Monk Unarmed Damage Progression in White March

I heard that monks gets +16 unarmed accuracy and +12 (?) Unarmed damage (without stength) at level 13-14.

Is it true ?

Basically that would make Monk's fists the most damaging weapons by a relevant margin (especially with good stength).

They would have less specials than enchanted weapons, but would be the "best in slot weapons" for pure damage purposes, as they were (arguably) in BG2 with their D20 damages.

In addition, with "Draining Mod" removed, weapon specials are also less critical for melee, so unarmed monk might now be simply the "best" choice for monks.

It would be a very useful information for the monk I'm planning to create. Especially because Unarmed is what monk "should be", and I really would like to play them this way.

Bonus question : Is it the same with Novice Suffering ? I heard it is scaling too.

My monk has higher accuracy and damage with unarmed than any dual wield-able weapons I've found. However, you can miss out on awesome enchantments not related to damage / accuracy such as DR reduction and attack speed (attack speed is a big one, don't want to spoil anything ;) ).

There are also new item(s) that buff unarmed damage.

The difference to dps seems minor to me but comparing the very best weapons with the very best enchantments, weapons probably still beat unarmed. I usually have a set of weapons that cover the enemies that are immune or resistant to blunt damage.

I am really happy with the improvements to monk viability in this expansion. Especially that delicious dichotomous soul.

EDIT:

level 14 monk

Edited by happybuddha
  • Like 1

Wait wait wait

They got rid of draining?

No its a bug.  When you pick up a draining weapon and log out...when you log back in the enchant will be gone.  The Devs know about it and say its high on their priority list or it has been fixed for the next build one of the two but I know they responded and know about it.

Have gun will travel.

Transcendsnt suffering was indeed +4 per 3 levels (+12 at level 12)

For damage, it was +2 at level 1, then +2 per 3 levels (+8 at level 12)

AND bonus damages were affected by strength (and none other damage bonus). So with 20 stength (which is not so exceptional as you can use items and/or spells), it was +10.4, which is equivalent to 83.3% bonus damage.

Basically, fists were subpar compared to superb weapon with lash & stuff, but not so much.

Enchanted weapons did not really scale with white march : they are still limited to 12 enchant points.

So, with possible exception of soulbound weapons, fists might now be better.

That's why I would like the numbers to update my maths ^^

Does anyone know the different frame rates for the weapons?

I've always been told that fists act as fast as fast weapons but do the base damage of average speed weapons. You'd need to take the weapon speeds into account to get a true comparison.

For sure : fists have the same attack speed as fast weapons and do 10-15 base damages.

Fast weapons have usually 9-13 damage range.

Normal weapons have 11-16 except sabers which are 13-16.

In other words, fists are the equivalent of saber for fast weapons : their intrinsic special is their better damage range.

Level 14 monk

21 Might (+33% dmg)

17 perception (+7 accuracy)

no additional + dmg or + accuracy  armor or buffs

Without +unarmed damage boots

fists = 27- 34 damage

accuracy = 103

Transcendent suffering 4 : +10.6 unarmed damage (base  8 ) +12 unarmed accuracy

That's what it says on my char sheet

Edited by happybuddha
  • Like 1

I heard that monks gets +16 unarmed accuracy and +12 (?) Unarmed damage (without stength) at level 13-14.

Is it true ?

Basically that would make Monk's fists the most damaging weapons by a relevant margin (especially with good stength).

They would have less specials than enchanted weapons, but would be the "best in slot weapons" for pure damage purposes, as they were (arguably) in BG2 with their D20 damages.

In addition, with "Draining Mod" removed, weapon specials are also less critical for melee, so unarmed monk might now be simply the "best" choice for monks.

It would be a very useful information for the monk I'm planning to create. Especially because Unarmed is what monk "should be", and I really would like to play them this way.

Bonus question : Is it the same with Novice Suffering ? I heard it is scaling too.

Monk fists have no special effects to them. It's fine.