Perfect Setting for POE 2

What do you guys think of a Vailian City state as the setting of POE? I think this is perfect for a few reasons: 

1. It mirrors the shift from Sword Coast to Athkatla - rolling hills and forests to a Mediterranean mercantile city state. No need for two 'big cities' this time - just one massive city divided by scheming houses, condotierri, slavers and pirates, just like Athkatla! 

2. Animancy is more advanced and more accepted there, which means Obsidian can go crazy with encounter diversity, world building, creatures and concepts. 

3. No more Engwithan ruins = hopefully greater dungeon diversity. Man do I have Engwithan fatigue, as much as I love those cats. 

4. An atypical fantasy setting, and arguably one of the first settings in a video game where coloured people are the majority. A win against a stagnant set of genre stereotypes and a win for diversity!

• Like 9

What do you guys think of a Vailian City state as the setting of POE? I think this is perfect for a few reasons: 

1. It mirrors the shift from Sword Coast to Athkatla - rolling hills and forests to a Mediterranean mercantile city state. No need for two 'big cities' this time - just one massive city divided by scheming houses, condotierri, slavers and pirates, just like Athkatla! 

2. Animancy is more advanced and more accepted there, which means Obsidian can go crazy with encounter diversity, world building, creatures and concepts. 

3. No more Engwithan ruins = hopefully greater dungeon diversity. Man do I have Engwithan fatigue, as much as I love those cats. 

4. An atypical fantasy setting, and arguably one of the first settings in a video game where coloured people are the majority. A win against a stagnant set of genre stereotypes and a win for diversity!

I do think the Vailian Republics would be a good way to go.  I second this, as I think the gunpowder weapons and later medieval/early renaissance aspects of Pillars help to differentiate it and interest people, and so should be emphasised more.  I also find the idea of working for a condottier company picking up quests and expanding the company a la Storm of Zehir and the company in that interesting and a good way to bring more quests to the player's attention without having to resort to the "And then some random guy on the street asks you for help".  You get told instead "We have a client asking for help" with possibilities to imply different style of quests such as saying "We have a client who needs someone discreet, go speak to them if that interests you, but if not we also have a client looking for someone good at smashing skulls and intimidation".

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I agree. Vailian Republics are the next step. What we know of the Eastern Reach's geography is what we see in the map, and it shows completely the Vaillian Republics region. We know some lore of the Vaillian region, and I think that a sequel here would attract the players more than a new undiscovered region (this better for a PoE 3).

It would be great to see the entire continen of the Eastern Reach.

Another interesting place would be the Penitential Regency of Readceras ;D

• Like 5

I agree. Vailian Republics are the next step. What we know of the Eastern Reach's geography is what we see in the map, and it shows completely the Vaillian Republics region. We know some lore of the Vaillian region, and I think that a sequel here would attract the players more than a new undiscovered region (this better for a PoE 3).

It would be great to see the entire continen of the Eastern Reach.

Another interesting place would be the Penitential Regency of Readceras ;D

Yep, if I recall Athkatla was mentioned a lot in Baldur's Gate 1 before becoming the setting in BG2, and was even the main 'rival' in BG1 to Baldur's Gate itself and throwing a ruckus due to the iron crisis, so it fits with how both the Vailian Republics (who try to screw the Dyrwood over during Pallegina's questline tradewise) and Readceras (who attempted to invade the Dyrwood prior to the game start and still have it's impact felt) was portrayed in the game.  Could see a game set in Readceras dealing with Eothas easily.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'd rather go to Rauatai or Readceras. Then again, I could go anywhere in ths seting since I like it very much.

Readceras would be awesome, but probably too similar to Dyrwood. 

I would really love to see a spin-off game ala Icewind Dale set in Rauatai. I feel like it might be a little too alien for a sequel just yet. But, like you, I'd be happy to set it anywhere, I love the setting. 

Ixamitl with all of its malcachoa-ingesting goodness would be amazing too

Edited by Grimo88

I think Valia would be a great place for a sequel.  Big cities, lots of content (though they should work on some barks for the cities), and a trade hub means all kinds of possibilities.  Also, the politics of the five kingdoms could lead to a cool plot.

But I also would really, really like a world or large area map before ruling anywhere out.  Something about the geography of Eora seems a bit off.

Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 1

I care not a whit for the Vailian Republics. They bore me. I'd rather see something set in the Deadfire Archipelago.

This is what I was thinking. Rauatai and the Deadfire area. Lots of gunpowder, pirates, ships and high seas! Would love to see sailing incorporated with fishing and sea monsters. A pirate theme I guess, like they did with the Neverwinter Nights DLC Pirates of the Sword Coast. 

I'd like to see the Republics as well, but it's reminding me of Val Royeaux with the big city and politics. Just did that with DAI.

• Like 1

Gosh, I can't think of anything more boring than another piraty setting with lots of boring water and boring, tropical islands and random "arrrrs" and "hoist the sails, ye lads". Nu-uh. Go and play those sh**** Risen Games, there you have them Pirates. Yo-Ho.

This.

• Like 1

Perhaps more of a Knights of Malta vs Barbary Pirates and Sir Francis Drake on the Spanish Main type pirate aesthetic.

Maltese-Galley-300x160.jpg

Turkish-Slave-Galley-300x190.jpg

220px-Malta_Knights.jpg

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I prefer Readceras than Vailian Republics. I don't think Obsidian would give us some countries not in Eastern Reach. Although they said in interview they are thinking about more exotic places (Aedyr Empire, Ixamitl?) comparing it to Athkatla. But Vailian Republics seem to be more logical choice due to Leaden Key actions, they appear in places with animancy stuff (if not prohibited). And no pirates please, I hate them.

Edited by White Phoenix

Gosh, I can't think of anything more boring than another piraty setting with lots of boring water and boring, tropical islands and random "arrrrs" and "hoist the sails, ye lads". Nu-uh. Go and play those sh**** Risen Games, there you have them Pirates. Yo-Ho.

I'm pretty sure the writers at Obsidian are capable of creating a coastal city where not every NPC talks like a pirate.

Yeah no, I haven't played any ****ty pirate games lately, so I guess that's what I'm itching for. Although I have faith in Obsidian to do it right so it wouldn't be so ****ty.   :skull:

• Like 1

Risen 2 was just plain fun.  It was gleefully designed for all kinds of mischief that I enjoyed.  It was janky as heck and the geography of in-game terrain has suffered ever since they stopped making clay models.  But all in all it was quite diverting.

Just to clarify—I wasn't saying the Risen games were ****ty, I haven't played them. Eisenheinrich did.  Sounds like I might like them, should give it a go someday.

Yeah no, I haven't played any ****ty pirate games lately, so I guess that's what I'm itching for. Although I have faith in Obsidian to do it right so it wouldn't be so ****ty.   :skull:

Of course it wouldn't be. Obsidian isn't Piranha Bytes and Pillars isn't an action game. I'd rather have fun being a pirate, fighting sea monsters, etc. than deal with politics and business building, etc. This is a video game, not Government Economics 101.