[TWM] Hostile ogres in lower caverns after truce

Acision

Question

After making truce with the matron without killing a single ogre, she clearly says our party can freely explore the ogre caverns.  However, all the ogres in the lower caverns are still hostile unlike the main level where they are friendly.  The lower levels contains a quest involving finding pieces of a helmet and it took a few tries to grab it without being seen by the digging ogres even with high stealth since grabbing the item will initiate a cut scene and thus automatically forcing you out of sneak mode. Not sure if this was intended or if it's a bug.  

Edited by Acision

15 answers to this question

Hello Acision, 

Could you please upload a save file along with an output log via dropbox so I can take a look? 

Thanks a bunch!

Can it be any save file after completing the ogre truce quest or would you prefer a save file with my party in the lower caverns?

I don't have a Dropbox account and prefer not to install their software, do you mind if I use something that doesn't require software installation like Sendspace?  I won't be able to upload the save file until Tuesday as it's the long weekend here and I won't have access to my desktop until then.

Edited by Acision

Any news on whether this bug will be addressed? Not sure if there is a save file for it already but here are mine in any case; one just before talking to the matron, and one afterwards showing a hostile ogre. Just as the OP describes, after the truce the upper level is friendly but the lower level is hostile.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e6e2mriamh0ugv/f14b890225f94e0ab2f56ed84dd91471%2010280844%20FlamesThatWhisperUpperCavern.savegame?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zy4qnwtc44lvivw/f14b890225f94e0ab2f56ed84dd91471%2010282464%20FlamesThatWhisperLowerCavern.savegame?dl=0

(win7, GOG, 2.01)

I've experienced this, along with the hostile ones in the south outside of the cave in Durgan's Battery who comment that they have a truce and then go red.

Along those lines, Korgrak in the Dyrford Crossing cave seems to be effected by the Truce with the Ogres in Russetwood making the "A Farmer's Plight" quest go weird.

I'm having problems with excessive ogre hostility as well. Granted, I killed a few ogres outside of the Flames-that-Whisper caverns (one of them caught me by surprise while I was sneaking around), but I stealthed the entire inside of the caverns and managed to make a truce with the ogre matron. Unfortunately, that only seems to have affected the ogres on the upper level of the caverns. The ogres in both the lower levels and the Russetwood are still hostile. The matron said to see Morug about supplies and resting, but he attacks along with two others as soon as I leave the caverns!

Another possible ogre aggression bug is with the pale elves who are pulling along an enslaved ogre in the eastern section of the Russetwood. I've reloaded this encounter several times to see all the options and I'm not sure if the ogre is supposed to be hostile to my party regardless of what I choose. As far as I can tell, the only difference is whether he fights with or against the pale elves. I'm not sure what the Might check is for if you decide to punch an elf, since either failing or passing the check has resulted in  a three-way ogre vs elves vs party battle. Additionally, when I went back to retry this fight last night to make this post, the elf-punch Might check no longer recognized any Might buffs from food or equipment. This isn't the first time this has happened in the expansion either. I don't remember the details, but I know there were other instances where dialogue/scripted interaction stat checks didn't properly take buffs into consideration.

Here are saves from right before I talk to the ogre matron (when all ogres should be and are hostile), right after I make the truce (when they should all be friendly but many aren't), and from before I've even set foot in the Russetwood:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/eyvp0b

How do you get to the matron without killing any ogre?  I've been trying to do that, and can't find a way....

Easiest way to avoid killing ogres for me was to first sneak to your right once you enter the cave.  Proceed to the right until you can head south and to your left should be an icy opening where you can climb down.  Once you reach the bottom, there will be hostile lizard creatures which you can kill without worries on the left side and you will also find two dead ogres.  On the closest ogre corpse you will find a key to open the door to the scrying chamber where the matron is located.  Once you have the key you can climb back up and back track to the cave entrance.  Just a bit north there will be a door on your left which you can use the key.  Sneak up there open the door and you can talk to the matron without having to fight any ogres.