Unlimited resting supplies?

I understand it as rather odd topic but still...

This is actually not for making gameplay easier, I'm just a hoarding maniac, can't overcome myself and it troubles me to leave things around which I can't pick. It became worst since I play on Hard now and can carry only 2 supplies, would much appreciate if there's some mod or workaround so I can pick them up (and even if they vanish and don't stack up it's fine for me).

Thing is, we have unlimited inventory (stash) which is my dream came true, I can grab everything I come across, but resting supply limit decision I just don't understand, why not make an option same way as with inventory? It doesn't really make this game much difficult since we can freely go from place to place without penalty and rest, those supplies are very cheap and most merchants have them so they basically everywhere. As for my part I rest way too rarely, and only when I absolutely have to, mostly in inns for special bonuses, so having like 20 camps vs. 2 wouldn't make any real difference, would it?

The devs have said on several occasions that PoE's rest system is designed to prevent the kind of "resting abuse" people used to do in BG/BG2.  It's also partially a function of the 4th edition D&D ruleset on which PoE was substantially modeled, with per-rest powers intended to be used sparingly relative to per-encounter powers.  If you could rest after each battle, as you essentially could in BG/BG2, then the difference between 1/rest and 1/encounter would become meaningless and characters would be substantially more powerful than intended. 

As you say, PoE's rest system doesn't fully accomplish this objective because it is easy to exit whatever dungeon you happen to be in and retreat to an inn.  But there's still a time cost to doing this which, in my experience, a decent-sized chunk of the PoE community would rather not pay. 

Originally (pre-beta), you could only rest at campsites which were to be scattered across the game's major areas.  (You can roughly think of those campsites as being "checkpoints" although the devs never used that terminology.)  But as the devs discussed at PAX, there wasn't much of an in-game reason why monsters would set up campsites in their areas just in case an adventurer happened to come through and needed to rest.  Nor, they've said on other occasions, did they want to have unlimited rest but with the possibility of a random encounter each time you'd try, because people would then just reload until the dice let their rest be uninterrupted.

My personal preference would have been to let you rest on demand but with a guarantee of a tough encounter before your powers would recharge.  This would take care of the die-roll problem and would cement the idea that, in a dungeon, you have to earn your resting place rather than bunking out and miraculously having your snoring go unnoticed for the next 8 hours. 

The 4-campfire limit doesn't strike me as an especially unreasonable compromise, but I agree with you that it's a bit annoying to be forced to leave treasure of any type on the ground just because the devs don't want you to pick up more than a certain amount.  I guess one way around this would be to give you the copper cost of camping supplies if you tried to grab some while at the limit of 4?  Just an idea but it seems like something along these lines might be an alternative way of addressing your concerns.

• Like 1

I understand it as rather odd topic but still...

This is actually not for making gameplay easier, I'm just a hoarding maniac, can't overcome myself and it troubles me to leave things around which I can't pick. It became worst since I play on Hard now and can carry only 2 supplies, would much appreciate if there's some mod or workaround so I can pick them up (and even if they vanish and don't stack up it's fine for me).

Thing is, we have unlimited inventory (stash) which is my dream came true, I can grab everything I come across, but resting supply limit decision I just don't understand, why not make an option same way as with inventory? It doesn't really make this game much difficult since we can freely go from place to place without penalty and rest, those supplies are very cheap and most merchants have them so they basically everywhere. As for my part I rest way too rarely, and only when I absolutely have to, mostly in inns for special bonuses, so having like 20 camps vs. 2 wouldn't make any real difference, would it?

If you don't care whether you actually stack them into your inventory, but just want the satisfaction of knowing you've left nothing in a container, then rest beside the container, then pick up the camping supplies (thus filling your two slots back up) and carry on.

• Like 1

@jsaving

Well, giving me copper (or anything) for those supplies would be brilliant, sad that devs didn't implemented it...

@Ink Blot

That's what I'm doing right now since this is the only option aside from abandoning it, but it really takes away fun for me because, as I mentioned above, I don't really like to rest often, engaging in combat with tired group and some burned skills is much more satisfying than hitting everything with fresh party.

@Ink Blot

That's what I'm doing right now since this is the only option aside from abandoning it, but it really takes away fun for me because, as I mentioned above, I don't really like to rest often, engaging in combat with tired group and some burned skills is much more satisfying than hitting everything with fresh party.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Something else to consider is take note of where those supplies are and backtrack when you need to rest so you can pick them up. But that's probably a worse solution, since it's much more labor-intensive and requires covering a lot of ground more than once.

• Like 1

Every time I come across a camp kit I consider it a checkpoint :p

I do wish camping was less inventory based and more a balance of risks vs rewards. I also hate leaving valuable, uncommon gear in places I' ve been through.

If they change the rest mechanic, I certainly think there's an opportunity to involve the survival stat in this, either the main's stat, the highest party stat, or the party average.

Is there a possible system whereby the more party members you mark as "on watch" (aka, no rest benefits), the lower the chance of interruption? It doesn't necessarily make sense in reality, but it would generally mean leaving your healthiest warrior/s to guard while casters recharge, and said warriors are likely going to need anti-fatigue buffs and food until they can get their rest. Survival skill of the watcher can also mitigate the chances of interrupt, while athletics would be handy against fatigue. Ranger pets could also be charged to keep watch independent of their master, and Druids and Wizards could sacrifice a spell use to summon additional watchers.

Maybe this isn't instead of the current system, but in addition to it? It'd certainly accentuate the experience of adventuring and dungeon delving by considering these things (a bedroll in a spider infested cave is no bed in an Inn!)

I don't mind the limit of two supplies, but it woulld be nice if you could pick up more than that. Just let us put them in the stash, and make that part of the stash only available at inns and the stronghold. Would be the same as it is now, except we wouldn't need to take notes and run all over the place to pick up spare supplies. That's really no fun, especially with the loading times.

• Like 1

Simply go to your journal and write notes to yourself about where you left a stash of camp gear - then it will be happy to wait for your return to pick it up later when you need it. :)

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...