[2.01] Ninagauth's Black Pages

hamskii

Question

I just found Ninagauth's Black Pages in Durgan's Battery, opened it up, saw all the spells it contained, and took it back to the Gréf's Rest to give to Aloth. I started teaching him some spells but accidentally deleted one, so reloaded to do it again. However, now that I have reloaded, when I open the grimoire only spells up to 4th level appear, and I think there is a 3rd level spell missing as well. This persists when I reload, restart the game, or even load a save from before I found the grimoire and pick it up again. I'm worried that I'm now missing out on some of the unique spells in the grimoire. Is there a list of the spells that *should* be in there somewhere so I can add them with AddAbility?

13 answers to this question

I was just about to start a thread about this, because the same thing happened to me.

On my first playthrough I found it and it had one unique spell - I can't remember the name but it was basically a cold-based version of Fireball that also stunned. There were also some other spells, but nothing higher than level 4.

Then I did the quest a second time with a different, higher-level party. This time the grimoire had spells all the way up to level 7, including at least one other unique spell, a raw-damage dealing ray spell at level 4 plus a 7th level barrier spell that may or may not be unique but had the "Ninagauth's" affix. So I thought maybe it was level-dependent what kind of spells the grimoire contained. 

But today I went back to the high-level party, and suddenly Ninagauth's Black Pages only has spells up to level 4, and the other unique spell(s) are gone except for the cold-fireball one. What gives? Was it fixed in a patch? Is it a glitch? My wizard still had the Ninagauth's ray spell and Ninagauth's barrier spell in their list of learned spell, but they were no longer in the grimoire I learned them from.

Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\assetbundles\prefabs\objectbundle

All the talents, spells, effects, summons, powers, items are in there. You're looking for something called Nin and PX1, as the PX1 prefix denotes the white march content, and Nin would be easier to find since it's the spell name. You can also search for "grimoire" and see if you can get it via Additem, to see if it has the spells you want in it.

I suggest using a notepad and copy pasting the command line from it, after you check it. It's easier to do that than in the console.

Edited by Ymarsakar
  • Like 1

All the talents, spells, effects, summons, powers, items are in there. You're looking for something called Nin and PX1, as the PX1 prefix denotes the white march content, and Nin would be easier to find since it's the spell name. You can also search for "grimoire" and see if you can get it via Additem, to see if it has the spells you want in it.

I suggest using a notepad and copy pasting the command line from it, after you check it. It's easier to do that than in the console.

There is at least one unique spell in there that isn't prefixed by Ninagauth - Tayn's Chaotic Orb. However, adding the grimoire via the additem command did work.

My Ninagauth's Black Pages grimoire also somehow lost all its level 5-7 spells sometime during my adventuring as I discovered to my regret when I hit level 10 and had the funds to learn the spells.

Good advice, though the grimoire, despite being in the expansion, is inconsistently not named PX1. (God knows why)

For those who want to add the grimorie, the command is:

additem grimoire_high_lvl_ninagauth 1

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Huh, this is weird. The Grimoire I've picked had Shadowflame, but not Death Ray, and now is bugged and has only spells on levels 1-4.

Then I've spawned one with the console and it had both spells, but Shadowflame - a level IV spell - is in it as a level III spell. But in the original and now-bugged one it's on level IV, correctly (not sure where it was when I picked it up). I think the bug is that it has 5 level IV spells in it, and that messes things up (and probably it cost me a Death Ray -_-').

Edited by mph

Any of the devs see this yet?

I agree that it'd be nice to know if this was seen, and if there will be a retro fix for existing games, or do we need to spawn another copy with the console (I hope installing and then uninstalling IE Mod to do this won't cause some brand new bugs -_-') - I think it may be the only way to get Death Ray currently, at least for some people. 

Yes, some feedback or acknowledgement from devs/QA on this would be appreciated. Here is a save (originally uploaded in relation to a different bug); black pages are in the stash, spells are only up to level 4 (never saw anything higher).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e6e2mriamh0ugv/f14b890225f94e0ab2f56ed84dd91471%2010280844%20FlamesThatWhisperUpperCavern.savegame?dl=0

Seems you only get one shot at the death ray spell being in the book.

In 2.01, as soon as you go to durgan's battery for the first time, you should retrieve the black pages ASAP and copy the spells right there. Even if you take the book with death ray in it, as soon as you reload, it will be gone. Basically once you enter durgan's battery, don't reload/leave without taking the pages and copying the spell in another grimoire or you will lose it. I think you can take the pages and move to other areas while still having death ray but as soon as you reload it's gone so better to do it right then. From the start of the area, you just keep going straight up the path and at the second fork it's in a hidden stash behind the rock and before the cluster of trees. Not sure how much mechanics you need to see the stash of if you need to get the map/see the little side event in russetwood of the guy who hid it there to access the stash.

At least that's as far as my tests went.

Edited by Dinky Dino