About the White March soundtrack (Justin? Brandon?)

First Justin it is wonderful to finally have the White March music! \o/

That said ... Hang on, there's an Ultimate Edition? What Ultimate Edition? I only just got the Deluxe edition via the FIG (still prefer to say Kickstarter), which as YaK points out has problems with the track title tagging in the MP3 files; the track titles are cut short.

For instance:

track 51 is tagged "The White March - The White Fo" instead of "The White March - The White Forge".

track 50 is tagged "The White March - The Sea and" instead of "The White March - The Sea and Her Love (Gref's Rest Song)"

FLAC files are okay.

How does one get the "Ultimate Edition" of the PoE score? (I'm a backer of PoE 2 at the "Ultimate Digital Edition" level) 

PoE score: 26 Tracks

PoE Deluxe Edition: 53 Tracks (42 PoE + 11 White March)

PoE Ultimate Edition: 80 Tracks (69 PoE + 11 White March)

Edited by tarasis

the track titles are cut short.

There's a technical issue on why they're cut short: there's two way to tag MP3 files, called ID3v1 and ID3v2. Those can also be combined, so you can have a file that has both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

In short, ID3v1 has a limitation on the number of characters you can put in the title (and artist, and album) field, 30 characters [1]. Which is exactly your cut-off point there.

ID3v2 removes that limitation.

What does that mean for your files there? There's two possibilities:

1) Either, they're missing ID3v2 tags. In which case, that could/should be fixed on Obsidian's side.

2) Or your player doesn't support ID3v2 tags, or doesn't show them by default.

You might want to check your player or with an MP3 tagger that definitely supports ID3v2 (easytag, for example, should prefer ID3v2 over ID3v1 when reading files).

[1] Actually 30 bytes, but let's not go there.

• Like 1

the track titles are cut short.

There's a technical issue on why they're cut short: there's two way to tag MP3 files, called ID3v1 and ID3v2. Those can also be combined, so you can have a file that has both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

In short, ID3v1 has a limitation on the number of characters you can put in the title (and artist, and album) field, 30 characters [1]. Which is exactly your cut-off point there.

ID3v2 removes that limitation.

What does that mean for your files there? There's two possibilities:

1) Either, they're missing ID3v2 tags. In which case, that could/should be fixed on Obsidian's side.

2) Or your player doesn't support ID3v2 tags, or doesn't show them by default.

You might want to check your player or with an MP3 tagger that definitely supports ID3v2 (easytag, for example, should prefer ID3v2 over ID3v1 when reading files).

[1] Actually 30 bytes, but let's not go there.

Well aware of the ID3v1 vs v2 limitations :) (worked on a ID3 lib in ruby a _long_ time ago). Anyway the mp3 files have both ID3v1 and v2 tags.

in VLC you can see that the album title is "Pillars of Eternity (Deluxe Edition) [Original Soundtrack]" which is longer than the track title of "The White March - The White Ma"

Looking at the MP3 in a texteditor (good way to make Notepad hang for a while, but its what I had handy) and the ID3 are

id3v2:

ID3  =vTIT2       The White March - The White Ma TPE1      Justin E. Bell TPE2      Justin E. Bell TALB   <   Pillars of Eternity (Deluxe Edition) [Original Soundtrack] TRCK      52 TYER      2017 TCON      Soundtrack POPM      €TCOM      Justin E. Bell TCOP   K  ÿþ©   O b s i d i a n   E n t e r t a i n m e n t ,   I n c .   2 0 1 7   TPUB      Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. WOAR <snip be tarasis>

id3v1:

TAGThe White March - The White MaJustin E. Bell                Pillars of Eternity (Deluxe Ed2017Tagged by NCH Software       4
  • Like 1

Well, also adding the proper entries in musicbrainz or freedb for the Deluxe edition will do, or just having a proper tracklist, i was not asking for more work from your side, it's a minor thing.

• Like 1