Burning House in Stalwart...

Has anyone figured out how to rescue BOTH people trapped inside? Even after sending a party member in with really high strength and con, I was only able to figure out how to get the woman out. No matter what I did, the guard either got burnt or I took too long to figure out a way to rescue him and the house collapsed.

Nope, that might be part of the solution, but there is something else involved- my Druid couldn't rescue both either. He could manage either the lady or the man, the latter with as theorycrafter says an ice spell. I'm still not sure what you need to rescue both though. I tried with various characters, and couldn't. Not sure if it is possible, though I'd guess a Mage like character with high constitution might do it?

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I've sent Hiravias in, he had 5 in survival and athletics, saved the one on the felft first, later the other one.

Not sure it's just about survival and athletics though. Are you saying you managed to save both of them? Because I could save either one or the other but never both. Also a Druid with around 5 athletics and Survival. I'm sure that there is another check with the attributes as well though, maybe strength and or constitution?

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Ok, seems like he has some use then :) will try with him, thanks

Lord of Light

Reward wise it's best not to save them. Go in, grab that worthless ring, and go out. You get the 10 copper to have a drink anyways and the ring. If you save the woman, you can talk to her at the inn and *maybe* convince her to get you that bottle from the cellar. Saving the guy has 0 impact as far as my testing goes. I don't even know where he is after that.

I've tried this extensively, and here's what I found that you needed (all on the same character) to save them both:

1. Survival 5.

2. Perception 14 or 15.

3, Dexterity 10.

4. Might 10.

5. A cold spell.

6. Prybar? (this may be optional, especially if you have high Might).

7. Constitution 12.

8. Athletics 4.

• Like 4

Used Aloth to save them both.

My Aloth had zero survival skills but overcame that by having high constitution.

I used the following items with Aloth:

Ring of Thorns to boost dexterity by 3

Bracers of Enduring to boost constitution by 2

Prybar

Saved the man first with a chill spell, took the ring from the woman and used the prybar to save her.

My Aloth had zero survival skills but overcame that by having high constitution.

Prybar

Saved the man first with a chill spell, took the ring from the woman and used the prybar to save her.

Back up.

Your Aloth only needed to boost his Constitution by 2? Doesn't he have a base score of, like, 10?

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

Prybar

Back up.

Your Aloth only needed to boost his Constitution by 2? Doesn't he have a base score of, like, 10?

Yep the stat check to pass without survival is 12 constitution so adding that extra 2 did the job.  I had to use Aloth as he was the only one on my team that could cast chill spells which is required to save the man.

Edited by Acision

Reward wise it's best not to save them. Go in, grab that worthless ring, and go out. You get the 10 copper to have a drink anyways and the ring. If you save the woman, you can talk to her at the inn and *maybe* convince her to get you that bottle from the cellar. Saving the guy has 0 impact as far as my testing goes. I don't even know where he is after that.

The guy shows up during a quest in the fishery later on.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use Kana. He passes the Constitution, Might, and Perception checks and if he has the Rime trap chant, can quench enough of the fire to get to the old man.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

certainly possible with Aloth, add a con boosting (I put a +3 con belt) and a a dex boost item (ring of thorns), and make sure he has a cold spell to cast and a pry bar, grab the man first and then the woman (nabbing the ring off her first)

That's what I did, but I didn't even need the prybar, you can just raise that beam with 10 might.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Ok this is ridiculous, I can't spot the damn ring. I am using Hiravias, I boosted his Perception to 22!!! And still he can't see it. How much is needed? I want the ring called Frigid Claim just because, I won't even use it, but come on, I pass every check, I go for the man first, what is going on? Am I doing something wrong?  I am seriously thinking to change his Perception with the savegame editor just to see how high it must be to pass the check...

• 9 months later...

Ok this is ridiculous, I can't spot the damn ring. I am using Hiravias, I boosted his Perception to 22!!! And still he can't see it. How much is needed? I want the ring called Frigid Claim just because, I won't even use it, but come on, I pass every check, I go for the man first, what is going on? Am I doing something wrong?  I am seriously thinking to change his Perception with the savegame editor just to see how high it must be to pass the check...

This is an old post, but since this seems to be one of the two main threads on the burning house (at least the ones found via Google), I thought I'd chip in with an observation for any future players having problems here.

I strongly suspect Hiravias auto-fails finding the ring because he has only one eye.  It's a little difficult to be sure since the .conversation files can be a bit hard to read. But I do recall remembering  an Orlan character auto-succeeding (or at least having a bonus) to a size based check somewhere in the game on one of my playthroughs, so there might be precedence for this.

Anyway, just throwing this out there for any future players banging there heads on a wall trying to succeed with Hiravias.

• 4 months later...

Prybar

This