Seriously, I had a LOT after just the core game, and after blazing through part 1 of White March, I have, like, twenty five of them.

I appreciate all the chances the devs put in to learn all the various spells, especially the special ones like Concelhaut's Crushing Doom which SHOULD be earned, but that's still a lot of books!

fOkN5Ct.png

Anyone else have a similar experience in their wizarding?

• Like 6

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

So why don't you learn these spells and get rid of them?

I never found it worth the effort to hold on to them, since within a short fight, you only use a number of spells anyway.

It's generally not a good idea to sell your grimoires. Every time you retrain a wizard you forget every single spell you've learned, and you'll have to pay coppers to relearn them from those grimoires. So if you're not careful and sold the wrong ones you end up unable to relearn some spells.

We've pointed out the absurdity of this design before; since there's no reason to unlearn wizard spells whatsoever, not to mention charging for spells you already paid for. But the devs insisted on it. Wouldn't even discuss why. Probably laziness.

Edited by LaSpeakeasi
  • Like 1

I never found it worth the effort to hold on to them, since within a short fight, you only use a number of spells anyway.

It's generally not a good idea to sell your grimoires. Every time you retrain a wizard you forget every single spell you've learned, and you'll have to pay coppers to relearn them from those grimoires. So if you're not careful and sold the wrong ones you end up unable to relearn some spells.

We've pointed out the absurdity of this design before; since there's no reason to unlearn wizard spells whatsoever, not to mention charging for spells you already paid for. But the devs insisted on it. Wouldn't even discuss why. Probably laziness.

Baaaaasically. I gotta hang on to all of these so that in the event I bork myself over buildwise, I don't have to choose between "better build" and "90% of the spells you've learned throughout the game"

You just wanted a chance to share your 9gag picture, didn't you.

Shhhhhhhh! :ninja:

Edited by globalCooldown

qKz5nVP.png

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

Interesting. Before WM there was no reason to keep grimoires you weren't using - you just had to learn and sell. (And anyway, you don't really need to learn all of those spells.) But yeah, it's silly now to pay twice for the same spell.

I'm not sure what you're on about with 'unlearning' spells, though. There's no reason whatsoever to 'unlearn', respec or not, since a single grimoire can load on 4 spells from all that you've learned. 

It'd be interesting to know how many people actively change grimoires for combat? I find that 4 spells is usually sufficient for most cases, and even a triple crown wizard can get by most situations without switching. It's a pity, because I like the idea of grimoires.

• Like 1

Interesting. Before WM there was no reason to keep grimoires you weren't using - you just had to learn and sell. (And anyway, you don't really need to learn all of those spells.) But yeah, it's silly now to pay twice for the same spell.

I'm not sure what you're on about with 'unlearning' spells, though. There's no reason whatsoever to 'unlearn', respec or not, since a single grimoire can load on 4 spells from all that you've learned. 

It'd be interesting to know how many people actively change grimoires for combat? I find that 4 spells is usually sufficient for most cases, and even a triple crown wizard can get by most situations without switching. It's a pity, because I like the idea of grimoires.

This is probably not a bad idea until they change the relearning "feature". Keep 4 spare grimoires that hold all the spells and get rid of the rest.

As to the OP: Very good gif. Love it :biggrin:

And it may not be respeccing you want them for. You might be inclined to create a full Wizard party, or some other such inventive strategy that requires making more Wizards.

Even now I'm kinda wondering whether it's possible to make such a party where all Wizards cast the same spell once per combat, but a different spell per combat, in a test to see if you can clear out an entire dungeon without having to rest once (so in effect, choose one spell per fight that all your Wizards try to wipe out the entire group with with one cast each, then rule a line through that spell and move on to the next mob. Only rest is back at the inn!). :yes:

You might be inclined to create a full Wizard party, or some other such inventive strategy that requires making more Wizards.

Even now I'm kinda wondering whether it's possible to make such a party where all Wizards cast the same spell once per combat, but a different spell per combat, in a test to see if you can clear out an entire dungeon without having to rest once (so in effect, choose one spell per fight that all your Wizards try to wipe out the entire group with with one cast each, then rule a line through that spell and move on to the next mob. Only rest is back at the inn!). yes.gif

Actually, this sounds really fun. I might try that with a wizard Watcher sometime!

• Like 1

qKz5nVP.png

Oh I just mean that wiping (unlearning) spells make sense for other casters but not for wizards. Like, if a cipher needs to learn a new spell when retraining she needs to get rid of an old one to make room. With wiz there's no limitation on how many you can learn anyway.