Painful forum situation

Some of us are VERY new to this game.  In order to find information on the forum, we have to either dig through a bajillion posts (half or more of which don't pertain to the "early game" - that is, prior to White March) or depend on a search function that's.... ineffective.... at best.

Could your website folks PLEASE separate the forum by "specialty"?  That is (leaving the entire beta backer stuff out of it for obvious reasons) the main game (prior to the White March), the xpac/dlc (whatever y'all are calling it) White March, and "new" beta stuff for 2.0.  The mishmash right now is MORE than annoying.

Edited by Oralaina

What they should really do is divide the forums down into conversations about a specific topic and then put the name of the topic in a searchable title index. Then if its still difficult to find information on a subject we should be able to start a new topic, initiating a conversation about the specific information we're looking for. That would clear things up tremendously.

The forum isn't the best place to get a basic understanding for the game, that's true.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4UqltmSKaEeCbgMY7nx2U0kngJ77wwhX

Check out this guys videos for some basic and class guides. He also has an awesome written guide on steam (several builds per class in one guide!), but it's currently being rewritten, so it's a confusing mix of 1.6 and 2.0 now. With the vids, you can be sure that they are up to date.

• Like 1

The forum isn't the best place to get a basic understanding for the game, that's true.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4UqltmSKaEeCbgMY7nx2U0kngJ77wwhX

Check out this guys videos for some basic and class guides. He also has an awesome written guide on steam (several builds per class in one guide!), but it's currently being rewritten, so it's a confusing mix of 1.6 and 2.0 now. With the vids, you can be sure that they are up to date.

I don't do vids because my bandwidth is so limited.  Thanks for the link, but really can't use it.  So far I'm okay with the game, but the forums *rolls eyes* - I've done better with generic google searches, which is downright silly.

Well... it's just like every other forum right? Perhaps worse because this game keeps evolving with every patch. 

Just make a new thread like everyone else?

*sigh*  No, it is NOT "just like every other forum".  It's worse than most.  Making a new thread for every newbie inquiry is - so '90s....

Edited by Oralaina

This is a good point to be raised of most wikis and forums. Is there a way for all posts prior to an update to be tagged as effective from x.xx version and before?

It'd be simple to make forum posts get footnoted with the current game release version they are created in (meaning advanced searches could have a version range in addition to, or beside, the date range selector), but how do good wikis show for which version the info applies?

Surely there'd be some system where pages would also get tagged with the effective game version, and any page that is one version before the current could be automatically flagged as *potentially out of date* with the appropriate warning on the page. Then readers and wiki hawks alike could quickly validate the content.

Edited by FacesOfMu

I don't do vids because my bandwidth is so limited.  Thanks for the link, but really can't use it.  So far I'm okay with the game, but the forums *rolls eyes* - I've done better with generic google searches, which is downright silly.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

Here's the link for the written version. He seems to do the vids first, but for some classes he already updated his guide.

*sigh*  No, it is NOT "just like every other forum".  It's worse than most.  Making a new thread for every newbie inquiry is - so '90s....

This is a man who was absolutely under no circumstances using the internet in the 90s

Edited by Nerbert
  • Like 1

Tip; go to subforum (like General here) then search. It'll only search that forum, not all forums of the entire game. Shouldn't have any beta-hit from that either, and should relative be spoiler free...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

This is a man who was absolutely under no circumstances using the internet in the 90s

*rolls eyes*

I'm female, and yes I've been using the 'net since the '90s.  I have extremely limited bandwidth because I live in the back of beyond, and satband is my only connect available.  Please just take your silly assumptions back to high school where they belong.

JEEZUS.

Tip; go to subforum (like General here) then search. It'll only search that forum, not all forums of the entire game. Shouldn't have any beta-hit from that either, and should relative be spoiler free...

Yeah, I tried that - and the results were "marginally" better.  Truthfully.... google does a better job.

Edited by Oralaina