About the White March soundtrack (Justin? Brandon?)

• 2 weeks later...

Uploaded the lovely Stalwart music here:

Hope Justin doesn't mind!

Very nice! It compares very favorably to Skeleton of a Town from IWDII.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I really like the Stalwart village track :) But disagree on the IWD 2 comparison, because imo, a good soundtrack should not be compared to IWD 2 ;) Zur's work failed spectacularly, to my ears at least: It annoyed me, or felt random at the best of times, and was mixed very badly: loud and clippy, no comparison to the nuanced work in the original IWD.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I really like the Stalwart village track :) But disagree on the IWD 2 comparison, because imo, a good soundtrack should not be compared to IWD 2 ;) Zur's work failed spectacularly, to my ears at least: It annoyed me, or felt random at the best of times, and was mixed very badly: loud and clippy, no comparison to the nuanced work in the original IWD.

To each his own. I liked this track specifically.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

• 4 months later...

A cool thing I discovered the other day (related to the WM music, but not about the compositions as such):

If you travel to the basement area of Grefs, you can hear a very muted, low-pass filtered version of the music being played upstairs, as it might sound coming through the floorboards into a real basement.  It's the little touches that this game nails so well.  I figure somebody had to set up that effect explicitly, and most players probably never explicitly notice it, but it adds ambiance and makes it feel like you really are in the basement of the inn with music being played upstairs. Kudos to whoever did that :).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are RPG musics that will never die... 10, or even 20 years later, you still listen to them fondly, and it still gives you goosebumps... I especially remember the tracks of IWD 1, the Deionarra's theme from Planescape, and the village theme from IWD 2 (posted by Leferd). While i did not like much IWD 1 (and even less IWD 2 which i could never play past act 1 because of boredom), the music was carved in my soul (and some of the maps, like the Severed Hand, so beautifully crafted i was in awe again 2 years ago).

I very much like details like the one demeisen reported, and tend to notice them since i take my time while playing (currently 96H, still in act 2, WM 1 not even tried yet). That's the details that make you think that maybe, one day, the sound will be given as much attention in the west as in Japan (Japanese are gods when it comes to sound ).

OK I've waited for all parts and last big patch to play White March and I'm glad I did but after hearing White March soundtrack for the first time I have to say IT's Fing great (sorry but emotions are faster than my brain right now) I'll do what Justin suggested (and I hope I manage that) but really shocked that this pieces are not include in the soundtrack. Its great on another level. I'm more shocked that It could be even better than Original Soundtrack.

Now I'm more excited what will Justin come up with for other PoE titles. Now I dont wana leave White March. :w00t:

Edited by ruzen
  • Like 1

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

OK I've waited for all parts and last big patch to play White March and I'm glad I did but after hearing White March soundtrack for the first time I have to say IT's Fing great (sorry but emotions are faster than my brain right now) I'll do what Justin suggested (and I hope I manage that) but really shocked that this pieces are not include in the soundtrack. Its great on another level. I'm more shocked that It could be even better than Original Soundtrack.

Now I'm more excited what will Justin come up with for other PoE titles. Now I dont wana leave White March. :w00t:

Wow, thank you ruzen for the very kind words!  At the end of the day it comes down to demand for us, which is why we just ended up releasing it for free on Sound Cloud.  

+1 to the theme of this thread.

The music in WM I've particularly noticed to be quite inspiring - a vaguely haunted and subdued version of the base game music (which is also excellent btw).  The Gref's Rest bard music mentioned in one of the earlier posts is absolutely fantastic, and on the related theme of nice touches, it's also audible just outside the building - which always makes me want to go inside..

It really is the music that allows a person to play a game for hours on end, and you guys have really done a fine job with Pillars.

cheers, great game..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while, but I have some news for you folks.  We released the White March soundtrack and some other goodies on Sound Cloud today.  Check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/obsidian-entertainment/sets

Hi Justin, first of all, thanks for your awesome work, you did an excellent job on the soundtracks.

I went to that soundcloud page, but I can't actually download or purchase the songs from there.  The link to the Amazon site results in a 404.  A seach of Amazon shows that the White March Soundtrack is not available at all on Amazon to purchase.  I tried Spotify and got the same results.  I can't (and won't) use iTunes, so that's a bust.  There is no way to even search the iTunes store without downloading their invasive software on my PC, and I'll never do that.

Can you look into why Amazon and other distributors don't carry it any longer?  If at all possible, I'd love  to be able to purchase it from the Google Play store, that's where all my music library is in the first place.

• Like 1

Great news, thank you, Justin! My programming has a chance of becoming even more epic! (yes, my programming is usually pretty epic by itself. I do pushups, fling my mouse and then click mid-air, type code while jumping from a plane. If the epic White March music plays in addition to the epic Pillars of Eternity music, epicness of the whole ordeal will be trough the roof.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I fell in love with PoE's soundtrack when I started playing. I'm so glad I found this thread discussing the tracks I didn't have in my music collection yet. I dug into my game files and recreated the WM soundtrack. Some don't match the Soundcloud versions exactly, but they're close enough.

Justin, I've got a few questions for you.

1. Is there a high-quality version of Track #4 (The White March Part II Trailer) somewhere? It's not in the game files.

2. There are tracks in the game files that do not appear on any of the listed soundtracks. Do you have official (or unofficial) names for these tracks:

• px1_mus_combat_h
  • px1_mus_combat_i_durgan_01
  • px1_mus_combat_i_durgan_02
  • px2_mus_amb_abbey_ext
  • px2_mus_amb_abbey_int

Thanks for creating such a beautiful soundscape for this game!

• Like 1

I'd just like to add to the general praise.... I used to spend hours having my character standing in the inn to listen to the bard and her beautiful song... But I think a soundtrack that definitely deserves even more praise is the flames that whisper cave. I am guilty of entering and rentering the cave several times in a row just to listen to the soundtrack kicking in.

Even more, the main menu soundtrack stopped me playing skyrim-dovakhiin-orchestra (now I am addicted to eora-theme though... Feels weird when everyone around me listens to popular music and I'm just sitting there listening to PoE soundtrack :p )

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I fell in love with PoE's soundtrack when I started playing. I'm so glad I found this thread discussing the tracks I didn't have in my music collection yet. I dug into my game files and recreated the WM soundtrack. Some don't match the Soundcloud versions exactly, but they're close enough.

Justin, I've got a few questions for you.

1. Is there a high-quality version of Track #4 (The White March Part II Trailer) somewhere? It's not in the game files.

2. There are tracks in the game files that do not appear on any of the listed soundtracks. Do you have official (or unofficial) names for these tracks:

• px1_mus_combat_h
  • px1_mus_combat_i_durgan_01
  • px1_mus_combat_i_durgan_02
  • px2_mus_amb_abbey_ext
  • px2_mus_amb_abbey_int

Thanks for creating such a beautiful soundscape for this game!

@developershins, thank you so much for your compliments and encouragement.  I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed PoE's soundtrack.  As for your first question, you're correct it isn't in the game files.  You can, however, listen to it here .

Regarding unofficial names for the tracks you mentioned, I only have a few names:

• px1_mus_combat_h - Ogre's and Eyeless
  • px1_mus_combat_i_durgan_01 and 02 - These are actually the same piece of music, just started at different points.  I call this "The Watcher Prevails" 
  • px2_mus_amb_abbey_ext - Abydon's Shell
  • px2_mus_amb_abbey_int - Abbey of the Fallen Moon

I'd just like to add to the general praise.... I used to spend hours having my character standing in the inn to listen to the bard and her beautiful song... But I think a soundtrack that definitely deserves even more praise is the flames that whisper cave. I am guilty of entering and rentering the cave several times in a row just to listen to the soundtrack kicking in.

Even more, the main menu soundtrack stopped me playing skyrim-dovakhiin-orchestra (now I am addicted to eora-theme though... Feels weird when everyone around me listens to popular music and I'm just sitting there listening to PoE soundtrack :p )

@Ben No.3 Thank you very much for this incredible compliment!  It's very gratifying to read comments such as yours and others like it.

• Like 2

I'd just like to add to the general praise....

+1

Great work on the PoE soundtrack. There are some tracks in the base game and the Stalwart theme in TWM that are just SO good!

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hi vulchor and Fenixp, we're looking into various ways we can distribute the White March soundtrack now.   Thanks for your patience and for your support!

I'd love to be able to buy it on Bandcamp, particularly so I can get a FLAC/ALAC version of the score. Hopefully one day it will happen.

• Like 1