So, what do you think of the new companions? (SPOILERS)

How do you like the 2 news companions?

Devil of Caroc: My new fav! Bad girl, plus I really love the metallic sound of her voice. Her back story is fits into the Waidwen's legacy plot and the overall game lore very well, and she seems to comment on a lot of things (Like when entering the Sanitorium, she looks at the statue and says "Wow, and I thought I had it bad") Finally, her love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with the mad scientist guy was interesting.

Her quest (killing the woodcutter) was fun but... felt a little short. Also, murdering someone in broad daylight felt a bit meh. I kind of wanted a bit more cloak and dagger. But I guess it illustrates her "loose-cannon" personality. 

Zahua: In some ways, really stereotypical (he's looking for his ultimate kung-fu technique that his master didn't teach him) On the other hand, I thought the "do gross/uncomfortable things to fight vanity/pleasure" thing was interesting. Some of his philosophies really make sense you know? Like, when Durance talks about religion and life, it just sounds like waffle that uses a lot of fire adjectives and is meant to sound cool. But when Zahua speaks about life... it's deep man. His endless stoner comments are a bit cheesy but... hey... that's also character flavor.

Haven't done his quest yet.

What do you think? No doubts power-gamers will want to complain about their attributes...

Edited by Heijoushin

I'll be honest; I completely forgot why Zahua is even in the party. He's not a bad character, exactly, he just doesn't feel appropriate to the theme of White Marches. It makes sense, I guess, a similar monk character was planned for the base game but eventually scrapped; it sort of feels like they just forced him into this expansion. Does he even have a quest? He hasn't given me one.

• Like 1

I'll be honest; I completely forgot why Zahua is even in the party. He's not a bad character, exactly, he just doesn't feel appropriate to the theme of White Marches. It makes sense, I guess, a similar monk character was planned for the base game but eventually scrapped; it sort of feels like they just forced him into this expansion. Does he even have a quest? He hasn't given me one.

Ha! You have a point actually. The Devil's story fits in perfectly, but Zahua's background relates to a completely place. And his reasons for visiting White March is pretty much a vague "I want to help people!" (I think?) 

Okay, so, I was looking through the game's conversation files to see how much banter there was for the 2 new companions, and it looks like there is a personal quest for Zahua planned in the future. If you don't want to be spoiled on it, I highly recommend NOT looking through those files.

How do you like the 2 news companions?

Zahua: In some ways, really stereotypical (he's looking for his ultimate kung-fu technique that his master didn't teach him) On the other hand, I thought the "do gross/uncomfortable things to fight vanity/pleasure" thing was interesting. Some of his philosophies really make sense you know? Like, when Durance talks about religion and life, it just sounds like waffle that uses a lot of fire adjectives and is meant to sound cool. But when Zahua speaks about life... it's deep man. His endless stoner comments are a bit cheesy but... hey... that's also character flavor.

Haven't done his quest yet.

What do you think? No doubts power-gamers will want to complain about their attributes...

I only got him so far. Great voice, but is it just me, or does anyone else got the feeling that outside appearance and voice don't quite fit? I would have expected something more ragged going by his picture.

• Like 1

IMHO, Devil's a bit of a loose cannon and doesn't quite gel with my goody goody two shoes chanter. I'm sure she'll get along great with my former pirate barbarian, though! Besides, she's sassy, and her name could theoretically be shortened to DoC, for all your Looney Toons reference needs. Mechanically, my only complaint is having to enchant her armor myself. I mean, it totally makes sense in-universe, but I kind of wish I could use one of the many Unique armor sets I've accumulated over my 100% completionist frenzy to give her something other than the standard "Exceptional + Stat Boost + DR" package.

Zahua, well, go figure that his quest is in the second half of the expansion. :| I am enjoying having a monk on the team, at least, and he DOES give out occasional backstory cookies if you keep him around through the White March. In the meantime, I'll amuse myself with all the stoner jokes I can muster. Give this man some Mountain Dew and Doritos!

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

Personally, I liked Zahua more than the Devil. Some of the drugs stuff got overdone but I think they kept a pretty good balance between humor and him being serious. He was pleasant to talk to, reminded me of Edér in that way (which makes sense as they're written by the same guy). Looking forward to his quest.

I thought the Devil felt really undercooked. For one, when I had gotten her in my party, I went straight to Stalwart to rest at the Inn and her quest fired off before I had even chatted with her. It felt extremely rushed. I also thought they hit upon the whole "she's a MURDERER!" thing a bit too much. I dunno, in a way I guess she's complex since she seems pretty pleasant  to talk to in some ways but with that darkness behind her. But there just isn't enough depth to her really justify that or have it make sense. It's all over very quickly.

I will say that reading the woodcutter's soul was fantastic, as was the Devil's recollection of being put into the construct body. Those bits were some of the best writing in the expansion/game in my mind. But yeah... I wish there was more to the Devil, and that she was unveiled more slowly over the course of the game like Durance for example. Her story is so heavy yet you can get it done in basically no time at all.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I really like Zahua, I even began taking screenshots of some of his best moments. For example:

f1wiz8.jpg

I also loved the "Are you real?" dialogue node in his first conversation. For me he may very well rival Morte from Torment, and that's something.

Devil is all right too, fun personality, but I like the monk better.

• Like 1

I really like Zahua, I even began taking screenshots of some of his best moments. For example:

f1wiz8.jpg

I also loved the "Are you real?" dialogue node in his first conversation. For me he may very well rival Morte from Torment, and that's something.

Devil is all right too, fun personality, but I like the monk better.

He didn't do that with me. Although I took him and Kana to level 7 of the Endless Path because of you posting this.

Personally, I liked Zahua more than the Devil. Some of the drugs stuff got overdone but I think they kept a pretty good balance between humor and him being serious. He was pleasant to talk to, reminded me of Edér in that way (which makes sense as they're written by the same guy). Looking forward to his quest.

I thought the Devil felt really undercooked. For one, when I had gotten her in my party, I went straight to Stalwart to rest at the Inn and her quest fired off before I had even chatted with her. It felt extremely rushed. I also thought they hit upon the whole "she's a MURDERER!" thing a bit too much. I dunno, in a way I guess she's complex since she seems pretty pleasant  to talk to in some ways but with that darkness behind her. But there just isn't enough depth to her really justify that or have it make sense. It's all over very quickly.

I will say that reading the woodcutter's soul was fantastic, as was the Devil's recollection of being put into the construct body. Those bits were some of the best writing in the expansion/game in my mind. But yeah... I wish there was more to the Devil, and that she was unveiled more slowly over the course of the game like Durance for example. Her story is so heavy yet you can get it done in basically no time at all.

It's true! I wish they'd stretched her quest out over both expansions or something. It goes by so fast...but I can't wait to see what she does in the rest of the game.

I love her personality, her super dark but hilarious comments. I just want more.

The monk's quest is in Part 2, along with the barbarian companion.

Yay so finally we will have all classes.

I just wish Devil was easier to access.

Technically we're still waiting for a barbarian! 

I agree with above opinions... Devil was cool, but felt rushed, if only because you can finish her quest in 10 minutes of getting her.

I would have put multiple people on her "hit list" and spread them out a little more (like in non-white march regions). 

I'm kinda disappointed with the Devil. I like her personality, but her stats are so awful I can't play with her.

THIS.

Why do developers so often feel the need to CRIPPLE player companions, making them weak and un-optimised from a whole variety of angles?

The completely silly companion stat distribution has been plaquing PoE from the start. But, it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little console fiddling.

However, now the devs have hit a few new lows in one fell swoop:

1) A "DPS" companion with NON-REMOVABLE ARMOR that imposes a steep 40% recovery penalty, and with a pathetic 8 DR? It's like the WORST armor ever imaginable: it doesn't give the recovery rate of lighter armors, while at the same time remaining far from the protection of full plate (with only 10% recovery rate difference), and it doesn't offer any of the unique armor abilities (such as Second Chance, Retaliation, Preservation, extra flanking damage, skill boosts etc).

Not to mention the purely aesthetic "pleasure" of constantly having to look at DoC's C-3PO body. What, did the designers think it was so "appealing" they didn't want players to "hide" it under armor or clothing? ROFL.

2) "Living machine" has to be among the least useful racial traits to date. Not being able to wear armor of the player's choice would have at least merited a decent racial ability; however, immunity to disease and poison (how often does a DPS char - especially a ranged DPS char as rogues are wont to be - gets hit with one of those?) in exchange of being unable to use food, drinks and drugs? At best, this is a zero-sum trait; at worst, it is a penalty rather than a benefit. If there was also immunity to fatigue, it would have been decent (and far more logical); as it stands now, it is pointless.

3) Weapon focus: Peasant? Are you kidding me? Hatchet, Spear, Quarterstaff, Hunting Bow, Unarmed - truly "excellent" weapon selection for a rogue, not to mention "logical" for a mass murderer who's made a career in killing. Using farming implements. 

4) And, of course, to round it all up there's the genius stat distribution. 15 Resolve and 10 Dex/13 Might on a DPS character? Sign me up... not.

So yeah, all in all the DoC's gotta be the worst companion to date from gameplay perspective. Unfortunately, she's also the only "evil" companion, and her banter is quite enjoyable. I don't know if the devs went for the HK-47 (of KOTOR fame) feel, but it feels like a botched effort.

Probably I'm still gonna be taking DoC for a ride (personality-wise she's a welcome diversion from the majority of PoE's milquetoast entourage), but it will require some heavy editing to make her into a reasonably optimised combatant.

Edited by Lord Vicious

I'm kinda disappointed with the Devil. I like her personality, but her stats are so awful I can't play with her.

THIS.

Why do developers so often feel the need to CRIPPLE player companions, making them weak and un-optimised from a whole variety of angles?

The completely silly companion stat distribution has been plaquing PoE from the start. But, it was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little console fiddling.

1) A "DPS" companion with NON-REMOVABLE ARMOR that imposes a steep 40% recovery penalty, and with a pathetic 8 DR? It's like the WORST armor ever imaginable: it doesn't give the recovery rate of lighter armors, while at the same time remaining far from the protection of full plate (with only 10% recovery rate difference), and it doesn't offer any of the unique armor abilities (such as Second Chance, Retaliation, Preservation, extra flanking damage, skill boosts etc).

Not to mention the purely aesthetic "pleasure" of constantly having to look at DoC's C-3PO body. What, did the designers think it was so "appealing" they didn't want players to "hide" it under armor or clothing? ROFL.

2) "Living machine" has to be among the least useful racial traits to date. Not being able to wear armor of the player's choice would have at least merited a decent racial ability; however, immunity to disease and poison (how often does a DPS char - especially a ranged DPS char as rogues are wont to be - gets hit with one of those?) in exchange of being unable to use food, drinks and drugs? At best, this is a zero-sum trait; at worst, it is a penalty rather than a benefit. If there was also immunity to fatigue, it would have been decent (and far more logical); as it stands now, it is pointless.

3) Weapon focus: Peasant? Are you kidding me? Hatchet, Spear, Quarterstaff, Hunting Bow, Unarmed - truly "excellent" weapon selection for a rogue, not to mention "logical" for a mass murderer who's made a career in killing. Using farming implements. 

4) And, of course, to round it all up there's the genius stat distribution. 15 Resolve and 10 Dex/13 Might on a DPS character? Sign me up... not.

So yeah, all in all the DoC's gotta be the worst companion to date from gameplay perspective. Unfortunately, she's also the only "evil" companion, and her banter is quite enjoyable. I don't know if the devs went for the HK-47 (of KOTOR fame) feel, but it feels like a botched effort.

Probably I'm still gonna be taking DoC for a ride (personality-wise she's a welcome diversion from the majority of PoE's milquetoast entourage), but it will require some heavy editing to make her into a reasonably optimised combatant.

This is like a giant list of stupid arguments made by min/maxers.

• Like 4

Slow down there, friend. Do you have auto-level up on? Because I got DoC on my Pre-Pit Save, and she joined my party at level 1 with enough experience to get up to where my PC was.

And she didn't come with Weapon Focus of any kind.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

THIS.

I don't know what the usual arguments for min/maxers are, but only 10 Dexterity is just plain silly for a DPS rogue. It's almost ridiculous enough for me to jump on the total respec bandwagon. Thankfully, I can make an entire party and not have to use the pre-made companions. Edited by the_dog_days

First of all, calling people with other playstyles "stupid" is the kind of ignorant egocentricity I would assume you attribute to "min-maxers". So, pot calling kettle black.

Second, the arguments provided, beyond making sense from gameplay perspective (which is important to everyone, not just those pesky "min-maxers"), also make sense from the point of view of the game's setting and narrative:

a) Why would an accomplished killer like DoC have such weak attributes unsuited for killing?

b) Why would a construct body be so weak physically?

c) Why would DoC be unable to put on some armor? She has no trouble putting on helmets, boots, gauntlets and other items of clothing.

d) Why would a killer use farming implements in her criminal career, instead of tools actually designed for the job of manslaying? She doesn't give off the demented Leatherface vibe.

So, no, the developers really dropped the ball on this one. Shame, because her personality is fine.

I don't know what the usual arguments for min/maxers are, but only 10 Dexterity is just plain silly for a DPS rogue. It's almost ridiculous enough for me to jump on the total respec bandwagon. Thankfully, I can make an entire party and not have to use the pre-made companions.

Yeah, but custom adventurers have zero character depth. Respeccing pre-made companions is the way to go for me.

Edited by Lord Vicious

a) Why would an accomplished killer like DoC have such weak attributes unsuited for killing?

She's not in her original body?

b) Why would a construct body be so weak physically?

A construct body made out of bronze. With decorative breasts. I doubt it was built for durability.

c) Why would DoC be unable to put on some armor? She has no trouble putting on helmets, boots, gauntlets and other items of clothing.

Stiff joints? Or maybe that those decorative breasts are getting in the way?

d) Why would a killer use farming implements in her criminal career, instead of tools actually designed for the job of manslaying? She doesn't give off the demented Leatherface vibe.

Wasn't she a trapper before she started killing people? She's using what she knows how to use.
  • Like 2

THIS.

Easy tiger. 

Consider the following.

1) Yes, her armour isn't great, but with the white forge, and general enchantments, you can make it pretty decent by end game. 

2) I sort of agree here. Being non-living should give her a lot more benefits, not just immunity to disease and poison. I find it really funny that she can "sprain her ankle" in a cut-scene.

3) Can be re-trained. 

4) Not great for a min-maxer, but if they made perfect, god-like companions, not only would it be unrealistic roleplay wise, but it would make your player character look bad. Say your character was a rogue. You'd want your rogue to be better than the companion rogue, yes? 

• Like 1

to answer the question from the beginning.

i finished the white March today, when i first time talked to both companions - i talked to them so far as they joined me then i never looked back and never visited them so far.

iam sorry iam not impressed by a monk who sleeps in a barrel or a rogue who is a "ghost in the machine"-thing... i did not care about their both storeis

Maybe the Monk i would take for a while with me, but i love to have Eder, Pallegina, Aloth, Durance and Sagani with me, so there is no space for another party member

Edited by synfrei