Why can't this game use 4K resolution? Why are load times still so slow?

SparocheeDoom

Question

First of all, when a game runs in fullscreen mode and DSR custom resolutions are available for selection, selecting those custom DSR resolutions should actually make the game use them!!! This game does NOT work that way. It will only use 4K resolution Desktop is set to 4K resolution. Why is that??? It does so in FullScreen mode and Windowed Borderless mode. I complained about this maybe 3-4 times and developers just ignore it! When my desktop is set to 1080p and DSR custom 4K resolution is listed in NVidia CP, PoE Graphics Settings ALSO list 4K resolution. However, seleting that 4K resolution and pressing apply does NOT result in PoE using that 4K resolution! Why not? It isn't normal. I have a high mid-range PC with 3770K @ 4800Mhz, 16GB 2200Mhz RAM, GTX 980, 256GB SSD, and Windows 10. I CAN play this game @ 4K resolution and maintain 60fps. I end up forcing my desktop to use 4K DSR resolution to make PoE use that 4K DSR resolution. However, that is very annoying because my desktop is very hard to use with 4K DSR resolution since my display's native resolution is 1080p.

I have the latest 2.01 patch for both - the original game and  The White March. Saving the game is now much quicker than in version 2.0, but load times still take quite some time, even on SSD. In fact, load times on SSD are only about 1-2 seconds shorter than load times on my 2TB Western Digital HDD. This was NOT the case before 2.0 patch and The White March. The game used to load MUCH faster, maybe 3-4 times faster!

Edited by MonarchX

6 answers to this question

What its the purpose of having 4k resolution on a HD monitor? Especially with all the prerendered backgrounds?

For the load and save times: The save files are small, so the speed of the drive does not matter at all. Its the rebuilding of the state which takes time, reading the file is instant.

Are you serious??? The game looks much better with 4K DSR. 4K DSR = 4x OGSSAA @ 1080p! It improves the quality of all textures, including pre-rendered background, but it has the most significant effect on objects, like NPC's! NPC clothing, armor, weapons look sharper and clean with 4K DSR. There is also no aliasing shimmering that you get even with 8x MSAA @ 1080p + FXAA or whichever combination. One way or another - the game's resolution function is flawed. If the game is set to FullScreen, then selecting resolutions should actually force the game into those resolutions, be they under native display resolution or above.

As far as load times go - yeah, I know the save files are much smaller. What I was pointing at is that the game USED to load much faster, before The White March and 2.0 update. I know The White March added new content, but the load times increased by 3 or 4 times! Why?

I have not experienced the 3-4x load times you describe. To me, they seem equivalent to pre-patch; my assumption was just that certain people were experiencing extremely long load times for reasons specific to their build/install/etc and this alleviated it for them... if that were the case, since my load times were never that bad I just assumed it would stay constant for me. Odd that yours are much longer now :(

Are you serious??? The game looks much better with 4K DSR. 4K DSR = 4x OGSSAA @ 1080p! It improves the quality of all textures, including pre-rendered background, but it has the most significant effect on objects, like NPC's! NPC clothing, armor, weapons look sharper and clean with 4K DSR. There is also no aliasing shimmering that you get even with 8x MSAA @ 1080p + FXAA or whichever combination. One way or another - the game's resolution function is flawed. If the game is set to FullScreen, then selecting resolutions should actually force the game into those resolutions, be they under native display resolution or above.

As far as load times go - yeah, I know the save files are much smaller. What I was pointing at is that the game USED to load much faster, before The White March and 2.0 update. I know The White March added new content, but the load times increased by 3 or 4 times! Why?

It may have to do with all that snow and special effects they added to the new maps. Those are 3d unity objects, definitely not the 2d background. Generally this kind of game benefits from having more gigs of ram, it would speed up the load. It's either that or the cpu being the bottleneck.

Somehow I doubt his 16Gb of RAM and 4.8Ghz overclocked CPU are bottlenecking PoE's performance.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus