About the White March soundtrack (Justin? Brandon?)

Since there are a few lovely new tracks included in the expansion, I wonder if it would be possible for you guys to update the soundtrack to the game (as downloadable on the backer site, STEAM, etc) with the new tracks? That'd be wonderful.

• Like 9

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Hey Starwars, Thanks for that, glad you enjoy the soundtrack!  

To answer your question, unfortunately we will not be updating the soundtrack with the expansion music.  That said, the .oggs for the soundtrack are bundled in the game data folder, so you can get them easily that way.  They'll probably be in a folder that looks like this:

data\win\PillarsOfEternity_data\data\audio\mus\px1_mus

or

px1\data\win\PillarsOfEternity_data\data\audio\mus\px1_mus

If you need a program to conver the oggs to mp3s, this one is pretty good and it's free

http://www.freemake.com/how_to/how_to_convert_ogg_to_mp3_free

• Like 5

Are the new pieces recorded with a live orchestra as well? I vaguely remember the Kickstarter meeting the orchestration goal, but that was for the main game.

Disclaimer: I have yet to play the game yet, so I haven't a clue what the music sounds like, and it would be nice if some of the important themes are orchestrated with live players.

One thing I noticed was the bard in Gref's Rest, I couldn't talk to her, said she was busy...  but I didn't hear her singing.  The second time I entered the inn she WAS singing... and it was great (reminded me of the bard and her incredible songs in DAI, like this one).  3rd time I entered, again she wasn't singing but when I exited the inn (just outside) I heard her again.  So yeah, something weird going on there I think, hope it gets cleared up.

Edited by sp3cw4r

One thing I noticed was the bard in Gref's Rest, I couldn't talk to her, said she was busy...  but I didn't hear her singing.  The second time I entered the inn she WAS singing... and it was great (reminded me of the bard and her incredible songs in DAI, like this one).  3rd time I entered, again she wasn't singing but when I exited the inn (just outside) I heard her again.  So yeah, something weird going on there I think, hope it gets cleared up.

Yeah, now that I think about it, this happens to me too. I actually haven't heard the Inn music yet. Something seems to be going on. The singing animation plays but there is no music coming out.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yeah, now that I think about it, this happens to me too. I actually haven't heard the Inn music yet. Something seems to be going on. The singing animation plays but there is no music coming out.

There's a singing animation? I hadn't noticed because the bard was always off-screen, for me. Was really startled by the bard song the first time. And I'm adding to the chorus here, good work on the music, it's amazing how it adds to the atmosphere.

I *think* there is. Like, it's pretty subtle, she's just kinda swaying back and forth. I think it's different than the normal idle animation but I could be wrong.

But yeah, I'm still not hearing any music there unfortunately.

Thanks folks for the kind words!

What you guys are describing sounds like a bug.  When the dancing animation triggers, the singing music should as well.  We'll take a look.

As for hearing the song outside the inn but not seeing the singer inside, there's no connection between the two unfortunately.  In other words that emitter will always trigger regardless if the singer is singing or not.  It would be awesome if we could tie the two together, but there's no way for us to track that without some messy scripting logic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Justin,

Awesome music with the expansion. I purchased the original Pillars soundtrack the day it came out on iTunes. Not sure if I read the previous posts correctly, but are you saying you will not be releasing the White March soundtrack for purchase?

I'm hoping you guys do. Waiting until Part 2 comes out seems the logical choice. Would love to purchase White March soundtrack from Part 1 and Part 2 combined!

• Like 1

Indeed, the music for the expansion is pretty rad. I especially enjoy the Stalwart theme.

Would be great the get the full White March soundtrack once part II is released.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't have any definitive news to share at the moment, but I can say that we're discussing ways to release the expansion soundtrack, and that it would most likely happen after part 2 is released.

Thanks again for your support and your kind words!  You guys are great.

• Like 6