I am planning to play a Paladin with full party of in-game pre made companions (PotD difficulty) but I wanted to get an overview of Paladin class, I looked up on game's wiki but it seems outdated and I found several old threads saying that Paladins are kinda weak but that was before the pally patch (can't recall exact id of the patch).

So coming back to my question, are paladins still kinda overshadowed by other classes or do they bring something valuable to the table, that worth playing paladin as main character?

Thanks.

• Like 1

My experience was that paladins really shine as off-tanks. They can buff the party with their auras, prevent imminent death with Lay on Hands, combat rez fallen allies, and they are tough enough to hold their own in melee combat (blocking enemies from reaching your squishies). I don't go anywhere without Pellegina and she's far from optimized. If you know how to use your paladin, you'll never question their place in your party.

• Like 1

At the moment because of the Defender nerf to fighter they are the best tanks in the game.  Also they  are GREAT support as they have awesome buffs and auras that really help the party.  You can set them up to do good (never great) damage as the + 20 accuracy to Flames of Devotion along with the fire buff can really pack a punch.  They also have the strongest single target heal in the game with Lay on Hands (some one correct me if I am wrong) but at level 7 with a 16 base into it is healing over 115 endurance over 7 seconds and I don't have Greater Lay on Hands yet.  And plus Paladins rock!

1.  Great tanks

2.  Awesome Support

3. Can be set up to do nasty burst damage but are not a true heavy hitter class.

4.  They are my favorite class hah!

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Hmm....ok

I was also thinking about an offensive / support Wood Elf mid range paladin, with high might / perception , will be wielding bows and wearing robes. I know its different but I was thinking about it since in my current playthrough (Hard) Pallegina has landed some big hits and scored good kills with her warbow, i keep switching pallegina back and forth between estoc and warbow although she is wearing plate, but the experience is good........

So i was thinking may be I should try an archer paladin (with sneak attack talent) with robes for fast casts and attacks, not sure how its gonna turn out in PotD.....

Any advice on this or is it too crazy to try?

Edited by Brimsurfer

Could work though you are probably not playing to its strengths.

FOD bumps up the damage quite a bit, but with war bows it's more of a rapid fire low damage weapon, so damage enhancer not that great. If you were going for Borresaine the accuracy buff would help you hit / crit x2 more per battle, which could be handy though. FOD is more of an alpha strike weapon so imho you are better going for a pistol/arquebus, not arabaleset as lower base damage. With the right setup you can gib most spell casters with one shot.

Firearms are better as you can wear heavier armour and it doesn't hurt your dps that much. robes are good if you are a dps character with bows but if your line gets broken you will pay for it. You can also drop your strength down with firearms and it doesn't hurt your dps that much either, as you should be busting their dr. Zealous focus for back line is nice too as spells are more effective so your int could be lower as well. As you are usually close together in the back line. You can also switch and use a reach weapon after you have shot all your guns.

I would go roughly

M 10

D 18

C 3

P 20

R 10

I 10

Coastal Aumaua

Scale armour, arquebus, halberd, lots of lore to help with spells

Quick switch, enhanced fod, scion flame, penetrating shot, zealous focus, enhanced zealous focus, soldier, arms bearer later when you have nice weapons

Hope this helps

Could work though you are probably not playing to its strengths.

FOD bumps up the damage quite a bit, but with war bows it's more of a rapid fire low damage weapon, so damage enhancer not that great. If you were going for Borresaine the accuracy buff would help you hit / crit x2 more per battle, which could be handy though. FOD is more of an alpha strike weapon so imho you are better going for a pistol/arquebus, not arabaleset as lower base damage. With the right setup you can gib most spell casters with one shot.

Firearms are better as you can wear heavier armour and it doesn't hurt your dps that much. robes are good if you are a dps character with bows but if your line gets broken you will pay for it. You can also drop your strength down with firearms and it doesn't hurt your dps that much either, as you should be busting their dr. Zealous focus for back line is nice too as spells are more effective so your int could be lower as well. As you are usually close together in the back line. You can also switch and use a reach weapon after you have shot all your guns.

I would go roughly

M 10

D 18

C 3

P 20

R 10

I 10

Coastal Aumaua

Scale armour, arquebus, halberd, lots of lore to help with spells

Quick switch, enhanced fod, scion flame, penetrating shot, zealous focus, enhanced zealous focus, soldier, arms bearer later when you have nice weapons

Hope this helps

Hmm....thanks.

However, now I am wondering with this ranged set up would Chanter be a better and efficient option?

Don't play chanters and consensus seems to be underpowered, poor at beginning of fights but better when fights last longer due to chants.

If you are looking for a wood elf bow build I would suggest ranger or rogue, probably ranger as they have a nice meat shield. Rogue is nice too with bows and the damage can be supplemented somewhat with all of their bonuses. Cipher is ok too.