Accessing the expansion content in Trial of Iron after finishing the game

I'm not playing in that mode myself, but apparently there may be an issue where Trial of Iron players who finished the base game don't have a saved game from before the final area. So they can't access the expansion content without starting a new game. If that's true, that kind of sucks.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81378-help-i-give-how-due-i-continue-to-expansion-pack-spoilers/

seems so, any yes its sucks, i dont play the game until they provide a fix

---edit---

iam sorry for my rude post, but iam very sad at the moment,... i dont want to reload a old save because its destroyes the feeling of what i acchieved already
(and i dont know if i have this old save, i saved a lot and had to delete a lot of save games manually to keep save space) :-(((((

Edited by synfrei

No worries. Tbh, I agree with that complaint. I think we should have the option to do White March after Thaos if we want to, even if it doesn't make sense in the context of the story. But that's offtopic, so I'll stop here.

No worries. Tbh, I agree with that complaint. I think we should have the option to do White March after Thaos if we want to, even if it doesn't make sense in the context of the story. But that's offtopic, so I'll stop here.

That would be the logical thing. End with Thaos and continue a new story. I hope they implement the access to White March after activating the machine.

Pillars was written from the point of view that the Hollowborn controversy hasn't been dealt with yet.  If you could go back to the main gameworld after defeating Thaos, people would immediately start complaining that there's no C&C in the game because their "win" isn't being properly recognized.  And while you might think the devs could work around this by just adding a hearty "congratulations!" to each NPC's current dialogue, it's pretty clear that NPCs are going to have *very* different opinions about whatever solution you picked to "solve" the Hollowborn issue.  The devs would need to think through how each NPC would react to that, as well as removing any quests whose in-game rationale would be negated by the Hollowborn issue having already been addressed, which would then lead to complaints by people potentially unable to get whatever XP/gold/items would have come from those quests. 

Coding-wise, it would certainly be *possible* for the devs to let people come back to the main game after defeating Thaos, just as it would have been possible for BioWare to let people come back to the main game after defeating Sarevok.  But I can certainly see why both BioWare and Obsidian decided not to let this happen -- and am looking forward to being able to continue the main story in Pillars 2!

• Like 4

I understand the problem and I didn't expect them to incorporate the consequences of the ending into what was always meant to be a mid-level adventure. Still, in my opinion the current solution is just as immersion-breaking as continuing after Thaos (which is why I opted for starting a new game). Reloading makes me feel like my accomplishments are being erased, which sucks. I'd prefer to choose the lesser evil on my own.

• Like 1

Pillars was written from the point of view that the Hollowborn controversy hasn't been dealt with yet.  If you could go back to the main gameworld after defeating Thaos, people would immediately start complaining that there's no C&C in the game because their "win" isn't being properly recognized.  And while you might think the devs could work around this by just adding a hearty "congratulations!" to each NPC's current dialogue, it's pretty clear that NPCs are going to have *very* different opinions about whatever solution you picked to "solve" the Hollowborn issue.  The devs would need to think through how each NPC would react to that, as well as removing any quests whose in-game rationale would be negated by the Hollowborn issue having already been addressed, which would then lead to complaints by people potentially unable to get whatever XP/gold/items would have come from those quests. 

Coding-wise, it would certainly be *possible* for the devs to let people come back to the main game after defeating Thaos, just as it would have been possible for BioWare to let people come back to the main game after defeating Sarevok.  But I can certainly see why both BioWare and Obsidian decided not to let this happen -- and am looking forward to being able to continue the main story in Pillars 2!

To be fair, the expansion could continue between defeating "you know who" and before the effects of activating "you know what" have actually taken hold,.... a sort of immediate continuation before the full effects of the game ending take effect. (if that makes sense).

Essentially we are going to have the exact same problem when the next expansion arrives,... namely, we are not allowed to finish the game.

Its a bewildering decision to implement the DLC this way,... but if Obsidian must do so, then surely allow us to at least export/ import our characters? A time honoured BG and IWD tradition!

• Like 1

I understand the problem and I didn't expect them to incorporate the consequences of the ending into what was always meant to be a mid-level adventure. Still, in my opinion the current solution is just as immersion-breaking as continuing after Thaos (which is why I opted for starting a new game). Reloading makes me feel like my accomplishments are being erased, which sucks. I'd prefer to choose the lesser evil on my own.

i would prefer if i could play after defeating Thaos. Its like a Story which onfolds afterwards, books and tales doing this a lot, why not in this game... if there is no change how i defeated Thaos, its maybe not linear story and story is happening before Thaos but its better then loading an old save game to play the addon and then kill Thaos again... They cant undo killing Thaos in my mind, and for my oppinion good game design should find a way to tell this story from before Thaos or/and after defeating him. Can not be so difficult...

Edited by synfrei
  • Like 3

Also think it should be possible to continue

SO I teleported my Group out BEFORE I touched the last PILLAR (using the console)

BUT NOW THAT EVIL DVES have deactuvated the Castle managment !!!!!!!!!! WTF

Does anyone know how I could activate the Castle managment again ?

Honestly am not going to play the expansion on account of this and will try to return the product. I simply can't make myself undo completing the game, even if it's just an hour or so. I could do it with a secondary character I'm doing, but that was not what I wanted.

Does anyone know if Steam will accept refunds for DLC?

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 1

Honestly am not going to play the expansion on account of this and will try to return the product. I simply can't make myself undo completing the game, even if it's just an hour or so. I could do it with a secondary character I'm doing, but that was not what I wanted.

Does anyone know if Steam will accept refunds for DLC?

That seems rather childish to want to return the DLC for that reason.

Completing the game sets many things into motion as detailed in the ending slides. It would take a lot of development time to accurately portray the impacts of your decisions throughout the game world in order to allow you to continue on. Having no recognition of completing the main quest would be an order of magnitude more immersion breaking than having to load the 'past the point of no return' save and go do the expansion material.

Fallout New Vegas was handled in a similar manner. The completion of the main quest is so world changing that it can't be portrayed correctly without a massive outlay of resources that most people would not even make use of. Most people would go back and re-do the game from the start using the new 2.0 abilities and experience the DLC in the normal game flow.

Games that have main quests that actually have a big impact on the world end after the completion of that quest. Games that have main quests that do not have any effect on the world let you continue on forever. Skyrim's main quest had no impact on the world, no one notices or cares, completing the main quest or totally ignoring it did not make a difference. Much like all of the quests in Skyrim - become the harbinger of the Companions and they still call you welp and send you on missions to kill a bear  in someone's house.

There would be a lot of work in order to handle all of the possible permutations of your choices in order to accurately portray them. In the main city you can ally with one of three groups all of which will behave differently based on choices made during the missions, plus the decisions made during the Animancy trial will also change the actions of all of the factions.  Roughly that'd be 3 main endings X2 for choices made in the faction's missions X4 for the level of animancy allowed for a total of approximately 24 different scenarios that would all require different voice acting and artwork. Of which 23/24's of the work would be wasted due to it representing actions and choices not taken by you. 

Or they could have the end not change a thing which would be really immersion breaking. Why go through all the trouble and danger of saving the world if no one notices?

I much prefer that the completion of the main quest actually means something and if that requires me to load a save from prior to the final battle that is fine with me.

• Like 4

It works the same as tales in BG...

It was always said that this is a pre-end game expac... ALWAYS. I do not get why people are whining about it...

You also could not go to Durlags tower in BG once you were done with Sarevok... I mean... this was said from the kickstarter time that the expac will be TotSC type and it will be accessible before the end-game...

• Like 2

It works the same as tales in BG...

It was always said that this is a pre-end game expac... ALWAYS. I do not get why people are whining about it...

You also could not go to Durlags tower in BG once you were done with Sarevok... I mean... this was said from the kickstarter time that the expac will be TotSC type and it will be accessible before the end-game...

This is a big mistake. Why the devs didn't continue the story after the final battle? PoE has enough content and history.  I only played once BG, NWN, IWD series, as I've done with PoE. I'm dissapointed with the only option of reload an old saved game for accessing to WM instead of the last saved game. That breaks the story.

• Like 1

To be fair, the expansion could continue between defeating "you know who" and before the effects of activating "you know what" have actually taken hold,.... a sort of immediate continuation before the full effects of the game ending take effect. (if that makes sense).

Essentially we are going to have the exact same problem when the next expansion arrives,... namely, we are not allowed to finish the game.

Its a bewildering decision to implement the DLC this way,... but if Obsidian must do so, then surely allow us to at least export/ import our characters? A time honoured BG and IWD tradition!

That's crazy: let's play the first part of the expansion and after that, kill Thaos again. Oh no, the second part of the expansion has arrived. Well, let's play the second part of WM and kill Thaos for third time. Poor Thaos. Brilliant and ultrarealistic story design. I hope WM events don't affect to PoE 2.

Can't they do what Bioware does? After you beat the game you get transported back in time before the last mission, in this case probably before accessing the last area of the game, re-spawning back at your keep.

That's... basically reloading the pre-endgame save... which, you know, is presented to you... and people whine about constantly for whatever reason I don't know.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It makes no sense in insisting to make it so you cannot play past the ending.

Alot of people want to do this. That is why fallout 2 allowed it.

And why bethesda learned to do it with fallout 3 (aftet broken steel) and has said that the same will be true for f4.

Bioware has also gotten the point. Why piss off so many people?

• Like 2

And why bethesda learned to do it with fallout 3 (aftet broken steel) and has said that the same will be true for f4.

It simply does not make ANY sense in the game like PoE or BG...

Bethesda games are crap story wise in and terms of writing, they are big and boring sandboxes, where finishing main plot changes nearly nothing.

Did Bioware allow to play the ME3 AFTER the final mission or did it always port you before the last mission trigger? Were you allowed to play DA:O or DA2? List the games that allow you to play the game post ending screen and then think of their story. The ones with very heavy narrative NEVER allow to play post ending, as it would totally break the immersion of the world and no sane developer will create a second set of dialog of every NPC in the world just to allow to play in the heavily changed world.

You are just a bunch of whiny ****. Next time, learn to read the information that is given nearly 2 years in advance about the shape of the additional content. It is not a surprise to anyone who was even remotely following the news on the game in the last 2 years.

• Like 3

It simply does not make ANY sense in the game like PoE or BG...

Bethesda games are crap story wise in and terms of writing, they are big and boring sandboxes, where finishing main plot changes nearly nothing.

Did Bioware allow to play the ME3 AFTER the final mission or did it always port you before the last mission trigger? Were you allowed to play DA:O or DA2? List the games that allow you to play the game post ending screen and then think of their story. The ones with very heavy narrative NEVER allow to play post ending, as it would totally break the immersion of the world and no sane developer will create a second set of dialog of every NPC in the world just to allow to play in the heavily changed world.

You are just a bunch of whiny ****. Next time, learn to read the information that is given nearly 2 years in advance about the shape of the additional content. It is not a surprise to anyone who was even remotely following the news on the game in the last 2 years.

Please the elder scrolls is the best original open world rpg you can get your hands on at the moment......but i do agree bout your other statements,its just common sense that iron man is 1 save and if you beat the game theres no reloading...do what everyone else does and start over or move along.

Make easy money at home on your own time....I do:

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/swaguser19246113

Elder Scrolls is the most boring RPG out there. Opinions are like asses, everyone has one... I never managed to finish any TES game... I tried Morrowind, tried Oblivion and even tried Skyrim... Cities are small and dull, NPCs are crap, and story is average at the best... boring grind does not help it. Some dungeons have a redeeming factor, but overall are 'meh'. The worst part of those games is monster scaling and for example simple road bandits running in extremely expensive armor pieces.

But I guess only those really crappy story wise games can have an option of letting it be played out once you finish the 'main plot'.

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

Broken Steel was a good after ending DLC from what I vaguely remember. They made it so NPCs and world acknowledge what you did.

That's... basically reloading the pre-endgame save... which, you know, is presented to you... and people whine about constantly for whatever reason I don't know.

Thread about Ironman, never played it and most likely never will.

If a save is created like you said then wtf is this thread about and if not then..