Suggestion: Auto-eat food and resting

My experience with the game was playing first time expert-hard mode to completion but reopened an old save and started playing through whitemarch. As a side-note the AI addition for player characters was great.

I'd prefer if we could connect the meals we can buy with the rest command. Normally before I go on a big adventure I rest at the inn (assuming I'm getting a good meal there) but eventually I'll have to rest again mid-adventure and that is when food should be usable or important but to be honest it is annoying having to manually do this.

A suggested solution is to allow each character to buy up to the number of rests in meals. So my thought would be to have an additional inventory slot for food where it is auto-consumed upon hitting rest button to get a bonus and lasts say until next rest. Also add an auto-buy function so when we slot the meal put a check-box or something to auto-buy at next store if available.

Edited by Xelos
  • Like 1

How about having each meal cost 6 times as many resources, but be consumed automatically upon camping in the wild and then giving the appropriate bonus (these may have to be tweaked some, of course) until the next rest? The way they work now the countdown timer kinda stresses me out a bit, like I have to hurry up and get things done before it expires to get the most out of it.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of losing the duration and making meal-bonuses quasi-permanent.

However - what about a new crafting option, that lets you combine several meals to 5-or-6-course-menus, that can be consumed with one or to clicks? This way they keep their restrictions but we lose much hassle consuming them.

With certain characters I often use the same food combination over and aver again. You're absolutely right, that this is not particularly enjoyable. But if I could have, for example, at the beginning at stack of cookie-cake-and-ale-menus, that would make it much easier.

Edited by Wozzeck

Generally speaking I am against most "auto" suggestions and this is no exception :)

It doesn't seem to me as if the consumables were designed to become semi permanent auto-increases and IMO that is why they come with short durations and often with downsides once they wear off - I suspect the annoyance factor of using them constantly may have been a "feature" designed to limit their abuse and if so I support that. :p

That's my two coppers anyway.  8)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Auto-use? Auto-purchase? Then it's effectively just a semi-permanant resource-draining stat boost. Like a cursed magic item that gives you a +2 to strength but destroys 300 gold a day--in a word, ****ty. If that was in the game, I'd just wonder why they didn't just get rid of it and boost your overall stats instead of having a constant drain on your resources--it would annoy me endlessly.

Generally speaking I am against most "auto" suggestions and this is no exception :)

It doesn't seem to me as if the consumables were designed to become semi permanent auto-increases and IMO that is why they come with short durations and often with downsides once they wear off - I suspect the annoyance factor of using them constantly may have been a "feature" designed to limit their abuse and if so I support that. :p

I don't manage "food" at all, don't give it a second thought, actually...resting/camping restores 100% of health.  I choose bonuses from the Inns I frequent overnight.   It's possible that I might use a bit of food--if I happen to have some--in the heat of a battle for a near-dead character who has run out of potions--but I pretty much use health support from my Priest for 99% of my in-battle rejuvenation.   I've always seen food in the game as entirely optional...and I opt out... ;)

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

I don't manage "food" at all, don't give it a second thought, actually...resting/camping restores 100% of health.  I choose bonuses from the Inns I frequent overnight.   It's possible that I might use a bit of food--if I happen to have some--in the heat of a battle for a near-dead character who has run out of potions--but I pretty much use health support from my Priest for 99% of my in-battle rejuvenation.   I've always seen food in the game as entirely optional...and I opt out... ;)

Ditto for my playstyle - if you took all the food I've used since PoE released it would probably not feed a family of four for a weekend :p

I do understand that others may do so though hence dropping my two coppers about using an IV as a replacement whenever I sleep in the wild. :)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...