Ranger Names Oh My....

I think I may have done goofed.  I created a human male ranger for a new playthrough with White March, and using the personal names page from the Pillars wiki, concocted a name by merging two separate names together, in this case Aldwyn and Cafden to make Cafwyn.  All was fine until I thought harder on the name I had chosen... and realised that I may have named my male ranger the fantasy equivalent of Kathryn!  :o  Dear god, someone tell me I'm wrong, I have already pretty much finished Act 1 but every time I look at my character I see them in drag (doesn't help that they have a lumberjack's beard)...

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

My SR:HR toon is named G. Unit. I lack imagination. :(

Hey, I make my names by ripping off other names, at least yours is unique! :)

It also sounds like cafein.

Get a lot of survival, and make him an activity boosting consumable addict.

You know what, that's what I'm gonna tell myself, that he's name after caffeine and is on the adventure purely because he just wants a decent cup of tea...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

I used to hate coming up with names for characters. Until someone on another forum gave me an idea to use names from Religion and Spirituality. I throw in names from legend and history as well. Now I have a big list of names to use in the future, and I try to match the name to the character's background and personality. For example some are:

Persephone = an undead human fighter I first created in Skyrim. She died 4,000 years before the game began, and was reanimated by a necromancer trying to find a way to cheat death. Yes, I am ripping of Mary Shelly.  :grin:  I have since played her in Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, NWN1 & 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, FONV, and Pillars. Oh, and Links, because even the dead like to golf... ;)

Skadi =  my current Ranger in POE. Her wolf companion is Fenrir.

Mielikki = an old foresty/archer/ranger character from another game.

Kalaratri = a dwaven figher in DA:O

Durga = an orc fighter in Skyrim.

Aurora = a science/energy weapons geek in New Vegas.

Oya = is another PoE character, a barbarian fighter from the Isles dual-wielding. I went with speed over power with her as test, and she turned out to be a whirlwind of destruction.

Astarte = an Ayleid spellsword I played in Oblivion, the last queen of Silorn, who traveled through time to end up in that tutorial dungeon with the Emperor.

Belladona = a mage specializing in poisons.

Tomoe Gozen = a samurai in Fallout 3.

Annie Ley Oak = a gunwoman in New Vegas.

And so on. Now I love coming up with names for characters!

• Like 1

I have already pretty much finished Act 1 but every time I look at my character I see them in drag (doesn't help that they have a lumberjack's beard)...

I always gave them latin names derived from Roman Graffiti. But since this isn't an adult board I can't quite give you examples. But there's no mistaking their gender.

Edited by abaris
  • Like 1

You know what, that's what I'm gonna tell myself, that he's name after caffeine and is on the adventure purely because he just wants a decent cup of tea...

Actually, I believe according to the in-game pronunciation guide of Aedyr/Dyrwood names..."w" is pronounced like "u" and "y" is pronounced like an "ee" sound.

So, Cafwyn could be pronounced like "Cafueen," which sounds even MORE like "Caffeine", especially if you gloss over the "u" sound.

• Like 2

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

I always think of a name that William Shatner (Captain Kirk from Star Trek) could enunciate as only he can - You ..... Klingon ....Bastards ...... You Murdered ..... My Son!!!

Something like Saurok ,  Kurok, Vulkar, Vishnaar, Kharg. basically two hard syllables.

Then add "The Merciless" or "The Swift" or something like that. Dwarves get something like "Stone Cleaver"

All together you get Vulkar Stonecleaver, Kharg The Merciless, Vishnaar The Swift, Saurok The Cruel, Korik The just

• Like 2

All was fine until I thought harder on the name I had chosen... and realised that I may have named my male ranger the fantasy equivalent of Kathryn!

Or Kevin... ;)

Is that really better?

:p

He could be Richard. Just saying.

Kevin the Lumberjack... it does kinda work....

Actually, I believe according to the in-game pronunciation guide of Aedyr/Dyrwood names..."w" is pronounced like "u" and "y" is pronounced like an "ee" sound.

So, Cafwyn could be pronounced like "Cafueen," which sounds even MORE like "Caffeine", especially if you gloss over the "u" sound.

Cool, I'll have to look up and pay attention to the pronunciation guide to avoid further... entanglements.  In the meantime, Caffeine the Mighty Ranger will continue his epic quest to find a decent cup of tea! :D

I've been using old Saxon names which seem to be a good fit for the setting. Old Welsh names would be good too. So far I've created three PCs and used Aethelstan, Hereward & Hengest.   

I think I did look up Saxon names before finding the personal names on the wiki, Aedyrans in particular do seem to be heavily inspired by Saxon stuff.