Bought Game on Steam, buying expansion on GOG impossible?

Oh, well, a pity. I could buy both expansions for the price of one on Steam.

Well, the Steam version has absolutely no Steam DRM attached to it--Steam doesn't even have to be running to play the game--kudos, again, to Obsidian for making that call.  Wouldn't have been fair or smart to have released a DRM-free version on Gog while wrapping the Steam version up in DRM, so Obsidian admirably didn't.

So there's no Steam DRM stopping you (I have many Steam-purchased games that I've installed outside patches & mods into successfully--they often "just work" without any effort on my part.)  Gog would have to sell the expansions separately--so I'd say go ahead and give it a shot.  Or at least shoot Gog customer-service an email and ask them about it.  Gog is more than fair about those things, and actually has a 30-day money-back guarantee that states they'll refund the full purchase price if they are unable to get the game you bought from them to run in your system...!  (Did you know about that? I'm assuming the refund policy is global.)  Of course, GOG may very well state somewhere that the expansions to the game are only guaranteed to work on the main game as purchased from GOG originally...Good luck!

Another tactic you might try if you don't feel like doing that is to send your local Steamworks a customer-service email and ask for price-matching with GOG on those expansions--sending them a link to GOG advertising in your area might just convince them. 

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

Gog is more than fair about those things, and actually has a 30-day money-back guarantee that states they'll refund the full purchase price if they are unable to get the game you bought from them to run in your system...!  (Did you know about that? I'm assuming the refund policy is global.)  Of course, GOG may very well state somewhere that the expansions to the game are only guaranteed to work on the main game as purchased from GOG originally...Good luck!

I doubt GOG would count that as not working on your machine. The policy is geared towards incompatibility due to OS or hardware. Not because you bought for the wrong game platform.

That aside, GOG has a block in place that prevents someone from buying any expansion or DLC that requires the base game, if that person doesn't own it on GOG. Interestingly, there was a glitch with White March that allowed people that didn't own the GOG version of PoE to buy the expansion, but I think they fixed that. So bottom line is he probably wouldn't be able to purchase the expansion anyway.