Unable to load saved games after 2.01 patch

swooshman1

Question

So I haven't been able to play Pillars/White March AT ALL since updating to the lates patch. When I go to the main screen, the Continue and Load buttons are greyed out. I tried uninstalling and re-installing; didn't fix it. I tried what another user suggested: to delete the obsidian folders in 'low data' and the temp folder, run as admin, save, save, repeat...... Didn't work.

I got the game from GOG. I even tried repairing the game with Gog Galaxy: didn't work either.

I even tried removing all the save game files, then started a new game and saved it. When I tried to load it, the buttons were greyed out again.

I have no idea how to fix this. How does something get corrupted anyways? Things were fine until the new patch!

There is no point attaching a save file since that wont help with my issue.

The game will run as an admin, but things are buggy/laggy. And I can barely scroll from side to side.

Anyone else still having this problem? When is this gonna get fixed!  (At least the pink screens are gone)

11 answers to this question

This happened to me one time after patch 2.01, with the continue & load buttons greyed out. I exited the game, restarted and everything was fine, I could use the load and/or continue buttons. Since it only happened once to me, I put it down to a glitch in Windows 7. Never happened again, and its been about 7-10 days.

So I haven't been able to play Pillars/White March AT ALL since updating to the lates patch. When I go to the main screen, the Continue and Load buttons are greyed out. I tried uninstalling and re-installing; didn't fix it. I tried what another user suggested: to delete the obsidian folders in 'low data' and the temp folder, run as admin, save, save, repeat...... Didn't work.

I got the game from GOG. I even tried repairing the game with Gog Galaxy: didn't work either.

I even tried removing all the save game files, then started a new game and saved it. When I tried to load it, the buttons were greyed out again.

I have no idea how to fix this. How does something get corrupted anyways? Things were fine until the new patch!

There is no point attaching a save file since that wont help with my issue.

The game will run as an admin, but things are buggy/laggy. And I can barely scroll from side to side.

Anyone else still having this problem? When is this gonna get fixed!  (At least the pink screens are gone)

I have a similar issue with the load and continue buttons being greyed out.  I'll be playing fine but if i exit and restart the game same issue.  I found the work around in another thread and have used it.  Deleting the obsidian folder in the locallow and local directories under users.  I never finished the game before the DLC came out and started a new character and game to play all the way through.  I was hoping to find if their is a fix in the works for this or I may be putting the gam eon the shelf till its fixed.

Thanks

The problem isn't that a specific save game file won't load.  Either no files can load because the option is grayed out or all files can load. None of the posted fixes, which sometimes work in my experience, involve removing or avoiding specific same game files.  They involve removing the Obsidian folder in locallow (or local, which I've never seen on my Windows 7 machine).

This makes it unlikely that uploading a save game will help you debug this.  I'll still be happy to do so it you want my latest one.  As for the output log, where do I find it?

Hey everyone,

Please check this folder and see if there is an additional folder within the CurrentGame folder. There shouldn't be one, so if there is, please delete that folder and try loading your saves again.

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\CurrentGame\

Hello again GreenRage,

I'm not sure if you have tried these options, Close out the steam client completely and run it as an Administrator. Do you have Steam Cloud enabled? Disable that and see if that works as well.

Here is a thread from quite awhile ago with the same issue. It may have some insight on the issue as some users were able to solve it. 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72216-saved-games-disappear/

Thank you for your support and patience. 

I had the same issue after moving my personal profile from D: drive (harddisk) to C: drive (ssd).

No load or save possible.

I had to create a special account to play PoE with the profile on the harddisk again:

This is how you do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87555-user-profile-change-default-location.html

Solved all save / load issues.

Looks like there is a timing issue in the routines to find the savegame folder.