get your panties in a bunch.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It's hard not to see the other party as an enemy these days. According to The Obama administration's instructions to the police in 2009 I am a likely terrorist because I'm a veteran, a gun owner, a Christian, and I have a libertarian/conservative political lean. They have turned the IRS into their own private thought police, shutting down PACs whose politics they don't approve of and ruthlessly persecuting public figures and officials who speak against their agenda. The seem to think it's perfectly ok to kill American citizens with drones with no judicial oversight or due process. Lets not even get into gun control and their stance on private property. They have made it their business who we call, who we e-mail, what books we read, what web sites we visit. They seem to think it is perfectly ok to compel private citizens to enter into contracts with a third party. Or resettle dangerous foreign nationals in communities without either permission or coordination with local governments or police. And speaking of police the Memphis police department has more heavy weapons, armored vehicles, and infantry gear than half the nations of South America and are not shy about using them. Thank you Barack Obama for that. Bear in mind that is the same police he said should be keeping an eye on me while ignoring the Muslim refugees who may or may not be Syrians (they don't really bother to check).

And of course if you bring up things like state sovereignty or the Constitution they laugh at you all while scribbling you name on a list for the IRS to check out later.

Of course most of that was started under the pervious administration and supported by a number of the GOP candidates so when it comes to enemies it seems we have no lack of those.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 months later...

Since religion has become such a touchy topic let's get back to something that doesn't draw strong feelings, something neutral, like politics

and since I missed this before

An Open Letter to the Wall Street Journal on Its Bernie Sanders Hit Piece

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Since religion has become such a touchy topic let's get back to something that doesn't draw strong feelings, something neutral, like politics

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Paddypower bookmakers still has Clinton as the heavy favorite to win the Presidency.

Hillary Clinton    - 8/11

Marco Rubio       - 7/2

Donald Trump     - 7/1

Ted Cruz           - 14/1

Jeb Bush           - 16/1

Bernie Sanders   - 18/1

Ben Carson        - 66/1

Carly Fiorina      - 80/1

Hibernian conspiracy? Aside from Trump at 7/1, those are pretty good money lines. I'd still take Clinton over the field. Bush isn't down and out yet, but I could conceivably take a flyer at a 16 to 1 value *bet.

*I wouldn't though since betting on U.S. elections in this country is highly illegal.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hibernian conspiracy?

Always.

6u6oHoQ.png

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Eh, do you want xenophobic plans that won't work, like building a wall on the Mexican border, or do you want idealistic plans that won't work?   :p

Careful, you are starting to sound libertarian. When a government can't be trusted to do anything right, doing nothing is the safest option!

Thomas Sowell

I'd call this plan idealistic if it owned up to massive sacrifices required.

But trying to sell enormous social and economic costs as benefits is something else entirely.

And it's a real shame as he was in the perfect position to speak some sense on climate change.

The 100% is the end goal

I do agree it's idealistic and am doubtful that even 80% renewable by 2050 (as Germany is shooting for) is doable but it seems like a worthy goal to aspire to

Right now we're somewhere around 13% 

PS my favorite comment about this so far

"The key is to stop funding the problem by subsidizing fossil fuels and instead accelerate our path to progress by showcasing our American innovation to accelerate the transition. This is important, because the support of the American people can make an enormous difference. In the 60’s, President Kennedy set a goal that many said was impossible – but by the end of that decade, Neil Armstrong had successfully taken his giant leap for humanity. Our government needs to think that big today and commit to prioritizing the transition to an economy powered by more than 80 percent clean energy sources by 2050."

Random internet guy - So what you're saying is we need Russia to start beating us in renewables (which they already do) then maybe we can achieve something

Edited by ShadySands

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-calls-for-total-and-complete-shutdown-of-muslims-entering-u-s/

Well good thing Trump's dead money at 7 to 1 right? Right?

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/donald-trump-calls-closing-internet-n476156

Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump has an idea for stopping ISIS from communicating online. He wants to close the Internet.

"We're losing a lot of people because of the Internet," Trump said Monday at a campaign rally in South Carolina.

"We have to go see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what's happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that Internet up in some way."

Trump literally makes my blood run cold. I seriously may sit out the election if he's nominated. The only thing I can say to my gloating Democrat friends who relish the idea of him getting the nomination is this... you might want him to run because you think he can't win, but be careful of whom you root for in the primary because he or she may become President.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I feel bad for the guys overseas, one candidate is worse than the other. If I had to make my vote I honestly could not even vote for the lesser evil. Don a demented clown, Hillary a dangerous self righteous fanatic.....

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Trump literally makes my blood run cold. I seriously may sit out the election if he's nominated. The only thing I can say to my gloating Democrat friends who relish the idea of him getting the nomination is this... you might want him to run because you think he can't win, but be careful of whom you root for in the primary because he or she may become President.

Unless the American voting majority goes full on bonkers, there's no way Trump wins the Presidency. A segment of Republican voters are already crazy, so him winning the nomination -although remote- is still very possible.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

I agree, I just don't see how Trump gets enough electoral votes to win.  Which leaves is with Clinton.  Which, despite all the hyperbole, is just going to be 4 more years of the same.  I'm not a fan and won't vote for her, but the world isn't going to end with her in office.

It just might with Trump.  :p

I agree, I just don't see how Trump gets enough electoral votes to win.  Which leaves is with Clinton.  Which, despite all the hyperbole, is just going to be 4 more years of the same.  I'm not a fan and won't vote for her, but the world isn't going to end with her in office.

It just might with Trump.   :p

It could be a happy end?  ;)

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Trump will crash the US with no survivors. He's got my vote for that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Seems to be the smoking gun that our government abandoned our people in Benghazi :

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/12/08/spinning-up-as-speak-email-shows-pentagon-was-ready-to-roll-as-benghazi-attack/

Benghazi committee says they had the e-mail, but they never asked Hilzilla about it. What's going on here exactly?​

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It just might with Trump.   :p

Trump will keep a large cadre of comedians and satirists well employed for his four year term. That will help the economy. :p

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."