Translation Errors / Missing Translations - French

ravenloft75

Question

Hello there,

Just for info, my native language is French and I'm quite fluent in English due to my job.

I first launched the game. At first I was surprised that it was starting in French, but I probably had configured Steam that way, I don't remember: I last played on this computer some 6 months ago. I didn't mind and I even thought "nice, they're having a French version, this is really great".

Then I create a new game and I was listening to the voice speaking in English, nice story, then my eyes came back on the screen and I saw that there was some text scrolling in French. It was the same text that was on the audio, but translated. Or I wish I could name this a translation...The text was awful in French. There was no typo, no grammar issue, no. Nothing like that. But the meaning was completely lost in translation.

In short, the text was translated word by word. There was a sentence about sky and clues, which was perfectly understandable while listening, but when read in French it had lost half of its meaning. After a few sentences like that, I simply couldn't read anything anymore and I just enjoyed hearing the story being told in English.

A bit later, during some load screen, there was an informative text about "survival". That sentence also made absolutely no sense because of incorrect grammar this time.

Then only I came to the Character Creation screen. And that lost me. The descriptions of the races were awful in French. I had to translate word by word back in English to understand what was meant. After that, all I did was close the application and I started this topic. I want to enjoy the game, but the translation is destroying everything.

If Obsidian wants to make a proper release in French, I suggest to take the all the English and the French texts and give those to a competent and invested translation studio in order to fix this.

I'll now find a way in Steam to play this game in English, which is what I wanted in the first place. I won't even bother anymore to go further in French. I'm sure I'll really enjoy the game this way ;)

Sorry if this seems like a rant but my hopes are really up for this game and those bad texts just put them really down. I'm sure the English version won't :-)

• Like 4

The cipher specific ressource "Focus" has been translated "Concentration" and therefore shares the same name as the defensive stat against interrupts. It can leads to confusion, especially with the bonus given by the RES attribute.

I will come back later with more information on the following subjects:

In the combat log, hits/grazes/miss have directly been translated in their nominal form, but in french, the verb and the noun are different.

The bonus from items and talents have the unecessary/missplaced preposition "de" in the tooltips.

Edited by DdsT

There is a lot of errors in the French translation. Some we found :

• "Wicht" is translated by "Sorcière" which is "Witch" in English. Wicht seems to be a German word, in my humble opinion, it shouldn't be translated and stay "Wicht" in French.
  • "Toll" is translated by "Péage" in a dialog at the beginning of the game, it should be "Glas" or"Cloche", "payage" has no meaning there.
  • "Stash" is translated by "Planque", it doesn't feel right in game. Something like "Réserve", "Malle" or "Coffre" should be better.
  • "Enchant" is not translated.
  • "Camping" is translated by "Camping", it's not the right word, it should be "Campement"
  • "Practical Stonework" is translated by "Ouvrages de pierre pragmatiques"... It doesn't mean anything. Maybe "fonctionnels" instead of "pragmatiques".
  • In the save menus "Act" is translated by "Jouer", it should be "Acte"
  • "Gilded Vale" is translated by "La Vallée dorée". It's not a wrong translation, but for a village "Val doré" would be a better translation.
  • "Watcher" is translated by "Gardien", in the context of the game, it's close but not exactly the same thing. "Veilleur" sounds better.
  • "Focus" is translated by "Concentration". It's right but there is another term in the game called "Concentration", it's quite confusing.
  • "Shade" and "Shadows" are both translated by the same word : "Ombre".

Also the damage types are feeling totally wrong. "Ecraser de dégâts", "Frapper de dégâts" is totally wrong in French.
It should be something like "Dégats contondants" or "Dégats éléctriques". Therefore :

• "Slashing" should be "Tranchant" not "Entailler"
  • "Piercing" should be "Perforants" not "Perforer"
  • "Crushing" should be "Contondant" not "Ecraser"
  • "Shock" should be "Electrique" not "Frapper" !
  • "Burn" should be "de Brulure" or "de Feu" not "Bruler"
  • "Freeze" should be "de Froid" or "de Gel" not "Geler"
  • "Corode" should be "de corrosion" not "Corroder"

Finally, there is a lot of typos in the game. Conjugation, spelling. There is also an inconstancy in the use of uppercase : sometimes a name is "Foo bar" (which is the right way in French) and sometimes it's "Foo Bar".

This is the first pass to come. :p

Edited by L'invité
  • Like 3

Ho and "Baie du défi" doesn't sounds right.
If I understand correctly "Defiance Bay" is where Dirwood gained its independance from Aedyr, and the name reflect that.

It should be something more like "Baie de l'insurrection". 

It seems that no quality check has been performed regarding the correct implementation of the translated strings in-game. My guess is that the string tokens have been translated with no in-game context, the best example being the combat log.

For dialogs, books, journal entries etc. it is not really a problem, as the person just have to translate the text and it will be displayed as it is. There might be some translations errors, depending on the translation skills, but most of the books and dialogs are OK (quality-wise, compared to what we find in the current game industry).

The problematic part are the short strings, especially those with variables. Let's take for instance a typical combat log sentence:
Eder hits Shade for 10 damage.
This is what is displayed in-game. The game actually processes the following sentence (not 100% true but it looks almost the same):
%character1% %action% %character2% for %damagenumber% %damagetype%
The game picks the variable in a list of predefined strings based on the in-game events and calculations.

Now what does a translator see if he does not play the game? Only this list of variable without context. For instance, he will have a list of %action% to translate: hits, grazes, misses... In english those words are twofolds:
-the plural form of a noun
-the third person singular of a verb (which is used in the combat log)
You cannot do that in french. The translator has chosen the nouns instead the verbs, which does make the combat log sentence incorrect.

Another possible cause whould be that the game uses the both meaning of the strings, for instance in the "converts grazes to hits" sentence. Then the translator cannot do anything and the correction shall occur on the developper side (by adding more variables). But that's just an assumption.

Anyway, it is a pity that the end of the quality process have to be carried out by the community  :(  Most of those errors can be easely avoided if you gives enough time to someone in the translation team to see if the in-game implementation is correct.

En français car ça va être un peu long :

tu peux accéder aux stringtable françaises dans le dossier de localisation. Ce sont des fichiers XML que tu peux ouvrir et modifier avec n'importe quel éditeur de texte, ils ne sont pas protégés.

Et tu te rendra compte que tu as en bonne partie raison. La chaine de caractère "Frapper de dégâts" par exemple est stockée sous 2 formes différentes :

• la phrase utiliser pour la déscription du type de dégat : "{0} de dégats" (ou le {0} est le type de dégât).
  • et le type de dégat : "Frapper"

C'est en combinant (comme tu le pensais) ces deux phrases que tu obtiens la description final.

Alors oui on peut facilement changer les phrases en "Dégâts {0} et "Frapper" par "Electriques" (parce qu'ils ont traduit Shock par frapper en plus !), comme je le propose en OP.

Le problème qui se pose c'est que ce terme "Electriques" risque d'être utilisé à d'autre endroits du texte... Et la ça devient un peu problématique car selon le contexte on va vouloir un nom, un verbe à l'infinitif, etc. La où ça ne pose pas trop de problème en Anglais car Shock convient dans tous les contextes.

Donc c'est pas forcément si simple à changer en fait. C'est presque sûr qu'on ne trouvera pas de solution parfaite pour ce problème... Mais par contre je suis sûr qu'on peut trouver bien mieux que ce qu'on a actuellement. ;)

Then I create a new game and I was listening to the voice speaking in English, nice story, then my eyes came back on the screen and I saw that there was some text scrolling in French. It was the same text that was on the audio, but translated. Or I wish I could name this a translation...The text was awful in French. There was no typo, no grammar issue, no. Nothing like that. But the meaning was completely lost in translation.

In short, the text was translated word by word. There was a sentence about sky and clues, which was perfectly understandable while listening, but when read in French it had lost half of its meaning. After a few sentences like that, I simply couldn't read anything anymore and I just enjoyed hearing the story being told in English.

A bit later, during some load screen, there was an informative text about "survival". That sentence also made absolutely no sense because of incorrect grammar this time.

Then only I came to the Character Creation screen. And that lost me. The descriptions of the races were awful in French. I had to translate word by word back in English to understand what was meant. After that, all I did was close the application and I started this topic. I want to enjoy the game, but the translation is destroying everything.

I totally agree with ogregoire. You guys made a totally awesome game but the (very) bad French translation wrecks the narrative experience. It's really a shame, especially when we see how great your English storytelling is.

I imagine how overwhelming it is to translate so many lines but still, having it checked by a native French professional would have been useful.

We may be able to notify you all the errors related to stats/characters sheets, but I honestly think there are too many mistakes in the "storytelling" and dialogue texts. It would take too much time & create too many pages on this thread to bring back perfect sense to it.

The only perfect solution would be to send all the textual files you made to a professional company then patch the whole game =S.

I have the chance to understand written and spoken English so I put everything in English but I wonder how non-English speaking French fellows feel about those obvious mistakes.

And no offense, I am VERY happy to play PoE :yes:.

PS: I apologize for not being word-perfect in English. (Ooh the irony :w00t: ) 

Edited by Gofrette

"Don the hood and mask" shouldn't be translated by "Donnez le capuchon et le masque.", "don" is a false friend.
It should be something like "Mettre le capuchon et le masque" or "Enfiler le capuchon et le masque". (at infinitive for consistency reasons)

Bonsoir,

J'ai regroupé différentes corrections (venant de ce topic ou de ma partie en cours) concernant la traduction fr dans un zip (disponible ici =>

http://lefreut.free.fr/fr.zip). J'ai notamment essayé d'améliorer l'affichage du log de combat. Ce n'est pas parfait ni complet. N'hésitez pas à faire vos retours :)

A décompresser dans PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized. Penser à faire une sauvegarde du repertoire fr, on ne sait jamais.

J'ai aussi mis à disposition un diff si vous voulez regarder les modifications apportés sans modifier le jeu => http://lefreut.free.fr/fr.diff.

• Like 1

French localizations here.

French localization thread here.

Sur canardpc on essaye de faire une recherche collaborative (http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/96901-Pillars-of-Eternity-Mods-et-Opération-Traduction)

J'essaye de reporter tout ce qu'on y trouve ici. :)

On utilise une feuille excel pour recenser tout ce qu'on trouve :https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-EZDsR8LzeivYQnULthRfmMgTow_wnaTDNGeUsBxTkE/edit#gid=0

Edited by L'invité

Sur canardpc on essaye de faire une recherche collaborative (http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/96901-Pillars-of-Eternity-Mods-et-Opération-Traduction)

On utilise une feuille excel pour recenser tout ce qu'on trouve :https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-EZDsR8LzeivYQnULthRfmMgTow_wnaTDNGeUsBxTkE/edit#gid=0

Quand j'aurais un peu de temps, je vais essayer de mettre en place un github pour voir plus facilement les corrections que j'ai déjà puis j'utiliserais ce qu'il y a dans la feuille excel.

Quand j'aurais un peu de temps, je vais essayer de mettre en place un github pour voir plus facilement les corrections que j'ai déjà puis j'utiliserais ce qu'il y a dans la feuille excel.

Yep, j'avais proposé l'idée du github aussi sur CPC.

Mais pas avant d'avoir terminé le jeu, je veux pas être spoilé.  :w00t:

Edited by L'invité

Hi There, While Being a Total **** with my rogue, Slaughtering Religious people in Dyrford Ruins i've Encountered a HUGE translation mistake :

Area : Dyrford Ruins

Quest Related : (no spoil) (the one related to Dryford Ruins)

NPC : Wymund

the mistake translated in english ( in french the negation is missing causing this) : Do it, i will prevent you from doing it !

a984b5fdcffb2d5279e8af70db041cb2.png

Right French Sentence :  "Faites-le, [....] je ne vous en empêcherai pas."

Why Is it Important ? Because with this mistake you have 2 answer who mean the same thing when you want them to be opposit :p

With pleasure

The Grave I

Juste une question, ton commit initial, c'est bien la traduction de base sans modif ?

Et sinon juste un détail : la traduction de péage en glas et pas exacte (vu que glas c'est une série de coup de cloche) du coup "coup" est plus approprié. :)

Et j'en ai trouvé une autre : dans la tour de La Baie : 

"Allez au fond" -> "Allez en bas" (c'est pour une option pour allez au rdc de la tour).

Edited by L'invité

Juste une question, ton commit initial, c'est bien la traduction de base sans modif ?

Oui :)

Je vu les discussions sur les logs de combat sur CPC. J'ai déjà fait des changements à ce sujet, ce n'est pas parfait ni terminés mais ça devrait rendre les logs lisibles.

Il faudrait que je m'inscrive sur CPC pour discuter de ces changements.

• Like 1

Oui :)

Je vu les discussions sur les logs de combat sur CPC. J'ai déjà fait des changements à ce sujet, ce n'est pas parfait ni terminés mais ça devrait rendre les logs lisibles.

Il faudrait que je m'inscrive sur CPC pour discuter de ces changements.

J'ai essayé vite fait hier, c'est déjà bien plus lisible. :)

Salut Lefreut,

Au niveau de ton Github, comment Obsidian voit les choses d'un point de vue légal ? Est-ce qu'ils autorisent les fan-translations ?

Je dois avouer que j'en ai aucune idée. Est-ce que quelqu'un connait la position d'Obsidian à ce sujet ? Ou qui je pourrais contacter pour avoir une réponse ?

Since 1.03 missing translation :

screenshot_99.jpg

screenshot_98.jpg

Edited by BillyCorgan

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★