Should I get Pillars on Steam or GOG? (Finally getting the game after kickstarting)

I have over a thousand games on Steam and several hundred on GOG, so either is ok. Steam is just a little easier as an environment for me, but all else being equal I have a little bias towards DRM-free so GOG.

I'm just asking, any advice before I click to use GOG?

For example, I see this expansion and in case I want to get it at some point, I see people with GOG asking how and not getting answers.

I think most of the grognards here will probably say GoG. I like GoG and I use that service a lot. I also use Steam, and probably more. The reason is simple, it takes care of the patches and whatnot for me. However, GoG will still patch. So the question is what's more convenient and which is cheaper. The considerations such as trust and whatnot are clearly not issues for someone who uses both services. Lately, because it's simpler, I use Steam a lot, but I've been leaning toward checking out GoG again more often just because I don't like to fall onto one side so often it can take me for granted.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

To be clear, cost isn't an issue because I'm talking about redeeming my kickstarter copy, not buying a new copy. Wanting to ask if there are any factors I'm not aware of before my 'when in doubt, pick DRM free' approach to pick GOG over Steam.

In the past, gog got some patches some time later than Steam. Not by much, though. Also, Steam allows beta patches and Achievements (should you care for that kind of thing).

Don't know how much that'll change with gog Galaxy, but right now I'd say Steam has slightly better features, while gog has the big DRM-free advantage.

Steam used to be much more convenient, but GOG has the Galaxy client now, which does autopatching if you want, tracks your played time and even supports achievements (it's all still work in progress). They tend to get patches a little later, though. But mostly the advantage Steam had over it is shrinking.

I don't know what problems people had with the expansion, it's sold normally on GOG. It's on the front page and all. Maybe you were reading the thread about DRM-free copies? These people are talking about physical non-GOG and non-Steam disks.

Edited by Rosveen

OE seems like they update steam abit faster, when stuff happens thou. Might be easier for them to work with. GOG Galaxy will probably measure up to par in a not too far away future, so it's really irrelevant unless you think DMR is an issue. My advice is to use origin, so you only have PoE in your client. That way, it won't be lost among your 1000's of other games.

OE seems like they update steam abit faster, when stuff happens thou. Might be easier for them to work with. GOG Galaxy will probably measure up to par in a not too far away future, so it's really irrelevant unless you think DMR is an issue. My advice is to use origin, so you only have PoE in your client. That way, it won't be lost among your 1000's of other games.

Thanks but I have several games on Origin already as well, and don't want to put anything more there than needed, just for simplicity.

I'm not worried about losing it on Steam or gog. I think I'll go ahead wit gog from the responses. One other factor could have been steam sales on the expansion, but...

Do you want your patches 1 day earlier?  Or do you want DRM free?

That is pretty much it.  The people talking about the patch delay is hilarious, it was never any real length of time and other than a couple very early bugs no patch has really changed the game in such a way that made it significantly better or worse.  If you care about achievements for some reason GoG has that now too and the autopatching as well.

There is very very little reason not to choose GoG.

OK. I was just sort of worried about if there was something like 'gog won't have the DLC's available nearly as well as Steam' or some other issue. There are presumably things like trading cards on Steam, but I don't really like to reward their doing that as helping them have more of a monopoly on digital games.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but given a choice between GOG and anything else, I always choose GOG.  I like what they're about - DRM free, you can download yourself a backup copy of the game you paid for, and with Galaxy you get the benefits of a client that auto updates for you and makes it easy to manage your games.

Don't get me wrong - I like and use Steam too, but I feel like they were getting close to monopoly territory and having something like GOG Galaxy out there competing with them will just make everything bettter for us, the gamers.