Please make KOTOR 2 more stable

I was bored today, it was raining and theres was nothing to do. I noticed my cpoy of KOTOR on the shelf and decided i would play it through again.

Installatin was fine. It was all good. Had the latest offical nvidia drivers, the game worked fine the other 3 times i played it before, what could go wrong?

The game kept on freezing. I cound't play it. Instead of Malak on the main page there was his two little eyes floating in the air.

Devs please make KOTOR 2 stable and fuss free.

Hmmm, I had stability issues on my x-box with this game. Sometimes after playing it only a little bit the game would lag which was wierd cause it's made for xbox. The xbox is brand new cause I sold my other one and I just bought the game again because I let someone borrow it and they never gave it back

KotOR drove me crazy with stability issues. It tended to restart the computer when i loaded the main menu (90% of the time) and all my components were above recommended. The other 1 time out of 10 it ran smooth as silk.

Please, please make TSL (in the words of Craftsman) 'fuss free'.

Yeah KOTOR is my favorite game and it is also the buggiest game I ever played. Nothing to disheartening. I just save quick, save often. When it crashes just start it up again.

Oh and Darth Revok I feel you pain about your xbox. I call that the permanent borrow. Lets see here, I think my super nintendo and nintendo 64 are still out on permanent loan...

NEVER loan anything out unless you get something back of equal or preferably greater value to hold hostage.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I never had any technical difficulties with KOTOR using the latest patch, aside from some graphical issues that I was able to resolve by turning down some features and getting a certain version for my Radeon card.

It would crash occassionally when loading the different areas, but I saved often enough and it happened rarely enough that it wasn't really an issue.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I found Kotor to be relatively stable. It only crashes for me in two places (and thats reproducible :)), at two cutscenes on board the Leviathan. Apparantly it didn't like either the hires textures or the 1280x1024 resolution. Not sure if it was one or both, bot changing to low resolution when starting the cutscenes did the trick.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I was bored today, it was raining and theres was nothing to do. I noticed my cpoy of KOTOR on the shelf and decided i would play it through again.

Installatin was fine. It was all good. Had the latest offical nvidia drivers, the game worked fine the other 3 times i played it before, what could go wrong?

The game kept on freezing. I cound't play it. Instead of Malak on the main page there was his two little eyes floating in the air.

Devs please make KOTOR 2 stable and fuss free.

Thats like saying 'please make less people die in car crashes'. No matter how hard you try to stop the problems occuring, some are still gonna happen.

But yes i agree with you. I am one of the unlucky one to have a Radeon graphics card, so i know what u mean.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Ahh. But the devs have COMPLETE control on the input and output where car crashes nobody has complete control over.

That was just an example. What i am saying is that it is unlikely that (even as great as obsidian are) K2 will not be 100% bug free.

Beside arn't u up a bit early?

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Ahh. But the devs have COMPLETE control on the input and output where car crashes nobody has complete control over.

We don't have 100% control of the circumstances on the PC. KotOR1, for example has been plagued by ATI driver problems that started after the game came out. If you run the game with the November ATI drivers, it runs fine, but more recent ones will cause a lot of crashes. That isn't something that Bioware always has control over.

We've been working with ATI to get some of the driver problems with the Aurora graphics engine resolved. In fact, the latest ATI drivers that just came out have some changes in them that came about because of our graphics programmer, Jay Fong, reporting a problem and helping them get it fixed.

We all want a stable game and are doing what we can do to provide that. In the end, though, there are a lot of outside factors that we have less control over when it comes to the PC platform.

-Akari

Since you already replied Akari, can you tell us if the KotOR1 issues are ATI's fault or Bioware's? Or is it a little of both?

We found a few issues that were due to ATI's drivers. Crashers from alt+tabbing out in particular. Those should be fixed now as of the most recent ATI drivers. There was also a startup crash that was the result of an ATI driver bug. I believe we just coded around it for our fix, but I don't know for certain as that stuff is someone else's forte. :p

-Akari

Since you already replied Akari, can you tell us if the KotOR1 issues are ATI's fault or Bioware's? Or is it a little of both?

We found a few issues that were due to ATI's drivers. Crashers from alt+tabbing out in particular. Those should be fixed now as of the most recent ATI drivers. There was also a startup crash that was the result of an ATI driver bug. I believe we just coded around it for our fix, but I don't know for certain as that stuff is someone else's forte. :p

-Akari

My most common problem was crashing during transition between worlds. What was that due to?

When playing KotOR on the PC, it has a nice habit of eating up all my memory, almost every two hours the game crashes and i'm left getting messages from windows complaining that my memory isn't enough. (512mb RAM and 512mb as virtual ram).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I've also seen it eat memory quickly. I never got to the point of crashing, because invariably during a cutscene, it would start fast-forwarding like I was clicking on the mouse continually, when I wasn't. When that happened, I saved, and knew it was time to close it and restart it. I usually have to do that several times, depending on what else I'm doing and how much I alt-tab.

I just want to hear a more official comment on SP2 for XP. I'm HOPING it'll still work after that gets put on...