Translation Errors / Missing Translations - French

ravenloft75

Question

I just reached the Sanatorium and I can't ignore anymore the weird translation of "Awakened" into "Réveillé" instead of "Eveillé". It's just stupid, no one would say that in french, and as I said, "Eveillé" or "Eveil" (awakening) is a more spiritual term.

I just reached the Sanatorium and I can't ignore anymore the weird translation of "Awakened" into "Réveillé" instead of "Eveillé". It's just stupid, no one would say that in french, and as I said, "Eveillé" or "Eveil" (awakening) is a more spiritual term.

Hi fabc, already fixed on Github.

• Like 1

Hello,

I found a mistake in the conversation with the throne in the Caen Nua castle. When we ask : "what does it mean to be the master of Caen Nua?"
Or in French: "qu'est ce que cela signifie d'être le maître de Caen Nua?"

When she answer, the word : " entretenir", is written : "entretnir" ... Small mistake, but still...

And then, after that, when we speak with Eder after Maerwald death, the third answer when we say that "I'm not going to judge you" (sorry I don't know the exact sentence)

It's written in French : "Je ne suis pas du à juger." instead of : "je ne suis pas du genre à juger."   ; one word is missing !

There are sometimes a whole part of the sentences missing, like nearly half the sentence. I should have taken notes about this, so i could post more details... Damn. Still, for now, i play in english version. I have a really hard time (especially understanding Durance: hours of struggling), but i still understand better than with french text.

True Isaya, the paper with the clue about the bells in Eothas temple  is badly translated. I saw it, but fortunately, it made more sense in english.

Want to point out another key translation that i feel is odd. "The Dozens" (Defiance Bay) is translated, i think, by "Les Douzaines". oO "Hey my seller fellow, i want a dozen eggs for i'm going to cook a tasty cake for grand'ma!" Noooo...  this kind of naming can be ok in english, but iit just sounds weird in french in my opinion. So maybe "les Douzes" or "Les Disciples des Douzes" or whatever, but not "Les Douzaines".

I think that chosing between english or french wording for places should be better than translating (oddly) half of them, and keeping the rest in english. Some examples: "La Baie du Défi" sounds really better when called "Defiance Bay" but if translated, it would be better imo to translate it by "La Baie des Défis", "La Vallée Dorée" seems ridiculous and should be called "Val Doré", wich is nicer (i think). Concerning other areas, you can't keep the english name for "Valewood" and chose a french one for "Prairie noire" (which i would rename by "Près brûlés" personally). I would translate "Valewood" by "Bois du Val" (according to "Val Doré", which is near heading south), "Esternwood" by "Bois de l'Est" (even if this is not East...). "Woodend Plains" should be translated by "Plaines Boisées" rather than "Plaines dégagées" (which sounds stupid).

I have a hard time with Defiance Bay areas, since "First Fires" could be easily translated (oddly, by "Premiers Feux" :s), which is not the case for Copperlane ('"La Voie cuivrée"? oO) or Brackenbury ("Fougères"? oO). A possible workaround for ugly french translations of these areas is to remember Baldur's Gate 2, and adding "District" in the name. >> "District de la Voie Cuivrée", "District de Fougères", "District des Premiers Feux", and so on... Would add a classy touch, but still not really satisfying to me. There is the same kind of inconsistent mixed tranlations in "Twin Elms".

It is a really difficult game to translate, but still...

In the end, you say that the localizations are updated for the game in patches Isaya? I thought the translation was done, and that's it.

Edited by Abel

Sorry for the late reply Abel.

Regarding the updates to the French translation, I didn't check in detail what was changed in V1.0.3 compared to V1.0.2. I noticed they had fixed one minor mistake I found in a text. But I didn't take the risk to spoil the game by watching too closely.

However lefreut gave a feedback in this message.

For V1.0.3, according to lefreut there were changes in the combat log, although he prefered his own changes.

In the V1.0.4 update, there are new texts but they are empty in French. I don't know what these new texts are for.

Déjà posté sur la CC, je reposte dans ce topic qui se morfond.

J'ai lu que les fichiers de textes du jeu étaient sous forme xml, situés dans "Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\fr" .

Je ne compte pas jouer au jeu avant cet hiver (disons vers octobre) et j'ai encore pas mal de labeur d'autres relectures / analyse à finaliser avant ça, mais j'aimerais savoir :
- si ça vous paraît intéressant de relire les textes xml directement (pour disons corriger les fautes de frappe + conjuguaison / grammaire)
- de combien de textes il est question (par rapport au NPC Project par ex)
- si cela sera facile pour Lefreut ou Nel de comparer les fichiers bruts relus, puis d'intégrer les corrections dans github

Cant EDIT:  Translation according to Bing:

Already posted on the CC, I reposte in this topic who languishes.

I read that the game text files were as XML, located in "Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\fr".

I do not intend to play the game before this winter (say around October) and I still have lot of work of other reviews /analysis to be finalized before that, but I would like to know:
-If it sounds interesting to re-read texts xml directly (for say correct typos + conjugation / grammar)
-from how many texts it comes (from the NPC Project by ex)
-If it will be easy to Lefreut or Nel compare raw files replayed, and integrate corrections into github

Hello,

The 'Most Powerful Enemy Defeated' string in the character sheet use the gender of the main character instead of the gender of the monster defeated.

Here is an archive with two saves (one with a male character, one with a female) just before a battle with the same enemy. Kill it and look at the 'Most Powerful Enemy Defeated' entry with the game set to French. The game will display the male string for one save and the female string for the other even if in both the same enemy was killed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i5j2l9nnl536dh/poe-gender.zip?dl=0

French localizations here.

French localization thread here.

Super travail de la communauté, bravo, je viens de tester les modifs avec le patch beta 2.0, ca a l'air de fonctionner ?

Sinon j'ai remarqué : vous avez trouvé un objet : ingrédientsx (avec un x)

Et je copie colle un détail que j'avais mis sur le bug de l'anneau de la serveuse :

Super community work, bravo, I just tested the mods with beta 2.0 patch, ca looks to operate?

Otherwise I noticed: you have found an object: ingredientsx (with an x)

And I copy pastes a detail I had put on the bug of the ring of the waitress:

Another side note is a possible translation mistake > in the game in french, its name is "anneau de la serveuse" which is referring specifically to a female bartender/waitress

In the description, the reference is for a man (Erol), so it can be ok if it is actually owned by a girl (I found it in a chest/box), but if owned by a man or referring to Erol of Levi, it should be "anneau du serveur" or another male character like "tenancier" (more like the owner of the place) or "fondateur" (founder)  if referring to Erol creating this place > I think it would ring (uh uh) better in french

But it's some small detail original.gif

J'essaierai de poster ce que je trouve "I will try to post what I find" wink.png

Cant EDIT: Courtesy of Bing Translator as per board policy.

Super travail de la communauté, bravo, je viens de tester les modifs avec le patch beta 2.0, ca a l'air de fonctionner ?

Sinon j'ai remarqué : vous avez trouvé un objet : ingrédientsx (avec un x)

La correction est prévue pour la version 1.6. Elle va marcher avec la beta mais il y aura des textes manquants et des incohérences comme cet exemple.

J'ai une mise à jour pour la 2.0 (qui n'aura pas ce problème) que je compte sortir quand la version finale sera disponible.

Another side note is a possible translation mistake > in the game in french, its name is "anneau de la serveuse" which is referring specifically to a female bartender/waitress

In the description, the reference is for a man (Erol), so it can be ok if it is actually owned by a girl (I found it in a chest/box), but if owned by a man or referring to Erol of Levi, it should be "anneau du serveur" or another male character like "tenancier" (more like the owner of the place) or "fondateur" (founder)  if referring to Erol creating this place > I think it would ring (uh uh) better in french

But it's some small detail original.gif

Merci pour ce retour, je vais regarder :)

Edited by lefreut

J'ai fait un run Triple Crown Solo y'a environ 1 mois avec le français corrigé et ça m'avait semblé bien tourner.

Un truc qui m'avait semblé bizarre par contre c'est le terme "vessel" qui apparaissait toujours traduit comme "vaisseau" alors que je trouvais que c'était un des pires non-sens du jeu...

Vaisseau n'est pas si mauvais. Il s'agit du sens "Coupe" comme l'indique le Littré (fin de la page : http://dictionnaire.sensagent.com/vaisseau/fr-fr/ )

C'est peut être un peu viellot et littéraire mais moi j'aime bien.

Si vous voulez le remplacer par "Navire", ca me va aussi. J'aime bien cette métaphore.

Il manque un lien vers vos fichiers pour qu'un noob comme moi puisse en profiter ! :)

Edited by Willow

Je profite de ce topic pour signaler quelques coquilles. Je fais actuellement un lets play youtube sur ce jeu donc c'est la bonne occasion : p

J'ai remarqué que pour l'énigme des cloches (Temple Eothas), un bout de parchemin indice indique :

"Struck" en anglais.

En français, c'est traduit "Bloqué". Bloquer une cloche... Bizarre.

Je le signal, il me semble que ça puisse être une erreur. A confirmer^^.

EDIT : Je rajoute aussi l'histoire des SHADE et SHADOWS dans ce même temple. Je ne sais pas si ça été corrigé, mais en français ça donnait "OMBRE" et "OMBRE". Ce qui peut être problématique.

Edited by theBalthazar

J'ai remarqué que pour l'énigme des cloches (Temple Eothas), un bout de parchemin indice indique :

"Struck" en anglais.

J'imagine que le traducteur a dû confondre "stuck" = coincé, bloqué       avec "struck" = frappé 

Bonjour,

deflection.jpg

Deflection is "Déviation" in french. But now, Perception offer a different bonus.

Perception notes is false with Deflection -7. (Now, Accuracy -7 "Précision -7" in french)

C'est corrigé dans fr-fixed.

Je profite de ce topic pour signaler quelques coquilles. Je fais actuellement un lets play youtube sur ce jeu donc c'est la bonne occasion : p

"Struck" en anglais.

EDIT : Je rajoute aussi l'histoire des SHADE et SHADOWS dans ce même temple. Je ne sais pas si ça été corrigé, mais en français ça donnait "OMBRE" et "OMBRE". Ce qui peut être problématique.

C'est corrigé dans fr-fixed et dans le patch 2.0 pour la traduction officielle.

FRENCH :

Dans la version 3.0, nous avons une inversion étrange des valeurs minimales et maximales ! C'est très étrange !

Sincèrement j'ai l'impression que la trad bouge et qu'il y a de nouveaux artefacts négatifs à chaque MAJ...

ENGLISH :

In version 3.0, we have a strange inversion of the valor of the damage min and max.

POE 3.0 FR : 

403298PILLARS3.png

Edited by theBalthazar

Cool que ce sujet soit encore actif ! Je ne savais pas trop comment contacter l'auteur de la trad via GitHub :)

Lors de la création de perso, description de la stat "Perception" :

FR - Corrigé : Au combat, elle agit sur la précision, les propriétés défensives déviation et réflexes et confère un bonus d'interruption.

Anglais : In combat, it contributes to Accuracy, the Reflex defense and grants a bonus to Interrupt.

Ce qui est tout de suite vachement moins intéressant pour un build tank ;(

Beau boulot sinon ! Je suis toujours autant horrifié de la trad vessel en vaisseau (lobbyiste convaincu inside :biggrin: ) mais bon, je m'en accommoderai...

Dans la quête 'L'héritier de Caed Nua' il y a une petite coquille :

'Sapphire' apparait sous sa forme anglaise non traduite, en français c'est 'saphir'

C'est corrigé, merci.

Cool que ce sujet soit encore actif ! Je ne savais pas trop comment contacter l'auteur de la trad via GitHub :)

Tu peux ouvrir des Issues ou des Pull requests sur le dépôt si tu as un compte sur GitHub. Mais les messages dans ce topic sont très bien aussi :)

Lors de la création de perso, description de la stat "Perception" :

FR - Corrigé : Au combat, elle agit sur la précision, les propriétés défensives déviation et réflexes et confère un bonus d'interruption.

Anglais : In combat, it contributes to Accuracy, the Reflex defense and grants a bonus to Interrupt.

Ce qui est tout de suite vachement moins intéressant pour un build tank ;(

C'est corrigé, merci.