White Forge Locked Door (one with the dial)

Just a quick question, one that I'm more than a little desperate to get answered.  In Durgan's Battery, in the mines, you eventually come across a door with four pillars with text on them nearby and a dial nearby.  The dial can be turned clockwise, counter clockwise, or pushed. 

How do you solve this puzzle?!  I've been trying to solve it for two days now!  And I cannot find so much of a whisper of it anywhere on the net.  The absolutely closest I can think of is that each pillar's text has a direction, but seems a little out of order.  I figured inputting the directions in order then push the dial would solve the puzzle, but obviously I'm doing something wrong because that doesn't do anything for me. 

Help! As I mentioned, more than a little desperate by this point!

It took me a few goes to work it out. This should probably be in a different section. This is how to work it out, not the answer:

First you have to put the four lines in order.
Then you need to turn the dial to each direction in order and to press the dial after each direction. If you do it correctly you'll get a message after each press.
It doesn't seem to matter if you turn it clockwise or anticlockwise.

Your fun is wrong.

I might have missed something while steamrolling the dungeon ... but

Which lines should be put in which order, again?

I opened that door by moving the dial at random until I got it to open, and that was rather obnoxious. I thought, "There must be clues somewhere." but as I steamrolled, I probably missed them.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Moved to spoiler section...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I might have missed something while steamrolling the dungeon ... but

next to that door there are four pillars each with descriptive text that includes a compass direction. When you put these four lines in the correct order it gives you the combination for the door lock.

Your fun is wrong.

There were clues? :cat:

I tried the cardinal directions one at a time and noticed that I got feedback when I got the right direction and a reset when not, which meant it had to be a sequence. Since I got immediate feedback both on right and wrong choices, it meant that for a sequence n steps long, rather facing 4^n complexity I was facing at worst a complexity of 4n, which meant around 2 tries per step to find the combination. Since games rarely rely on players memorizing combinations longer than 4 or 5 numbers, there was a reasonable change that it would be solved in at most 10 attempts. And much less if there was no reuse of directions, with a maximum length of 4 in that case. Both cases seemed likely to take much less time than examining the already explored areas for clues I had missed, so I did it, only limited in my speed of entering combinations by the speed of the game showing the choose-your-path screens, and it was quickly solved.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

The "clues" don't need much seeking, it's the 4 plaques with the invesigating tool *right next to the door*.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The "clues" don't need much seeking, it's the 4 plaques with the invesigating tool *right next to the door*.

Be that as it may, I didn't know that when I was at the door and had to make my decision between attempting to solve it by logic and persistence and solving it by hunting for clues. And you don't see anything highlighted with the investigation tool while engaging in the CYOW sequence with the door. :biggrin:

Yes they do. Tab shows up all 4 magnifier glasses right next to the door... the "clues"...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Yes they do. Tab shows up all 4 magnifier glasses right next to the door... the "clues"...

Not at the point in time when I said they didn't, they don't. All I said was that they don't show up when you are interacting with the door and getting the choose your own adventure type interface. (And they shouldn't. It is a completely separate interface designed to pick you out of the action.) I am perfectly aware that, under other circumstances, were I to have examined the surroundings before engaging with the door, I would have been aware of them and factored their existence into my decision.

EDIT: Anyhow, a digression. The original question has been answered and, to nobody's particular surprise, I am sure, different people approach the game in different ways. :yes:

Edited by pi2repsion

Or if you don't know the answer click 'exit puzzle', read the hints, then solve the puzzle?

It's not like you're locked into that screen with no way out till you resolve it.

^

Or if you don't know the answer click 'exit puzzle', read the hints, then solve the puzzle?

It's not like you're locked into that screen with no way out till you resolve it.

And I am not claiming that you are so locked.

If somebody is reading this looking to solve the problem, your advice is good.

It is, however, irrelevant to what I described, and what you have been responding to the last few posts, which was how I solved it based on the circumstances I was in, where I didn't know there were clues next to the door because I hadn't noticed them, and thus logically didn't have "exit, read the hints next to the door, solve the puzzle vs. brute force" as the choice, but "exit, try to find out if there are hints somewhere, then return vs. brute force". I thought that sharing some of the methodology and thoughts I used for brute force solving this particular simple problem, which I used because it was the rational approach in the situation I was in given the knowledge I had at the time, might be useful for other players in similar situation.

Games, and CRPGs in particular, are full of combination problems and not all come with exhaustive or readily available hints, and knowing how to proceed if they are types amenable to brute force solutions rather than being stumped and dependent on hints or reading answers on the internet is a valuable gaming skill.