Ok so now that soulbound weapons are introduced, I want to know if soulbound weapons are stronger than all non-soulbound weapons (even the unique ones with super enchantments)?

I recently found a unique but only exceptional weapon with really strong enchantments and I am wondering if I should enchant it into a super weapon. I still haven't come across any soulbound weapons so I have no idea about the power of soulbound weapons.

Can anyone please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.

Edited by Brimsurfer

No they are not. At least not the non leveled soulbound weapons. I have unique weapons that are better than their soulbound counterparts.

What I do is I use the 2 equipment setups, one for my unique weapon of choice and the other for a soulbound setup. I switch to the soubound when

it can be leveled up.

When you fully upgrade them, I believe the soulbound weapons become superior quality, which makes a lot of them very useful, like Stormcaller. Unfortunately, due to current scaling issues, unless you pick the weapons up early, there may not be enough enemies left in the game for you to unlock all their powers.

Soulbound weapons are a cool idea, but unfortunately have a number of issues.

The biggest issue is that I started playing WM at level 12 from my first playthrough and I had cleared every monster in the game. There aren't enough monsters to level up the weapons without me starting a new game. I wish there was some kind of training grounds maybe in Caed Nua that let me fight low level monsters or something. As it is, the soulbound weapons only work if you get them early enough in the playthrough...

To clarify, I had also done all the bounty quests previously from Caed Nua.

Edited by cycloverid

No, it's not a cool idea. I had no idea... This is a MMO mechanic that doesn't belong in a single player game. MMO's use it to keep you grinding for rare items for your guild, instead of burning through content on hand-me-downs. If you've got a party of 6 different classes in a single player game, at most one melee hands down to another, and for a very limited time too. If this is truly like what happens in MMO's, it's just nonsensical.

Edit: Don't misunderstand my statement. I'm not saying that because I can't do something I want to. I haven't even started the expansion yet. What I am saying is that it's like this...

In an MMO, say a top raid item drops for a warrior and you have 3 good warriors in the guild. Of course they all want it, which is why systems like DKP are put into place. And those warriors have to make a hard choice about whether to use their points or save them in case something else good drops later in the raid.

In a single player game, if the same thing happens and I have two fighters in the party... It's not a big deal. I just give it to the least well equipped one and wait for something else to drop. After all, I control both of them and it's no skin off my nose. See? There is no "hard choice", and that makes it a meaningless mechanic to the player. Personally, I won't lose any sleep over it. Except maybe, why didn't they put that effort into some other feature?

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

No, it's not a cool idea. I had no idea... This is a MMO mechanic that doesn't belong in a single player game. MMO's use it to keep you grinding for rare items for your guild, instead of burning through content on hand-me-downs. If you've got a party of 6 different classes in a single player game, at most one melee hands down to another, and for a very limited time too. If this is truly like what happens in MMO's, it's just nonsensical.

Edit: Don't misunderstand my statement. I'm not saying that because I can't do something I want to. I haven't even started the expansion yet. What I am saying is that it's like this...

In an MMO, say a top raid item drops for a warrior and you have 3 good warriors in the guild. Of course they all want it, which is why systems like DKP are put into place. And those warriors have to make a hard choice about whether to use their points or save them in case something else good drops later in the raid.

In a single player game, if the same thing happens and I have two fighters in the party... It's not a big deal. I just give it to the least well equipped one and wait for something else to drop. After all, I control both of them and it's no skin off my nose. See? There is no "hard choice", and that makes it a meaningless mechanic to the player. Personally, I won't lose any sleep over it. Except maybe, why didn't they put that effort into some other feature?

I'd compare it more to disgaea than an MMO... you literally level up an item and can severe the soul binding whenever you want. It's fine, it just works less well in a game where there's limited enemies.

I've only found a couple so far, and haven't leveled them much, but I like the idea. They just add a little more flavor, another choice to make, and a little mini game trying to level them up. I appreciate the addition. I started White March at level 12 as well, so I might not fill the requirements to level them up... yet.  White March Part II is in the works however, mayhaps they'll take this into consideration and accommodate us.

I've only found a couple so far, and haven't leveled them much, but I like the idea. They just add a little more flavor, another choice to make, and a little mini game trying to level them up. I appreciate the addition. I started White March at level 12 as well, so I might not fill the requirements to level them up... yet.  White March Part II is in the works however, mayhaps they'll take this into consideration and accommodate us.

Oh, so it's not just a "this is vendor trash once you equip it" mechanic. Then, there may actually be something to it. But if it's just like a MMO thing... blah.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

It's not an MMO thing at all. Just play it and see for yourself. It has almost nothing in common with Bind on Equip if that's what you're thinking. Yes, it does get bound to a character, it levels up, and you can sever it and use it on another character but it needs to be leveled up again.

From what I have seen, fully leveled soulbound weapons are pretty powerful but not necessarily a no-brainer over every other piece of equipment in the same category. This is especially true if we factor in the possibility to make items "Durgan refined."

Sure, a fully unlocked St Ydwen's Redeemer is powerful, but compare it to a Durgan-refined Tidefall ... Not so easy a choice.

Same with, say, The Grey Sleeper and a Superb, Durgan-refined The White Spire.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes, it does!

On a sidenote: these new unique weapons can't be enchanted. This includes durgan steel refinement. I wouldn't call them a no brainer at all. The Estoc is great, and the GS is okayish, as for the others there are far better alternatives or the weapon type is just meh.

Edited by dukefx
  • Like 1

What is Durgan refinement exactly ?

And how many weapons can you refine ?

Once you finish the main story, you can refine durgan ingots into steel, each piece of which can be used to upgrade a weapon. Each piece of durgan steel takes 3 ingots, or 2 if you

bind the spirits to the forge

. I've found 20 ingots total, so that's 6 or 10 upgrades total.

Each upgrade works as a 0 cost enchantment. For weapons it increases attack speed, converts hits to crits, and increases crit multiplier. For armor it reduces the armor penalty, and converts hit to grazes. For shields it gives a chance to reflect projectiles and increases the attack speed of your weapon.

• Like 3