Save looping V2, corrupted saves, non-functioning steam sync and more

nPHYN1T3

Question

When this game came out it was unplayable for me. Obsidian did nothing to address the issues I reported so I was unable to play. I've waited until V2 to try again but all the same issues are there.

- Saves are immediately corrupted on game exit causing save load to loop back to menu

- Clicking "Conintue" in the menu loads the encampment from the beginning of the game then pauses and will not unpause

- Game locks up the majority of times on launch and must be killed and relaunched. (I have windows hang reports but this also happens on Linux)

- Save states can be "fixed" by deleting the tempsavedata on both windows and linux every time you launch the game

- On Linux the cursor starts on the bottom left of maps regaurdless of where the characters are

- Game performance is absoluately terrible when running since V2...it was terrible at launch and it's worse now

- Steam Sync does not work

I've submitted bug reports, tickets, Obsidian has ignored all these issues. I have tickets that still have never been addressed since the second day of the games release! The only effort Obsidian has made was on these forms where a dev "fixed" my saves. I was then trolled about how I was thankless about this "help" meanwhile everyone ignored the reality the game just immediaetly corrupted the saves the dev fixed. Fixing saves does not address the problem of how they are becoming corrupted!

Fast forward to now and I've tried all my old tricks and new. The game is a fresh install since v2, I deleted it months ago after it was obvious Obsidian gave 0 ****s about dealing with issues. I nuked the registry entries, wiped all old directories in hopes of removing any and all traces of the old bugged out v1.X version of the game or its files. None of this has helped on Windows or Linux. The game is still a worthless mess and obviously I'd like to PLAY the damn thing. I didn't back this project so I could spend my days trolling the forms about Obsidians **** support, I just want to play the god damn thing!

Edited by nPHYN1T3

12 answers to this question

Hello, nPHYN1T3.  I'm sorry for your experience and frustration.  I would like to help you and would ask a few things of you in order to do so.  An output log, dxdiag, and saved game would be extremely helpful in digging into your issue.  Please make sure they are from your newest install as old data may or may not be helpful.  Thank you for your patience and support during these issues.

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Amazingly I got a response from my ticket (again, I have open tickets from game launch that I've never had a response to) and from you. I've assumbled the info both have requested but I'd prefer a way to mask the download link here. Normally I'd PM the link but I can't do that here.

Hello again.  I've downloaded your files and am able to load up random saves that you sent me.  Saving them again causes an issue however, as now I can't load any of them.  I'm creating a bug in our database for you.  I apologize for the inconvenience and than you for your support.

By chance are you using any kind of mods?  It doesn't appear that you are, but I have to ask.

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Hello again.  Thank you for the additional information.  The bug has been assigned to one of our programmers.  Hopefully we'll have some good news for you soon.  In the mean time thank you for your support and patience with this issue.

Hello nphyn1t3,

Just to get you some details on your issue. The saves you have provided have been corrupted. Once you load this corrupted data, it will break things within the game and potentially other saves.  Please delete all of your old saves, clean up your temp directories, verify your game cache, and start with fresh saves. Please make sure that Steam Sync is disabled so it does not download your old saves. Let me know if you are still having problems. 

Thank you for your support and patience.

Thanks for the captain obvious non-answer...and yes my patience wore thin the first time I tried to get help with this.

I had deleted all my old saves, temp directories, the game has been reinstalled fresh serveral times on 2 machines attempted with Steam Sync on and off, and are you serious you're telling me to start over AGAIN!? Is this Pillars of Eternally Starting Over? Why is this constantly the same BS over and over where you never address WHY the game corrupts the saves!? YOUR game/code creates the saves, it then corrupts the saves. In turn you tell me to do the same stuff over and over which I tried when the game launched and now with v2 rather than you guys address what is going wrong on your end to create this problem. Further more the saves work if I delete the tempsavedata folders pre-game launch, and I do EVERY launch because otherwise the game doesn't work!

Seriously this makes me so angry and frustrated in the first place but to have Obsidian repeatedly say "Just deleted all your ****, disable the features you want to use and start over." is completely unacceptable. It's a flat out cop out and what recourse do I have? Can I have a refund? Will you fix the game? I'm betting no on both. Which leaves with me hurl insults and rant, give up again untill V3, V4, until modders fix the massive **** up that is PoE, or simply accept I got ripped off and move on. I'm guessing I just got ripped off.

Let me know if you intend to address the list of problems I've reported but please stop wasting both our time with this check cache, reinstall, delete bull****.What are you Dell tech support. Have you tried rebooting? Have you tried a grilled cheese sandiwch? I've had all my issues confirmed by others on the steam and obsidian forms as well as devs but nothing has been done...well something was done, you made an expansion, card games and other bull**** irrelevant to the game we funded.

Edited by nPHYN1T3

We're happy to help, and I feel we have made multiple attempts to help you over the past few months. We have not had another report of this from any other customers (regarding the exact conditions you're seeing with save loop issues), and we've had multiple programmers try to figure out what's going on. We're happy to continue to help if you remain civil. These guys are genuinely trying to help you.

OBSIDIAN ORDER OF ETERNITY - Officially sponsored most generously by Pierre and SD!

Being told to do the same things that didn't work before over and over is infuriating. I'm not sure how my problem is unique as I've seen plenty of others who have posted about save corruption, deletion and various other issues with the game destroying various facets of saves. I've had others confirm the issues I found on Linux, the lockups & poor performance on Win/Lin. More so my saves work, so long as you always wipe the tempsavedata before hand. So why does the game continue to copy these files and butcher them from a working save? I can appreciate help but it feels more like patronizing and grasping at straws. Telling me to delete everything when I just did a clean install and whole new game is ridiculous.