Ok, les talk about critters with paralyze on attack

I think this is a bit overdone... I've entered the White March and i am getting perma paralyzed.... supress affliction does not work, protection from restrain also does not work. how the hell are you able to go past them... I mean, i like challenge, but without means to counteract i rely more on some RNGesus helping me out to not get paralyzed on every attack.... a pack of three L - fishmen can effectively paralyze my party of 6 and there is nothing i can do to counteract this... their attack rate is also rather fast for what they do...

Any ideas?

I have a mage PC, Eder, Pallegina, Durance, Hiravias, and GM... all level 6 now

• Like 1

I'm doing WM quite late, so our experiences are probably different, but I remember the paralyzing Xaurip from Od Nua. The thing you do is...

Well, you need to kill them ASAP before they get to you. Focus fire. Or else freeze them in place with spells like Halt and Mental Binding. That said, if you can't manage to beat them, lower the difficulty or come back at a later time. I think level 6 is low for WM, but I could be wrong.

I don't feel like WM has especially many paralyzing/petrifying/stunning enemies. Od Nua was far worse in that regard, what with the Relentless Storms, the Wail, etc.

Suppress Affliction works, but it only affects afflictions already present. It does not stop you from getting afflictions. It will always suppress paralysis. It helps to have all the Suppress Affliction rings you can find (there are around 3 rings that give you 2/day of that spell).

Scroll of Defense and Scroll of Protection may also help in lessening the impact.

The problem with them is that they have have those ranged dart blowers with very fast attack rate and paralyze on hit, so it is kind of hard to even position yourself that the only one affected is the tank and you get cast spells from safety and blow them up or control them. they just go from one target to another and paralyze the whole team in like 3 rounds (there are usually 3-5 per encounter).

Spells you can get away from AoE range with some party members, xaurips are melee range. Suppress Affliction seems worthless at this level as you still get paralyzed, even if you cast it as the first spell on the party, so it still leads to full party paralyze death.

It simply feels I am there too early in the game, and the difficulty of traps and locks seems to confirm that. I am a bit sad, as I wanted to get new companions ASAP and do the story content with them, but it seems I will have to get 4 more levels before going there, which is quite a few quests to be done without them.

Yup, even in the vanilla game, xaurips seems to have a lot more paralyzing spears. And those name spirits with their wail of paralysis was always annoying...

To the OP, priests have anti-paralysis spells, but those are high-level and not full-proof. Also, try to use choke-points. Since the AI has been upgraded, I'm finding using choke-points is more necessary to win fights.

• Like 1

I find it extremelycheesy as well (and tus I have to be cheesy myself which I dislike:P). Started WM at level 5 and now am lvl 7 and it's kinda strange.

Just killed Ulmar and his monks. Like the fampyr illusionists/berserkers along with lots of dargul. Only beat them (at lvl 5-6) because my Wizard had mechanics 9 and I actually went and bought Heavenly Fire trap just for that fight. If it didnt crit enemies every hit due to 158 acc it would be really really bleak. Even with this it wasn't a faceroll. + like 5/6 dudes from my party got instantly dominated every time.

Giving so much paralyze/stun/dominate is kinda artificial difficulty.

PS

Sagani and her wolf are useless. note to self, pick up Hiravias :p

Edited by Killyox

I completed the Endless Paths at the end of the game and now going into TWM at level 12 I'm finding the same thing. Priest prayers only seem to go so far against the paralysis and charms. I'm thinking Will buffs might be the better tactic, but the high frequency of this CC on us is a bit deflating.

I mean, I have no issue with ghosts or xaurip skirmishers or spellcasters...

ghosts need to be in melee, spellcasters have cast time, wail has limited aoe which you can counter via spacing and is not spammed every round. xaurips are also melee and can be body blocked.... but the damned ranged dart blowers are just annoying me to no end, as you cannot body block them, they have high rate of fire (and even a graze will paralyze for those 2 precious seconds) and they change targets as soon as they will paralyze one...

I do not recall such annoyances in BG or IWD series and boy there were some really powerful monsters, but you could counteract on the spot or even pre-buff or itemize for such effects, not to mention special class abilities that could make you immune to some effects.

On the first play, just after the release I was a bit annoyed by ghosts mainly, and a certain boss, but that's it. With the new version and especially WM content, I think someone at Obsidian went overboard, without giving proper counters...

It can be done, but it is basically reliance on pulling enemy around a cornenr so they stack up on themselves and then dropping some mass AoE CC spells there and cleaning it up... it is NOT FUN, it is more of a chore, that relies on RNG that the guy pulling enemies will not get stunned, paralyzed etc on the first attack and has fast movement...

Yeah, it's rather dumb.  It's especially bad for ironman games because there's no counterplay.

All this reinforces is rest spamming since the best tactic seems to be to throw up trash summons so they stunlock beetles and stuff instead of party members.

Just really dumb design.

They are bloody nasty foes, those Lagufaeths, if one doesn't manage to kill them quickly or crowd control them and they just seem impossible on whatever difficulty level one is playing at, waiting until level 9 is always an option.

At level 9, the level 5 priest Prayer Against Imprisonment works perfectly well and it is easy to cast it as the first spell of combat affecting one's entire group for a very long duration with +50 defense vs. paralyzation attacks and -10 sec duration for any paralyzation attacks that don't miss.

Level 9 furthermore grants Call to Slumber for wizards, taking CC to a new and nastier level, so anybody unable to beat the nasty Lagufaeth groups with access to level 5 spells need their CRPG credentials revoked.

Of course, that's of little help for those wanting to clear out the White Marsh at lower character levels, but it is an option, and just because one can access the White Marsh at level 5-6 doesn't mean it is a good idea (just like some of the areas of the main game one has free access to in act 2 are much harder than others), and the higher the difficulty level the worse the idea it is.

For what it is worth, given the quality of equipment loot drops in White Marsh compared to enchantment levels, I'd guess that most of it is balanced for level ~8.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

At level 9, the level 5 priest Prayer Against Imprisonment works perfectly well and it is easy to cast it as the first spell of combat affecting one's entire group for a very long duration with +50 defense vs. paralyzation attacks and -10 sec duration for any paralyzation attacks that don't miss.

zko7Kqo.jpg

Good luck with prayer against imprisonment. Even with the reduced duration you can spend the whole fight paralyzed if they keep hitting you.

In the end I just try to cast spells like relentless storm, plague of insects, noxious burst, malignant cloud and hope the monsters will die by themselves.

Edited by Suen
  • Like 1

I've come to burn your kingdom down

zko7Kqo.jpg

Good luck with prayer against imprisonment. Even with the reduced duration you can spend the whole fight paralyzed if they keep hitting you.

In the end I just try to cast spells like relentless storm, plague of insects, noxious burst, malignant cloud and hope the monsters will die by themselves.

I said Prayer Against Imprisonment works perfectly well, which it does. When cast on the entire party, it transforms the single most dangerous attribute of the Lagufaeths from a deadly threat to an irritant as most of the party will be unaffected by paralysis most of the time.

This trivializes the fight.

The prayer transforms the Lagufaeth fights into fights like the many others throughout the game against groups of mixed ranged and melee enemies, where the enemies have abilities that occasionally stop the characters they are attacking from acting for a handful of seconds, and you can handle the Lagufaeth fights the same way as you do them, whether it is by gritting your teeth and persevering through damage and occasional incapacitation or by using crowd control and slaughtering the helpless.

Edited by pi2repsion

Getting a 'prayer against imprisonment' off is all well and good, but the problem for me has been they always target Durance and Aloth first, guaranteed. I pretty much just bludgeoned my way through these encounters, probably helped by my party being a little over-levelled for WM, I think I was level 11 going in, so I can soak up a bit more damage.  

Your fun is wrong.

Getting a 'prayer against imprisonment' off is all well and good, but the problem for me has been they always target Durance and Aloth first, guaranteed. I pretty much just bludgeoned my way through these encounters, probably helped by my party being a little over-levelled for WM, I think I was level 11 going in, so I can soak up a bit more damage.  

I may be wrong, farleybear, but on the face of it - not knowing how you approach combat, so I might be mistaken - that sounds like more of a formation problem and sloppy tactics than anything else. Their ranged paralyzation attacks aren't especially long range, so there's no way they should be hitting Durance and Aloth first unless you allow them to.

The way I approach combat against dangerous foes is approaching the fights under cover of stealth, positioning my front line nice to block/intercept incoming enemies, and then starting combat from long range by having somebody shoot at one of the enemies nearest me and then opening up with Prayer Against Imprisonment from Durance and Deleterious Alacrity of Motion from my wizard (and Kana using a summoning figurine to summon shades or beetles or whatnot between my front line and the enemy), ensuring that I cast the essential buffs and summons before enemies have a chance to attack any members of my group, with auto-pause on combat start and finishing ability use to allow me to step through the early combat spells to buff and gain battlefield control without wasted time. (This may seem a bit overcautious, but I am playing on POTD so caution is advised.)

Prayer Against Imprisonment is a Fast Cast spell, so it is utterly impossible for any Lagufaeth to run into range and then shoot/hit Durance before he completes it if you position your party sensibly before opening combat, and that is certainly possible in all the Lagufaeth encounters in White March, should you so desire.

Edited by pi2repsion

I may be wrong... that sounds like more of a formation problem and sloppy tactics than anything else...

No, that sounds about right.  

Your fun is wrong.

To the OP, priests have anti-paralysis spells, but those are high-level and not full-proof.

Suppress Affliction?

Does not work.... you still get paralyzed on hit.

For the last time the sell does not work that way.  it suspends EXISTING debuffs.  If you have Suppress Affliction on an ally and he gets hit AFTER you casted it on him he will still get paralyzed if he does not make a save.  Granted Suppress Affliction and Liberating Exhortation are not perfect in that with a few debuffs they do not immediately relive the character of the effect.  That is another issue I placed in the bug forums.  The spells work properly when used properly except for a few occasions where they seem to have delayed affects.

Have gun will travel.

Level up your party, select talents that give you protection against stun\paralize and you won't have any significant problems with it anymore. At least I didn't have any problems like this playing addon at hard difficulty with my 12lvl party while fighting through Kaed-Nua dundeon in original game before made me think that I need to take those talents indeed and I took them for all characters.

Edited by Rusknight