Siege of Crägholdt - peacefull way?

There IS a cave you can get into by sneaking by them that opens out into Cragholdt proper. There's a switch inside the keep to open it; not sure if it's openable from the outside.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

To be fair, the mercs ARE brutal. For me personally, it was because entire groups of them would wander into a fight already in progress and decide to jump in.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

And you get one if you're with House Doemonel too. Again, you still have to fight.

I didn't like this area at all. Don't get me wrong, having a few of these encounters here and there in the game would be fantastic. I loved the increase in difficulty and that the enemies seem to really use abilities actively. But it really feels like a high level area thrown together for the sake of it. It just doesn't fit in very well.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Killed Dragon - check

House Doemenel - check

Still, no additional dialogue, assuming you mean the merc commander.

The House Doemenel dialogue option is at the beginning with the two dudes who engage you in conversation when you enter the map. Doesn't change anything.

i liked the fact that you can mention it you killed a dragon or have achieved other things and they consider it, but why should they let you pass ?

They know they can not trust you and they like to get the artifact for themselves.

So iam ok that i can not talk them go away and yes they are very tough fights but i learned a lot fighting them. Now only the Mage tower is waitin for me yeah...

i liked the fact that you can mention it you killed a dragon or have achieved other things and they consider it, but why should they let you pass ?

They know they can not trust you and they like to get the artifact for themselves.

So iam ok that i can not talk them go away and yes they are very tough fights but i learned a lot fighting them. Now only the Mage tower is waitin for me yeah...

It would be nice if at least one or two had second thoughts and legged it, depending on the conversation. Just like the dragon egg guys, depending on you speech check, If for no other reasons then for some role playing.

I've been enjoying the area a lot :) still have the beat the C. guy senseless but the fights with the mercenaries were a lot of fun for me.

Besides, it would be epic if part II expanded on this plot and we discovered who hired the mercenaries etc. In fact,

Josh said that extra stronghold content is a focus for him for part II and in part I you seize something that someone else wants so bad they sieged a stronghold to get it. So... ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I've been enjoying the area a lot :) still have the beat the C. guy senseless but the fights with the mercenaries were a lot of fun for me.

Besides, it would be epic if part II expanded on this plot and we discovered who hired the mercenaries etc. In fact,

Josh said that extra stronghold content is a focus for him for part II and in part I you seize something that someone else wants so bad they sieged a stronghold to get it. So... ;)

On a side note - what was your level and your group comp when first moving to Crägholdt?

On a side note - what was your level and your group comp when first moving to Crägholdt?

Level 14, playing on PotD with a fully custom party armed to the teeth :)

Although, despite having all of the following available in good supply, I used exactly none of them when fighting the mercenaries:

• Scroll of Valor
  • Scroll of Paralysis
  • Scroll of Restore Critical Stamina
  • Potion of Major Endurance
  • Flask of War Paint
  • Summons (either via spell or via figurine)

They simply were not necessary :)

My party composition is as follows:

• Lady of Pain
  • Fighter (same build as LoP but different equipment and, of course, no protagonist-only talents)
  • Cipher
  • Wizard
  • Druid
  • Priest

I think I still have a saved game with most mercenaries still hiding in the FoW if you'd like to experience some wanton murder ;)

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I went there with a level 9 party. Got through most of the enemy groups below the ramps, but got wasted by the ones stationed on higher ground. Cleaned up at level 11. All on normal difficulty, with player/Paladin, Devil, Zohua, Durance, Eder and Aloth. But it explains why I still have no chance against Cancelhaut or whatever is left of him.

I usually played on hard difficulty, but I want to at least finish one playthrough on normal to learn the new mechanics.

But it explains why I still have no chance against Cancelhaut or whatever is left of him.

I found that going all-in on him was a terrible strategy. I pretty much had to lure everyone to my party and funnel them through the door in order to stand a chance; too many spells hitting my party too often otherwise.

Concelhaut's loot is pretty epic, though.

• Like 3

I did the same thing on my very first play through: divide and conquer! It was a level 12 party with a fighter as main. With a level 14 party, a rogue as main and a much better party composition it was a piece of cake. I gave them a taste of their own medicine: AOE the hell out of 'em.

I haven't done it yet (though I probably will have to at some point, just to get the hidden Durgan bars).  I went there with my level 14 party, tried to talk my way through, didn't work.  Left, and thought I'd try sneaking my way around to see if there was some other way to handle this.  Found the cave, got through it (hard fight too....) and then found out there wasn't any way to open the damn "door" - that was before I did any reading around about all this, which of course would have saved me the bother.

Reloaded a save prior, and just won't mess with it.  I don't WANT a "high level" setup best done at level 14 (which means no xp for it at all) that's nothing but merc killing.  If they ever show up at Caed Nua, I'll deal with it then.  What I want is other ways to handle things, like "peacefully", "diplomatically", or "sneakily".

Reloaded a save prior, and just won't mess with it.  I don't WANT a "high level" setup best done at level 14 (which means no xp for it at all) that's nothing but merc killing.  If they ever show up at Caed Nua, I'll deal with it then.  What I want is other ways to handle things, like "peacefully", "diplomatically", or "sneakily".

That's why I did it at level 9 and 11. It was doable, but very tough. The loot however is totally worth the effort. There's loads of superb equipment they drop.

That's why I did it at level 9 and 11. It was doable, but very tough. The loot however is totally worth the effort. There's loads of superb equipment they drop.

I considered it - but then you run out of xp "room" before you finish the main quest line and/or White March.  Hmm.  I wonder if WM 2 adds a couple more levels, like WM 1 did.