If you've finished the game how do you access White March?

It is an expansion not a sequel.

Just like Tales of the Sword Coast was for Baldur's Gate.

Just like any of the four expansions for Fallout New Vegas.

Just like Obsidian promised.

Throne of Bhaal was an expansion.

Mask of the Betrayer was an expansion.

See, I've played games too!

Disclaimer: I'm completely fine with White March being like TotSC and not ToB.

An expansion adds new areas. A sequel continues the adventure.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.....

That's pretty much just an arbitrary distinction. While Throne of Bhaal and Mask of the Betrayer do continue the adventure, they're not sequels - they aren't Baldur's Gate 3 or Neverwinter Nights 3, they're still (or were still) advertised, listed and sold as expansions because that's what they are.

A more accurate way to define them is that an expansion is additional content for an existing game, while a sequel is a new game entirely.

• Like 1

Somehow I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that having the opportunity to start a brand new game with new characters new choices new areas new companions new adventures is a bad thing... :no:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

An expansion is new content added to the base game. A sequel is a new standalone game. Either of them may or may not continue the previous story.

I gave you examples of expansions set after the main quest. One from a series serving as an inspiration for PoE, one from a game developed by Obsidian. I can also give you examples of sequels with new protagonists and new stories, sharing only the world and little else with the previous game: Neverwinter Nights 2 (ha!), Oblivion.

Edited by Rosveen

If the answer is "You must start a new game or load a savegame before entering the final dungeon" then thank you for saving me money.

Do people not do their research.  They said the expansion was going to be like Baldur's Gate TotSC since for over a year now.

Having worked in retail.. no they don't and they'll get angry with you if things aren't 100% how they imagined it would be - its completely your fault for not, somehow magically, informing them of everything before hand and even more so if they should (god forbid) have an issue with the tiniest part of your product.

I wonder if they hold themselves to the same standard in their own line of work.

Fortune favors the bald.

99 of the 100 expansions ever released take place AFTER the main story. Thank you for your brownnosing comment

Somehow I can't seem to wrap my head around the idea that having the opportunity to start a brand new game with new characters new choices new areas new companions new adventures is a bad thing... :no:

Well when it's game that sucks as badly as PoE, it's easy to wrap your head around

That's pretty much just an arbitrary distinction. While Throne of Bhaal and Mask of the Betrayer do continue the adventure, they're not sequels - they aren't Baldur's Gate 3 or Neverwinter Nights 3, they're still (or were still) advertised, listed and sold as expansions because that's what they are.

A more accurate way to define them is that an expansion is additional content for an existing game, while a sequel is a new game entirely.

By the way, you're wrong about the last DLC for Fallout 3, it takes place after the main ending.  Might want to do some research before you end up posting like a goofhead.

If you hate PoE as much as you say you do, why do you even bother asking about the expansion?

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

By the way, you're wrong about the last DLC for Fallout 3, it takes place after the main ending.  Might want to do some research before you end up posting like a goofhead.

Learn to read there tough guy. I said Fallout New Vegas not Fallout 3

Whatever. This is my last post here.  I'm done with Obsidian, especially now that the best of it's creative force is gone (Avellone) Tata now!

Well don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

99 of the 100 expansions ever released take place AFTER the main story. Thank you for your brownnosing comment

Let's see your 100 expansions worth of evidence then.

Because I reckon the majority of expansions take place BEFORE the end, especially if you start including DLC adventures for games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age in your list, which you need to to get up to 100 in the first place.

• Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Whatever. This is my last post here.  I'm done with Obsidian, especially now that the best of it's creative force is gone (Avellone) Tata now!

Bye! It's been great seeing your well thought out, insightful, totally rational, bits of flotsam you scattered on the waters here - I'm sure you will be missed. :no:  

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I think it's ok that expansion adds content in the game that should be explored before the final fight. What I don't understand is why this content is low level content (yes, there is an option to scale the dificulty but originally this content is low level) what breaks the balance of the middle game for those who play it first time (you get extra experience and loot from the addon while the old part of the game is not re-balanced) and what is not so interesting for those who finished the game already (the loot which you get in addon is not usefull in final fight). Wouldn't it be better if addon brought high level content instead of it expanding original game in the moment when all original content is over and you are preparing for final fight? This way no difficulty scaling will be needed, balance of the middle game won't be hurt either and the only thing that should be done is rebalancing the final fight taking into account that extra experience, levels and loot was got via addon.

I think it was idiotic for Obsidian to make the expansion a side quest and not a continuation of the story. I started out loving this game but after nearing the end I just didnt care....

With a continuation I could have gone forward if I wanted..

The way it is now its like a part of the game they didn't finish in time for the initial release..and that's probably the truth.....

Wont get POE 2 cause the story was a convoluted mess and my characters being this size didn't help my immersion.

Just for clarification I bought TWO COPIES of POE , one for me and one for my nephew( who never got into it) .

Gaming is interactive...watching TV ..not so much.

Well when it's game that sucks as badly as PoE, it's easy to wrap your head around

If you think the game is that bad then why on earth did you start this thread?  Why would you want an expansion for a game you think sucks, eh?  I know I wouldn't and wouldn't even ask the question...Lol...;)

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

There's a really simple reason why WM isn't a continuation.  If you could have continued in the game world after you deal with the Hollowborn situation, the devs would've had to update the game world to reflect this.  Lots of dialogue would have to be rewritten, which would be even more of a chore than you might think since no two NPCs would agree on whether your chosen solution (being careful to avoid spoilers) makes you a hero or a criminal.  You'd also have to rewrite/remove a fair number of quests that only make sense in the context of an unresolved critical path.

All of that could have been done, but it would have substantially delayed the release of WM for relatively little gain.  More than 90% of PoE players haven't finished the critical path and would likely never even see these updates, and most of the remaining 10% is OK with continuing from their "nearly final" savegame or else sees starting a new game as an opportunity rather than a chore.  Yes, that does mean that a slice of the PoE community can't follow their preferred path of ending the Hollowborn crisis and then journeying to the White March, just as a slice of the BG community couldn't defeat Sarevok and then journey to Durlag's Tower.  But it isn't as if Obsidian (or BioWare for that matter) opted for an expansion pack rather than a sequel just to vex some of their players -- it was just the best way to quickly give us additional content, with a good chance of a potential sequel down the road that would perhaps explore what happened after PoE1's critical path was resolved.

• Like 2

I think it was idiotic for Obsidian to make the expansion a side quest and not a continuation of the story. I started out loving this game but after nearing the end I just didnt care....

The way it is now its like a part of the game they didn't finish in time for the initial release..and that's probably the truth.....

Wont get POE 2 cause the story was a convoluted mess and my characters being this size didn't help my immersion.

Just for clarification I bought TWO COPIES of POE , one for me and one for my nephew( who never got into it) .

It's perfectly all right to not like things, even when you invested in 'em. No need to invent justifications - the game is finished, its not convoluted or messy ... and why does character size detract from immersion? They're even bigger than in the old Infinity engine games.

Don't buy the next game if PoE didn't click with you, that's a perfectly good explanation on its own. Taste is subjective after all.

Fortune favors the bald.

It's perfectly all right to not like things, even when you invested in 'em. No need to invent justifications - the game is finished, its not convoluted or messy ... and why does character size detract from immersion? They're even bigger than in the old Infinity engine games.

Don't buy the next game if PoE didn't click with you, that's a perfectly good explanation on its own. Taste is subjective after all.

I didn't invent a justification...I stated my opinion.

Your trying to tell me my opinion has no justification......   :)

Gaming is interactive...watching TV ..not so much.