Perfect Setting for POE 2

I care not a whit for the Vailian Republics. They bore me. I'd rather see something set in the Deadfire Archipelago.

This is what I was thinking. Rauatai and the Deadfire area. Lots of gunpowder, pirates, ships and high seas! Would love to see sailing incorporated with fishing and sea monsters. A pirate theme I guess, like they did with the Neverwinter Nights DLC Pirates of the Sword Coast. 

I'd like to see the Republics as well, but it's reminding me of Val Royeaux with the big city and politics. Just did that with DAI.

I like pirates.  But the more I read and look into the Deadfire Archipelago the more I realise it is NOT a pirate setting: the biggest "nation" there is apparently Nausitaaq, Sagani's people, who are clearly not pirates.  Rauatai seems more China than pirate, Vailian Republics I realise is the nation most likely to have privateers and 'gentlemen of fortune'.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I agree with the OP - Vailia seems like an interesting next stop. I think it would be especially cool to see a city done in truly expansive detail, comprising 15+ areas and most or all of the locations in the game.

I don't understand the desire to visit Readceras. Isn't it basically described as a nation of crap farmers?

hah, the more I think about it, ti would be actually funny, if you would be a captain of a ship and the ship would be your stronghold, while you would travel to some port cities for hub areas that would then lead to some other inland maps.

That actually sounds like a really cool idea. It would provide a rational basis for a lot of Stronghold activities seen in PoE.

Either Vallia or Oriental inspired region.

Oriental? What is this, 1840? Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

hah, the more I think about it, ti would be actually funny, if you would be a captain of a ship and the ship would be your stronghold, while you would travel to some port cities for hub areas that would then lead to some other inland maps.

I've been thinking about this too, suggest this whenever mention of potential pirate RPG comes up but would work for a lot of RPGs I think.  Making it a ship prevents it from just falling to the wayside when the characters move on and improving it can improve adventuring stuff.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

I care not a whit for the Vailian Republics. They bore me. I'd rather see something set in the Deadfire Archipelago.

This is what I was thinking. Rauatai and the Deadfire area. Lots of gunpowder, pirates, ships and high seas! Would love to see sailing incorporated with fishing and sea monsters. A pirate theme I guess, like they did with the Neverwinter Nights DLC Pirates of the Sword Coast. 

I'd like to see the Republics as well, but it's reminding me of Val Royeaux with the big city and politics. Just did that with DAI.

I like pirates.  But the more I read and look into the Deadfire Archipelago the more I realise it is NOT a pirate setting: the biggest "nation" there is apparently Nausitaaq, Sagani's people, who are clearly not pirates.  Rauatai seems more China than pirate, Vailian Republics I realise is the nation most likely to have privateers and 'gentlemen of fortune'.

I see Rauatai as more like the South Pacific cultures before the Europeans arrived.  At least that's how it comes across to me.  I'm not sure I've run across anything yet which would remind me of Oriental cultures at all.

Edited by Oralaina

I've never had a fancy for pirates, but I think I'd really enjoy a sequel set on a ship, traveling between countries and getting the option to develop as a commercial vessel, a maritime war-machine, or a pillaging pirate. It makes so much story sense, to deal with international political intrigue, never have to explain why the main character isn't a local while introducing all the local lore, and so much opportunity for home building and various on-ship antics and events. I'd also be relieved to have multiple places to embark the ship from shore so that it wasn't always a 24+ hour trip to home.

I'd be surprised if one of the Bioware titles or other major fantasy RPG franchises didn't snap this setting up soon.

Readceras used to be a nation of mostly crap farmers, before Waidwen. Now it's a highly militarised theocracy.

I'd love to see Readceras too, but since its a former Aedyran colony, won't it be too similar to the Dyrwood, and just more of the same, with a theocratic bent? 

Readceras used to be a nation of mostly crap farmers, before Waidwen. Now it's a highly militarised theocracy.

I'd love to see Readceras too, but since its a former Aedyran colony, won't it be too similar to the Dyrwood, and just more of the same, with a theocratic bent? 

Nope, they have caste system (similiar to ancient India), slavery, prohibited animancy and 'one true faith above others (quasi-monotheism)'. Their culture is some mix between Aedyran and Ixamitlan, although more similar to Aedyran society (very conservative, religious and highly collective). It's nice counterbalance to Dyrwoodan nation.

Edited by White Phoenix

The problem with that is what would a highly militarised society need with adventurers?  There would be other ways to have adventures, such as working for the military or rebel forces but it would have a very different taste and freedom of choice from normal adventures.

I'd also prefer Rauatai, though I may have a totally wrong impression about that nation. Having only Kana as source of information, who reminded me a lot on Twoflower, I'd assumed Rauatai to be Pillars version of China. So this would be interesting to see as a location in a western RPG. But probably I am totally wrong and it is a completely different place. Might still be fun to explore, based on what Kana told about it.

I'd also prefer Rauatai, though I may have a totally wrong impression about that nation. Having only Kana as source of information, who reminded me a lot on Twoflower, I'd assumed Rauatai to be Pillars version of China. So this would be interesting to see as a location in a western RPG. But probably I am totally wrong and it is a completely different place. Might still be fun to explore, based on what Kana told about it.

Personally the Aumau to me look Pacific Islander and have that feel.

Have gun will travel.

I definitely think Ixamitl will be cool.  How Aztec it is I do not know the people definitely are but I am quite (maybe I am wrong) that mexico has very little to no savannas.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

I definitely think Ixamitl will be cool.  How Aztec it is I do not know the people definitely are but I am quite (maybe I am wrong) that mexico has very little to no savannas.

200px-Southernsemiaridhighlands1.gif

I actually researched a climate map of mexico, because your post made me wonder if Mexico actually does have Savannas.  The answer is that it has a ton of dry grassy areas with a serious risk of fire, but it seems like few of them are flat.

ftp://ftp.epa.gov/wed/ecoregions/cec_na/NA_LEVEL_I.pdf

You could very well be right about that, I don't know. What are you reading that has you saying the Deadfire isn't a pirate setting? I'm under that impression just because of my char origin from there and the raider occupation available to it.  Also the Deadfire lore book found in game does mention pirate infested islands.

More interested in Living Lands.

But I have nothing against Vailian Cloak & Dagger campaign with lots of cutthtroat politics.

If Vailian Pallegina could be an interesting link. If Ixamitl then Zahua. Preferably none and we get new and improved companions with a lot more interaction.

TBH POE lacked situations that you have to pay consequences for your decisions. In BG2 depending on who you had in party some quests could turn out differently depending wheter they were good or evil and what you did. I think this should return to make the game and especially characters more believable.

Edited by Killyox

No love for ixamitl? :'(

I'd like to see more of ixamitl!

I mean, come on, when is the last time you've seen an aztec inspired setting?

Yeah, linguistics aside, Ixamitl's lore doesn't give me much of an Aztec vibe. It sems more like the mystical land of frolicking naked nymphs, where your every desire is granted by bald blubbering bugbears.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

200px-Southernsemiaridhighlands1.gif

I actually researched a climate map of mexico, because your post made me wonder if Mexico actually does have Savannas.  The answer is that it has a ton of dry grassy areas with a serious risk of fire, but it seems like few of them are flat.

ftp://ftp.epa.gov/wed/ecoregions/cec_na/NA_LEVEL_I.pdf

hah I need to study more Geography then!

Have gun will travel.

• 4 weeks later...

Vailia please, single player rpgs have never done a location where the people are primarily of color.  And the Vailian politics as well as their history of the world would be great. I'd also love for their to be an expansion in their homelands in the south.

Hell I'd love POE2 to be in their old kingdoms in the islands!

Edited by Ultimo Noressi

Lorenzzo Medicci

"Come Vailia , vino ottiene solo

migliorare con il tempo . Perché il suo

modo Vailiano !"

I think if they continue to follow the formula of the infinity engine games Readceras  could make some sense. Throughout BG1 they alluded to the war between Balurs Gate and Amn, (Hello Lord Forshadow!) then moved on down to Amn for Baldurs Gate 2. With the Saints War so heavily featured in PoE, maybe looking at the fallout of that war in Readceras is next. 

I hope not though, The Vailian Republics sounded very intriguing to me, and its proximity could keep Glanfathan culture still heavily in the mix.

• Like 1