It also says "steal X second duration from each beneficial effect on the target" on my companions. How does that work?

You got a buff, you hit enemy who has beneficial effects, you get X seconds to your beneficial effects while they lose x presumably. 

Edited by Killyox

It also says "steal X second duration from each beneficial effect on the target" on my companions. How does that work?

You got a buff, you hit enemy who has beneficial effects, you get X seconds to your beneficial effects while they lose x presumably. 

But some companions get more seconds, one gets more crits, grazes converted, etc, and Edér doesn't have a bonus at all.

90% faster seems unintentional, though. Should only steal 10% speed; what does the description say?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think that's a bug because this stealing effect has appeared on a variety of different weapons without costing anything extra. Tidefall, for example, has it too. And yes, 80% extra speed stolen is ridiculous because, for properly built rangers, for example, it will lead to about 180% extra damage being dealt.

• 3 months later...

All of my companions have an icon next to their portraits, and an 'active effect' on the character sheet called Borresaine that says 'Steal x second duration from each beneficial effect on the target.'  The character who's wielding it, however, does not.  The icon and effect remain even if the weapon is in my stash.

Was your Borresaine-weilding dude charmed by any chance, and hit your party members with the bow?

What game version are you on?

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes, that's what happened.  I thought it was unlikely that I'd have hit all 5 of the other party members, but it looks like that's what happened.

At least for me it's mainly a cosmetic bug - text shows up on the character sheets, but it's not actually doing anything.

Spelltongue had the same issue and it was fixed in 2.03. If Borresaine is still doing it, we'd better raise it in the tech forum.

It is indeed a cosmetic-only bug, though rather annoying in my book.

I don't think the fix was retroactive. If you hit the dude with no icon with Borresaine now, you should see that the icon no longer sticks after the effect expires. However, to get rid of it on the other guys, you'll probably have to reload an earlier save.

Unless hitting them with Borresaine again triggers another timer on the existing icon and makes it disappear afterward. Just speculating, of course, but it might be worth trying.