Had another gamebreaking bug today

Lay on hands increased every time i got hit. It was above 2000 after a while, big jumps.

Ive had so many gamebreaking bugs in this game since release.

My patience is, after almost half a year, at an end.

Obsidian just cant do it. They are like a renovator that never finishes his ideas but just starts on the next cool idea.

I will never buy another obsidian title (except maybe if they get to do another fallout)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

Got to be honest, I don't think I've ever noticed a bug in PoE. Touch wood.

I don't actually remember any or many in BG, BG2, IWD, et all - despite constantly being told by members of the PCmasterrace that the Infinity Engine games were "like, so buggy."

Maybe I'm just freakishly lucky.

• Like 6

PoE was never that horribly buggy. It had a normal release with a normal amount of bugs. Now the expansion is having a normal release with a normal amount of bugs.

Yes, KOTOR II was *****ed*. Yes, NWN II is a hot mess. I understand where they got their reputation--there were very real problems.

But the last 3 games that I've played from Obsidian have been damn near bug-free.

• Like 5

First it had bugs that made it so you got stuck in dialogue.

Then it had bugs that made several spells gamebreaking because they dealt way more damage than intended.

Then it had not checking against defenses with additional effect so vampires auto charmed if they hit you (defelction) even if you had high will.

Then it had broken cutscenes (like with the trial agaibst animancy)

Then it had....

I could say more but why? Tbh even kotor2 that was buggy as hell or new vegas that had double defense on all enemies on pc wasnt this bad.

Its half a year in and still:

Lay on hands can heal for thousands, deprive the unworthy still allows no save for enemies etc

The game is such a disappointment.

Never again an obsidian title.

And that is just a tiny amount of the bugs.

Pet being lost forever, enemies having hundreds of deflection, just log into bug pages and read about hundreds upon hundreds of issues.

They create new issues faster than they fix stuff.

And many of the bugs i talked about such as deprive the unworthy has survived many updates. 1.6, 2.0 etc

Wake up and see that obsidian just cant get it right

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I could say more but why? Tbh even kotor2 that was buggy as hell

Hyperbole spotted. KOTOR II was *literally* an incomplete game, as in they never finished it and Lucas Arts forced them to put out a product that was still in alpha. KOTOR II crashed so often that had to put out a patch *before it would run*.

Hyperbole spotted. KOTOR II was *literally* an incomplete game, as in they never finished it and Lucas Arts forced them to put out a product that was still in alpha. KOTOR II crashed so often that had to put out a patch *before it would run*.

I think you're thinking about another game (probably from Troika). KOTOR 2 was incomplete but what was there wasn't actually all that buggy.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think the guys at Obsidian fix bugs at an uncanny speed.

A game with an underlying system as complex as PoE is prone to having many bugs, because there are so many things going on at once under the hood. It's just the name of the game (pun unintended.) They've been doing an outstanding job rolling out patches so far, considering they're a pretty small team and they've delivered an expansion 6 months after the game released.

Sure, there are still bugs across the board but there's also a patch coming next week (which is pretty fast; one week after the expansion released.)

All in all, I am pleased with their work and confident that outstanding bugs will get fixed.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think you're thinking about another game (probably from Troika). KOTOR 2 was incomplete but what was there wasn't actually all that buggy.

No, no I'm not. You are thinking of VtM:B, which was rushed out by Troika prior to the company going bankrupt and disappearing.

KOTOR II, by Obsidian, is literally an incomplete game. LucasArts literally forced them to ship it in alpha--the last 1/4 of the game is entirely unfinished, just wrapping the plot with literally no final polish of any sort. And the game as a whole, straight out of box with no patches whatsoever, literally doesn't run. There is a nearly 100% crash-to-desktop bug with the Ebon Hawk near the beginning, when playing out of the box unpatched KOTOR II. The whole game is littered with unfinished quests, unfinished textures, horrid clipping, random crashes, memory leaks. There's two whole planets, almost finished but not-functional and never activated, buried in the base code.

KOTOR II, along with VtM:B and NWN 2, are the three best examples I can ever point out about amazing, high-quality, fantastic games that almost entirely ruined by being more bug than game.

Edited by Katarack21

That doesn't match my memory of the game. Incomplete, yes. Buggy as in crash-prone and unplayable? No.

I don't know what to tell you. Either you're misremembering or you are one lucky son of a bitch, or you didn't play the original 2005 version unpatched out of the box. The game is legendary for it's bugs. Almost all of the reviews from the era mention it; IGN said "Playing through the entire story, we've had the game crash about four or five times." and gamespy called it "one of the best stories I've seen this year embedded in a mess of bugs." Almost anybody you talk to will talk about remember crashing when trying to leave the Fuel Depot.

Hell, you can look up forum posts from 2005 with people going "This game buggy as hell for anybody else?" literally by the thousands; it makes the whole PoE forum look like a childs' sandbox. Also, even back then they were saying Bioware was dead and their most recent game sucked...all the old posts are about how Dragon Age will save the company from the Jade Empire failure. :p

Edited by Katarack21

KOTOR II, by Obsidian, is literally an incomplete game.

You should play it, now that it's officially finished. Feels unbreakable. 

I mean beyond the rare disappearing dialogue demon ... banished always by a reload, but it does happen. I've enjoyed three complete play-throughs since the end of July.

All Stop. On Screen.

Have you tried reporting the bugs you find? 

Complaining here in this forum is not how you do it. You should fill a bug report so they can fix it.

Of course he didn't. He even made a thread in the wrong section of the forum instead of bug forum (tech issues section).

And that is just a tiny amount of the bugs.

Pet being lost forever, enemies having hundreds of deflection, just log into bug pages and read about hundreds upon hundreds of issues.

They create new issues faster than they fix stuff.

And many of the bugs i talked about such as deprive the unworthy has survived many updates. 1.6, 2.0 etc

Wake up and see that obsidian just cant get it right

Wake up and understand that a new exp has been released and bugs happen.

Edited by Killyox

KOTOR II, by Obsidian, is literally an incomplete game.

You should play it, now that it's officially finished. Feels unbreakable. 

I mean beyond the rare disappearing dialogue demon ... banished always by a reload, but it does happen. I've enjoyed three complete play-throughs since the end of July.

True facts. The game is *AMAZING*, by the way. KOTOR II is one of the best RPG's I've ever played in my life. Don't mistake my acknowledgement of it's problems for dislike.

KOTOR II is one of my favorite goddamn games. It's so ****ing dark and moody, and brings actual adult concepts of moral shading to the Star Wars universe. VtM:B, since all the fan patches and whatnot have gotten done, is also a really amazing game and I encourage it to be played by anybody who has not done so.

Edited by Katarack21

Gonna nitpick a bit but you don't say "true facts". You just say "facts"  :p Being true is what makes a fact. Ok, gonna slink back into my hole :)

No, no, no. You see, a "fact" is something that's objectively true. A "true fact" is something that you know is true because I told you so.

Not the same thing. ;)

Tennisgolfboll *did* make a report about this bug. This thread is really more about bugs in general rather than a duplicate of his bug report. Since we're pretty easy going about folks venting here on these boards, it's all good. Remember, you can bash the game and devs all day long. You can bash specific designers within reason. ...But you can't bash each other at all. :Cant's friendly grin icon:

I agree with Katarack that Obsidz has had some issues with bugs in past games, but PoE has been pretty much run of the mill in terms of bugs for me. New Vegas, for such a huge game, was actually pretty bug free on my system, although I think the gamebryo engine has its shortcomings. At least a few.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

just log into bug pages and read about hundreds upon hundreds of issues

Pretty common on forums. Just open any ANY random Steam game's forums... you'd think all games are busted. Just so many pages of people crashing on their toaster.

Heck, open TSL's, the one I am most accustomed to. You will easily find hundred's of threads about crashes, bugs etc. Funny thing being... it's 50x "bug A", 50x "bug B" and 50x "Bug C"... 150 threads about 3 bugs? Yup. And instead of searching people keep out pumping more and more and more... always have.

KOTOR 2 was incomplete but what was there wasn't actually all that buggy.

As the guy behind ridding TSL of it's bugs in TSLRCM I can assure you, it has a metric ****load of bugs. Almost every single dialogue has 'em, it was that severe.

And the game as a whole, straight out of box with no patches whatsoever, literally doesn't run. There is a nearly 100% crash-to-desktop bug with the Ebon Hawk near the beginning, when playing out of the box unpatched KOTOR II. The whole game is littered with unfinished quests, unfinished textures, horrid clipping, random crashes, memory leaks. There's two whole planets, almost finished but not-functional and never activated, buried in the base code.

On the other hand, I can't find thruth with this either... and I know, I've never touched 1.0b till working on TSLRCM, a good 5 years later, mostly due to the Telos Academy and other assorted issues (that was a baaaaad patch). Can't say I ever had it crash at all though, rarely once a playthrough.

Also you need to file me in on the "2 planets", since the only one I know is M4-78, and calling that 'nearly finished' would be laughable.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

A few others huge bugs that have lasted many updates are abilities having intelligence make them weaker when it should be the other way around.

In short obsidians system, great on paper, have never (not even for a day) worked even remotely as it should.

Vampire bloodlines and kotor2 wasnt this bad put together and both had huge issues. But in this day and age of endless patches to not even get the basic system right after half a year is completely unacceptable.

just log into bug pages and read about hundreds upon hundreds of issues

Pretty common on forums. Just open any ANY random Steam game's forums... you'd think all games are busted. Just so many pages of people crashing on their toaster.

Heck, open TSL's, the one I am most accustomed to. You will easily find hundred's of threads about crashes, bugs etc. Funny thing being... it's 50x "bug A", 50x "bug B" and 50x "Bug C"... 150 threads about 3 bugs? Yup. And instead of searching people keep out pumping more and more and more... always have.

KOTOR 2 was incomplete but what was there wasn't actually all that buggy.

As the guy behind ridding TSL of it's bugs in TSLRCM I can assure you, it has a metric ****load of bugs. Almost every single dialogue has 'em, it was that severe.

And the game as a whole, straight out of box with no patches whatsoever, literally doesn't run. There is a nearly 100% crash-to-desktop bug with the Ebon Hawk near the beginning, when playing out of the box unpatched KOTOR II. The whole game is littered with unfinished quests, unfinished textures, horrid clipping, random crashes, memory leaks. There's two whole planets, almost finished but not-functional and never activated, buried in the base code.

On the other hand, I can't find thruth with this either... and I know, I've never touched 1.0b till working on TSLRCM, a good 5 years later, mostly due to the Telos Academy and other assorted issues (that was a baaaaad patch). Can't say I ever had it crash at all though, rarely once a playthrough.

Also you need to file me in on the "2 planets", since the only one I know is M4-78, and calling that 'nearly finished' would be laughable.

You did the restored content mod? Then you're the expert to talk to here, not me. I'm going off of what I've read and such--not first-hand knowledge from looking at the games base code or anything, like you apparently did. If I was off on the number of planets or such then I was off. But M4-78 was close to complete enough for your mod to restore it as a functional place to go and do things. I know it took a ton of work and a long time of development, but there was enough there that you had to complete it--not actually build it.

The fact remains that the game is INCREDIBLY buggy. If you never played it until after 1.0b, then you really did not experience the majority of the game-breaking issues that were in that game at launch. It was one of the most crash-prone games I've ever played. It actually crashed more often than VtM:B for me, though it had slightly fewer non-crashing bugs in my play experience.

I particularly enjoyed the endless conversation-based stat increase for the Wookie. 40 Strength Wookies are a force to strike terror into the heart of the darkest Sith.

Edited by Katarack21

255Int wookiee yeah.

But like I said, I avoided 1.0b like the plague, so I did play the release version for a long time. *shrug* 1.0b caused the most common and oft reported issue! (The Telos Academy one) even 10 years after release till the Aspyr patch fixed that even if you don't use TSLRCM.

As for M4, the area was (and still is) not quite finished. Shoot through walls and such fun. Contentwise it was completely bare. So no, we did really have to build pretty much everything there but the still unfished and unfixable area build.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

255Int wookiee yeah.

But like I said, I avoided 1.0b like the plague, so I did play the release version for a long time. *shrug* 1.0b caused the most common and oft reported issue! (The Telos Academy one) even 10 years after release till the Aspyr patch fixed that even if you don't use TSLRCM.

As for M4, the area was (and still is) not quite finished. Shoot through walls and such fun. Contentwise it was completely bare. So no, we did really have to build pretty much everything there but the still unfished and unfixable area build.

Y'know, all the crashes to desktop and falling through the world and other such issues I had with that game, and I never hit that particular problem.

When it comes right down to it, it's not such a big deal. Ever since I made the mistake of uninstalling Ruins of Myth Drannor without the very first update and consequently uninstalled my entire operating system, I've had a pretty relaxed concept of what makes a terrible bug.

I don't really mind minor stuff like spells don't working as described, but when you find yourself replaying an area for the 3rd time due to bugs, it gets a bit tedious...

1st time through failing due to the endlessly levelling constructs (fond flashbacks to griding HoW trashmobs without any kind of loot, less fond once I realize there's no Mass Invisibility to simply bypass them this time)

2nd time getting back to town and switching in Pallegrina to try out St Ydwen, only to find the sword you'd picked up shortly before the constructs being absent from all characters + stash.

Edited by Rydier