So many bugs...(and stacking/nonstacking argument)

I just bought the expansion and hoped a lot of the existing stat bugs were fixed.  Apparently they're not only not fixed, but they've multiplied.  Weapon bonuses are bugged, passive abilities are bugged, modals are bugged, just everything is so bugged that it's impossible to actually create a character and play through the game because every level-up means I need to check to see if the ability I've chosen is bugged or not.

What gives?

It seems like a lot of this results from the suppression on stacking buffs and debuffs.  I still don't understand this game design decision.  It's probably too late to change every ability now, but effectively the decision to limit stacking of passive buffs/debuffs essentially means the best route is to always take active damage boosts and crowd control since, by default, they will stack.  Why take two defensive passives when you can just take something like a charm and a damaging ability?

All the current design does is to encourage players to take the best of buff(s) for some stat(s) and ignore everything else since there's zero benefit otherwise.  This makes some classes and builds very useless compared to others.  What makes it worse is the total lack of transparency and the sheer number of bugged abilities...

Edited by durbal

You know, just because something has a bug on some systems in some games, doesn't mean you're going to experience the bug. In fact, most bugs are only present on a small number of systems. Otherwise, software development would be hell of a lot easier :)

I play on the hardest difficulty, and never had to check if every ability is bugged. Most abilities work totally fine.

I don't understand what you're saying about stacking. As a general rule, active abilities do not stack, while passive effects do stack. In particular, it is hard to find crowd control combos that stack effectively (Miasma of Dull-Mindedness is very stackable and so is the Flanked effect, but otherwise...). I

Personally, I didn't like the stacking at first, but it sort of grew on me. I still like the D&D 3e system better, with the bonus types, even though it can get extremely complicated and requires more bookkeeping, since like you said it gives more possibilities. In particular, the current system basically means that as long as you have scrolls of Valor and Defense, defense and accuracy buffs are pretty useless.

It would be nice if groups of classes could only award specific bonus types (e.g. Wizards could only award arcane bonuses, Druids and Priests only divine bonuses, and Chanters and Ciphers only morale bonuses). And if those scrolls were toned down.

Edited by Springwight
  • Like 1

You know, just because something has a bug on some systems in some games, doesn't mean you're going to experience the bug. In fact, most bugs are only present on a small number of systems. Otherwise, software development would be hell of a lot easier :)

I play on the hardest difficulty, and never had to check if every ability is bugged. Most abilities work totally fine.

I don't understand what you're saying about stacking. As a general rule, active abilities do not stack, while passive effects do stack. In particular, it is hard to find crowd control combos that stack effectively (Miasma of Dull-Mindedness is very stackable and so is the Flanked effect, but otherwise...). I

Personally, I didn't like the stacking at first, but it sort of grew on me. I still like the D&D 3e system better, with the bonus types, even though it can get extremely complicated and requires more bookkeeping, since like you said it gives more possibilities. In particular, the current system basically means that as long as you have scrolls of Valor and Defense, defense and accuracy buffs are pretty useless.

It would be nice if groups of classes could only award specific bonus types (e.g. Wizards could only award arcane bonuses, Druids and Priests only divine bonuses, and Chanters and Ciphers only morale bonuses). And if those scrolls were toned down.

I have to ask: have you actually checked most of your abilities?  I mean, in the combat log and everything else?  So many of them simply don't work or don't work correctly, interact with other abilities oddly, etc.  It's all just bizarre and so unorganized that I wonder if the devs are aware of all the problems.  New issues are posted in the bugs forum every day about this stuff.  There are some devs noting the problems and working on them, but it seems like as interaction is fixed another is created.

Could you mention a few abilities that are not working or not working correctly for you?

I too see most stuff as working correctly.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Same here... do mention all that's apparently broken. Shouldn't be too hard since you think all are...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

the debuff stasis doesnt work for my paladin nor my priest, the frenty doesnt work anymore, backstab doesnt work with abilities, cipher spell that echoes the damage didnt work last time i used it, monk iron wheel overwrites the offensive one without saying anything in the tooltip.

i think there are some spells i forgot about, cant remember all the screwups by myself

the debuff stasis doesnt work for my paladin nor my priest, the frenty doesnt work anymore, backstab doesnt work with abilities, cipher spell that echoes the damage didnt work last time i used it, monk iron wheel overwrites the offensive one without saying anything in the tooltip. i think there are some spells i forgot about, cant remember all the screwups by myself

+1

And just look at the bugs forum.

I'm not much for looking under the hood myself - don't stress out on crunching the numbers I just fire the game up and play.

As such I have been blissfully unaware of any bugs that don't interrupt my reverie and the game appears to play fine for me - I'm enjoying it and thus I think I'll just stay away from the bug forums and continue to do so... 8)

• Like 2

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

And just look at the bugs forum.

Then do so on Steam and conclude that all Steam games are pieces of garbage NO ONE can run (says those forums).

Then run your Steam games and have fun playing all those games. All those horrible broken games. Those games that CANNOT possible work on Windows 7 (I use Windows 7).

Yeah, such sections are definitely representative of everyone, always.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

yes i seen a few bugs myself,...

For me, iam now finished the White March Part 1, and i have a few quests and bountyhunter goals to finish and i wont enter the Pit until they confirm i can play The White March 2 if i defeated Thaos before ;-) But the game is far far far from "broken".

The game is all over playable and achievable. Have Fun! :) PoE is a great Game for me!

I just bought the expansion and hoped a lot of the existing stat bugs were fixed. Apparently they're not only not fixed, but they've multiplied. Weapon bonuses are bugged, passive abilities are bugged, modals are bugged, just everything is so bugged that it's impossible to actually create a character and play through the game because every level-up means I need to check to see if the ability I've chosen is bugged or not.

What gives?

It seems like a lot of this results from the suppression on stacking buffs and debuffs. I still don't understand this game design decision. It's probably too late to change every ability now, but effectively the decision to limit stacking of passive buffs/debuffs essentially means the best route is to always take active damage boosts and crowd control since, by default, they will stack. Why take two defensive passives when you can just take something like a charm and a damaging ability?

All the current design does is to encourage players to take the best of buff(s) for some stat(s) and ignore everything else since there's zero benefit otherwise. This makes some classes and builds very useless compared to others. What makes it worse is the total lack of transparency and the sheer number of bugged abilities...

The game is in a sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad state.

So many bugs on everything. Noone has actually completed the game properly because since day 1 there has been alot bugs, exploits, glitches, bugs, bugs and many many many more bugs.

What is worse over half a year the issues havent been fixed but rather just keeps on dominating the game.

Many who play the game dont know just how bugged all the stats, abilities, modals and spells are so they keep saying its ok.

I will never buy an obsidian game again they simply cant make a semi decent game without alot of gamebreaking bugs

The game is in a sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad state.

Are you new to gaming?

Otherwise I can't understand what you're saying, since, compared to other games, this one is virtually bugfree. I haven't had a single CTD since day one. Granted, I don't constantly check my combat log, since when I'm playing I'm not number crunching, but trying to immerse myself. So it may well be that some abilities don't pan out as expected. But going by what's on my screen, this game is pretty satisfying.

Edited by abaris
  • Like 3

Guest BugsVendor

I love how apologetic everyone here is for obsidian.

I heard all this excuses about other games being buggy or "I never looked and checked but I'm having fun".

Just came back to the forums to see if they fixed the game but from what I read still plenty and plenty of bugs everywhere. I got a tiny bit exited about poe 2 but I guess...

You have no idea about programming do you? Do you know the golden rule ? Don't pretend you know something, people who do can smell this from a distance.

It has nothing to do with "systems" or anything like that. They have a very badly designed core element of the game. This was evident from day 1 stacking bug and many others.

^ Except Springwight is a programmer so you've just made a fool of yourself.

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Noone has actually completed the game properly

I'm going to assume this post is one big mocking of the OP, right?

My sarcasm detector has been bugged lately. Fortunately BugsVendor is on the job. It doesn't work and I use Windows 7. Now you should fix it DAMMIT! What more could you possible want to know?

Sorry, but working on The Sith Lords and then going to PoE it's like going from Sodom and Gomorrah to Eden. Sure, there's that apple "glitch" but it's hardly making it the same as you make it out to be.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

Guest BugsVendor

^ Except Springwight is a programmer so you've just made a fool of yourself.

If you think that stats not adding up have anything to do with system or hardware configuration you are running on you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

So my point still holds.

Yeah, stats.

Keep number crunching for all I care. If I point out flaws in the game it's about issues turning into nuisances. Such as the AI not doing what it's supposed to do. I couldn't care less about a stat being one or two notches lower than it's supposed to be, since it doesn't change my game experience. The AI on the other hand does.

• Like 1

Yeah, stats.

Keep number crunching for all I care. If I point out flaws in the game it's about issues turning into nuisances. Such as the AI not doing what it's supposed to do. I couldn't care less about a stat being one or two notches lower than it's supposed to be, since it doesn't change my game experience. The AI on the other hand does.

Oh yeah, if you can kill`em`all even with bugged abilities\stats - then it's ok. If you can't you going to forums.

"I don't care until it concern me"

Wonderful.

Edited by lameover
  • Like 1

Sorry for my bad english.

Yeah, stats.

Well those of us who care wether lay on hands heals for over 2000 or silvertide for more than the entire endurance pool, or that enchants on weapons work, that skills, modals, spells actually work the game has, have had and continues to have far, far, far to many gamebreaking bugs.

As i said noone has ever completed the game using the game system and its rules for they have never been working even remotely correct.

Never again a bugfest from obsidian for me.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

You know, there are other states than "absolutely fine" and "completely broken".

The game is playable and if I really wanted to play it now, I would and could have fun with it. But since the game appears now to be in the worst state since I bought it (at version 1.04) I expect it to be more enjoyable after a few patches and decided to wait for them.

Nevertheless 'worst state' is meant only in comparison to the other game versions I experienced, certainly not in comparison to other games.

In software projects of this magnitude bugs are just unavoidable and since PoE has a very extensive game system which shows its inner workings openly (at least to those who use the log) some of them are easier spottable for users as bugs in other games. But a skill working incorrectly certainly isn't gamebreaking - even in those rare cases where you have to decide not to use it anymore. 

On the other hand, I don't think ignorant bliss is a really good defense. There are people, like me, who notice things not working and who are annoyed by it and once you notice something, you can't unnotice it. And of course would the game be better if it would do, what it leads you to expect. The "number crunching" accusation is just silly, as numbers just are a integral part of the game system. If you choose to ignore them that's fine, but telling someone who doesn't that he's somehow playing the game wrongly simply isn't right.

So, I think, in the end my assessment is: could be better, could be worse.

Edited by Wozzeck
  • Like 3

I won't say there aren't any bugs, but I haven't experienced anything game breaking, which I can't say for a lot of other games. The worst I've had to deal with was the ambassador's dialogue glitch, but even that could be fixed by mashing the space bar. The 2nd very annoying, but still not game breaking thing I had to deal with was the draining enchantment being replaced by ambushing. That's pretty much all I can think of. Everything else is/was minor. I never experienced CTDs or bugs that prevented progression.

You people should be thankful that OE isn't Ubisoft or EA. Their games are usually total garbage at day 1 and won't be 100% bug free ever. Have patience!

I never experienced CTDs or bugs that prevented progression.

In this sense there is no gamebreaking bugs. You can even faceroll on doubled game speed without pause on easy level to progress.

But, as already said, there is many bugs noticed by people.

You can never notice Barbaric Frenzy\Yell bug if you don't play Barbarian. But it could be a gamebreaking bug for those who play it.

If you don't respec you'll never see respec bugs. If you don't count on Hiravias you'll never see Returning\Relentless storm not casting in tough moment.

And, of course, if you never experienced CTDs you can't feel what feel people who experience them on every travel to other locations.

Here is the thing.

Edited by lameover

Sorry for my bad english.